Engi not wanted in WvW, what to play?

sticx.5823

Just returning to the game, and from what I've been told my old Main (Engi) isn't wanted for groups in WvW anymore. So I'm trying to decide which of my other chars to gear out so I can join in the fun. My understanding is that the current Meta is Firebrand, Scourge, Rev, backline Ele, & Spellbreaker. Is there any other class/spec that I might consider?

Never been a big fan of Guard, Necro, or Rev. So if those, above, are my only choices, I guess I have to chose between Ele or War. Or just not play WvW. :( Just wondering if I have the full understanding of things as they currently are.

I'm assuming you mean in zergs. All the medium professions are pretty bad and not wanted at all and are much better roamers or in havoc small scale, but the other 6 are great and wanted in groups.

Firebrand, Spellbreaker, Backline Rev, Backline Ele, Scourge, and Boonshare Mesmer are all great options to pick.

I guess it depends on what you want then. If you don't want to support as a firebrand or mesmer, out of spellbreaker and ele, spellbreaker is really a bubble bot and pretty boring to play in zergs imo. Run in, pop your bubble, run out. Woopie!

Backline ele has some sick numbers show up and easy tags and can be quite fun to play in comparison.

Pretty much any pof spec dominates non pof specs. that being said, it depends how you want to play. Warrior, spellbreaker is tanky and deals medium damage, but the winds of disenchantment make it a zerg (large group) must. Vanilla warrior set to heal with might generation is bursty, fast, and resistant to a medium amount of conditions. Warrior is a good roamer also. Ele is ok, but I believe weaver to be one of the strongest specs in the game. Its chain lightening burst is second to none, and it is very survivable against all classes. A well built weaver can 1 hit many thieves and severely punish classes that are out of invuln. Weaver is welcome in zergs, and is an ok roamer but lacks the mobility of warrior, therefore it is mainly attached to groups large and small. I would say either are an ok choice in this meta. If you were to ask me my choice of the two, it would be warrior, I am a conan the barbarian fan after all. Though weaver is arguably stronger in a fight against warrior, warrior is easy to learn, forgiving to the newest players, and in a group downright hard to kill. Vanilla is the best roamer, and spell breaker is a zerg must, so you will be welcome anywhere. Really, those two classes are top teir, with weaver having a slightly higher burst cap it is the go to for people wanting to just burn many classes with 1 hit. But either would be a great choice.

@Mysteriax.6049 said:How about firebrand? You're already familiar with kit-swapping. The tomes work in a similar fashion, and you can run a condi build like engineers are used to.

Can't explain why, I just don't like the firebrand. I think it's the slow lumbering nature of it, I played a pretty quick and agile engi back in the day. Tempted to just say screw it, and play my Engi, and either just not do WvW or try it solo (which probably won't go well)

@sticx.5823 said:

@Mysteriax.6049 said:How about firebrand? You're already familiar with kit-swapping. The tomes work in a similar fashion, and you can run a condi build like engineers are used to.

Can't explain why, I just don't like the firebrand. I think it's the slow lumbering nature of it, I played a pretty quick and agile engi back in the day. Tempted to just say screw it, and play my Engi, and either just not do WvW or try it solo (which probably won't go well)

Tell them to stick it. Play what you like. If they don't want you in their squad, who cares. Just pay attention to the flow.

@Rezzet.3614 said:Hammer revenantb is good engi replacement as ranged aoe nuker

What this guy said. I love my holo, I spec like a roamer, but I follow the zerg, I stealth, rocket boot to the back line, hit their backliners hard (especially forge skill 5) cause some choas then I rocket boots back to my own back line to heal up. It's not exactly a called for tactic, I don't even join squad. But I swear I make an impact. I mean if I stop some ele popping meteor, or stop a rev popping hammer aoe its a benefit. Not only that, their scourges tend to pop cooldowns on me.

If you do want to join a zerg, I would say a backliner might be a good transition, it is a lot more forgiving than frontline. Hammer rev is amazing, you could even spec to draw in conditions off your zerg. You will be welcomed in a zerg with this. Not only that, I think its a pretty fun spec with a ton of potential.

If you arent looking to join a wvw guild that is asking for a specific comp and you dont like other classes just play your engy. Im currently have a blast, (heh heh) on power rifle holo and do just fine in zergs. Rocket boots and stealth gives you the option to go mess with the backline, holo abilities and rifle give you the tools to hop in and out with the frontline. Very versatile and super fun. I rarely bother with joining squads but I do get invited to them, if that worries you. It shouldn't on holo, youre self sufficient.

Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Tell them to stick it. Play what you like. If they don't want you in their squad, who cares. Just pay attention to the flow.

I agree, don't play what others want you to play, play what you want to play. Really, people who block classes out of squad generally are the ones needing to hug another group to survive. In the end, it should be fun for you. As for the holosmith, it is pretty op. You will not be dissatisfied with it once you learn its full potential.

@sticx.5823 said:Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)

@sticx.5823 said:Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

youtube for mesmer wvw. she will own you in all fights

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)If you want to 2-man that in WvW, be sure to build you're engie incredibly tough with all the evades. Mesmer + anything other than heavy sustain, thief or another mesmer is a horrid combo as any enemy group will focus the second player while the mesmer cant help him/her/it.

My thief the way it is built is not wanted in most cases BUT IDC because I can pick off the back-line stragglers and I can do other things to assist the a running group even if they do not want me there. I will not hinder the group or get in their way but one more body cannot hurt imo as long as you are assisting in some way. I have never been told to get lost so even though I may not be wanted in a group they obviously see I am not hurting them either.

You have to be able to play the way you want. Most of the time I am a scout or answering the call for roamer to flip camp and what not.

HOWEVER if a group has rules and certain requests you also have to abide with that as well. You are already fighting an enemy no need to fight within. Good Luck!

@Dawdler.8521 said:

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)If you want to 2-man that in WvW, be sure to build you're engie incredibly tough with all the evades. Mesmer + anything other than heavy sustain, thief or another mesmer is a horrid combo as any enemy group will focus the second player while the mesmer cant help him/her/it.

Doing just fine on my alt engy that is in zerk exotic /shrug. I'm sure a more experienced engy will have no problem not running gear for novices.

@Celsith.2753 said:

Doing just fine on my alt engy that is in zerk exotic /shrug. I'm sure a more experienced engy will have no problem not running gear for novices. If anything, get a bit of vitality rather than toughness, it's the condis that get you xD

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Ya that's why I mostly roam solo on hammer rev. If I go with a stealth ally I get crushed pushing fights I wouldn't take solo. A good warrior/guard/necro are fun allies to roam with for a non-stealther.

As a fellow engie, my solution has been to play different games. The developers have treated Engineer like a red headed step-child shoved into the basement only to be brought out for drunken beatings. They have been so wild in their balance patches that I actually went full Celestial so that no matter what they did, I would at least be partially good at something. It is not your imagination, the balance has gotten that bad.

Archived