My current opinions on the drawbacks of PvP and how it stands now.
- PvP Ranked Queue is more reliably rewarding gold wise for quick losses than close wins, while this is re-portable in game as match manipulation the fact that it is rewarded in game means inevitably toxic/frustrated/exploit-y players will abuse this, and as much as I can try to encourage people not too for the health of the game and report players who do, the system could use some adjusting.
- Enjoy-ability is low if you want to play duo having to rely on/carry pugs is simply less fun than playing with friends you know. At the same time I can see the drawbacks on queue times and balance if we were to revert to team queue.
- Increase pip gain for winning a match, and decrease pip gain for losing a match. This may take adjusting so to not burn out players on a loss streak, but at the same time not reward inactivity.
- End of season rewards, if you can get 10-50 gold for Automated Tourney's daily, why not offer some rewards for how you placed at the end of a PvP season? While a badge is nice and shiny (and title if top 250), If you can get more gold by match manipulating its a very bitter victory. Not to mention you work hard for your placements, so would be nice to be rewarded based on how you place. Though I can see where some may feel this could also fuel toxicity by putting added pressure to climb the ladder, I don't see how AT's are much different. Not to mention, if you are playing more casually you probably would not mind 1-5 gold for placing bronze while some players have 50 gold for placing legendary. After all it would be gold you would not have gotten otherwise.
Some good things and further suggestions!
- Automated Tourney's in my opinion are a great way of reintroducing team play, they allow a competitive atmosphere for players to make teams and even allow casual players a chance to get into team play and have some fun.
- Remember that 2v2 custom arena you guys introduced?! Well that was genius, however relying on players to self organize it maybe not so much. I think the arena and concept were solid, so might I suggest adding 2v2 Automated Tourneys? This would allow players who like to duo queue a way to enjoy the game without relying on additional teammates from time to time, and may prove useful in diffusing built up tension from constantly playing with pugs.
While I do love PvP in this game I think there are many ways to improve the experience. I am not advocating going back to esports but more just simple balance, tweaks, quality of life improvements, and features to make the game mode more enjoyable, and engaging as we continue on.
Full Counter is supposed to counter everything, why else is it called FULL Counter... Just like 100 blades should really hit 100 times so you instantly die to retaliation.