Viper armor most flexible stat for both chrono and mirage?

Winegum.2395

Ascended armor is not cheap/easy to get, so in acquiring my first set Im trying to come up with a stat set that is the most flexible for all game modes and both chrono and mirage. Came up with something like this:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vhEQRAse8dncfClfi9fCGoBMrhlTj68IiisjMAShlr+Zz2tF-jRSBQBNU9n+pBZiPBA+t/wFV+dPdBkUJIe0aAgTCApA8alG-e

The big change here is using viper armor instead of berserker for chrono. and then viper armor + switching out trinkets and weapons to viper for mirage. I dont care about extreme min maxing, but I want to be effective at my role for each game mode.

Raids: as chrono I get ~99% boon duration and 1400 toughness. as mirage I switch out trinkets and weapons to viperFractals: as chrono my main concern is enough boon duration (for which this is slightly overkill), but im not worried about min maxing my damage so I think viper armor here is ok instead of berserker? as mirage, I just switch out trinkets and weapons againWvW: for both chrono and mirage I think having commanders is nice for the toughness, from which I also get power. then having viper armor gives me hybrid damage, which is a bit more balanced?Open world: lends itself mostly to mirage, but chrono damage with this setup is sufficient I think

I feel like if I get berserker armor then mirage isn't really playable, whereas getting viper makes mirage ideal but doesnt hurt the main job of the chrono in any game mode (as commanders is the most important stat). Is there a more flexible setup? Am I missing anything?

I guess the main question here, really, is whether using vipers instead of berserker armor is a huge detriment when playing chrono across different game modes?

of course over time I'll acquire specific armor stats for specific roles/specs, but for my first set of ascended armor is this the most flexible stat choice?

Breakdown of best in slot gear per game mode (desire and ease of use wise):

Open World PvENot really important, everything sort of works. Viper and Trailblazer will outperform everything as far as survivability and damage though no matter if mesmer, chrono or mirage. This choice should be personal preference since you are not limited in any way.

DungeonPower all the way but mesmer and any of its elites is not an ideal class here unless you plan on using skips with teleport.

FractalsFavor power and especially support chrono. Not as restrictive as raids but as support chrono you will have an easier time to get groups.

Mesmer - berserker full power buildChrono - mix of berserker and some commander (or minstrel for total heal overkill)Mirage - Viper

RaidsThis is where you will be the most pigeonholed as far as restrictions. As support mesmer or even better tank mesmer you are currently almost guaranteed a spot in raids groups due to the vast lack of tanks and chronos.

Mesmer - berserker for power core, works but you might not get taken as dps in PUGsChrono - berserker with commander mix (or minstrel) for support/tank roleMirage - Viper but not ideal on every boss and you might not get taken on certain bosses as damage dealer in PUGs

WvWHighly dependent on what you want to play. For big Zerg vs Zerg fights you definitely want Trailblazer (as Mirage) or Minstrel (as front line support chrono). Power works too as back line poker but you might get replaced for a more useful class in more organized squads. I'd definitely give this one to Trailblazer preferred as main choice.

--------------------------------------So what does all this tell you: Mesmer is expensive to gear.

Here is what it boils down to: if you want to play a damage dealer but are afraid you might not get taken along thus opting for getting your support gear first, you'll be spending a lot of time playing a role you might not enjoy. Go Viper or Trailblazer depending on how much fractals and raids you want to do. Especially fractals require ascended armor, raids you can get by with exotic.

If you enjoy playing chrono and are willing to play the occasional tank/support go for berserker with commander gear and fill in your condition gear later (use cheap condi stuff until then).

EDIT: don't let open world be your deciding factor. Exotic condi gear like dire, rabid or carrion will take of everything in open world just fine.

@Cyninja.2954 said:FractalsFavor power and especially support chrono. Not as restrictive as raids but as support chrono you will have an easier time to get groups.

Mesmer - berserker full power buildChrono - mix of berserker and some commander (or minstrel for total heal overkill)Mirage - Viper

RaidsThis is where you will be the most pigeonholed as far as restrictions. As support mesmer or even better tank mesmer you are currently almost guaranteed a spot in raids groups due to the vast lack of tanks and chronos.

Mesmer - berserker for power core, works but you might not get taken as dps in PUGsChrono - berserker with commander mix (or minstrel) for support/tank roleMirage - Viper but not ideal on every boss and you might not get taken on certain bosses as damage dealer in PUGs

So going back to my original question, why is berserker + commander ideal for chrono fractal and raids? why would viper + commander not work? The way I see it, Im there to give people quickness/alacrity, and that is provided by commander stats. Sure, having berserker gear would optimize my damage output, but damage isnt really my main role in PVE as a chrono

Wouldnt getting viper armor be better overall as its ideal for mirage, and at the same time doesnt hurt the main job of the chrono? i.e. I can perform both chrono and mirage roles perfectly fine? Whereas if I get berserker armor, im hurting mirage performance for a mild increase in chrono dps

@Winegum.2395 said:

Fractals
Favor power and especially support chrono. Not as restrictive as raids but as support chrono you will have an easier time to get groups.

Raids
This is where you will be the most pigeonholed as far as restrictions. As support mesmer or even better tank mesmer you are currently almost guaranteed a spot in raids groups due to the vast lack of tanks and chronos.

So going back to my original question, why is berserker + commander ideal for chrono fractal and raids? why would viper + commander not work? The way I see it, Im there to give people quickness/alacrity, and that is provided by commander stats. Sure, having berserker gear would optimize my damage output, but damage isnt really my main role in PVE as a chrono

Wouldnt getting viper armor be better overall as its ideal for mirage, and at the same time doesnt hurt the main job of the chrono? i.e. I can perform both chrono and mirage roles perfectly fine? Whereas if I get berserker armor, im hurting mirage performance for a mild increase in chrono dps

The weapons you use to provide quickness and alacrity are power based.

You'll also need to run Firebrand or Leadership runes in your armor. Those stats don't work on Viper gear without taking a serious hit in performance.

It would work, especially on fractals where you get 15% bonus from potions and fractal mastery. In raids you definitely would be struggling to reach cap boon duration. It again would work but you'd take a hit of performance in either area.

Running Viper armor with Leadership/Firebrand runes would be inefficient for damage.Running Viper armor with Renegade runes would leave you short on boon duration.

Archived