Will the Asian server be set up in the future?

If there’s enough players in that region of the world that can support a minimum of 3 servers or 6 servers (for WvW reasons) and enough people to play together for sPvP and PvE and also make setting up a new data center profitable, then maybe. Of course they won’t be able to play with EU or NA players and WvW would be forever those 3 or 6 servers fighting each other.

Not likely. in China, the game is played on servers owned by a chinese company (and it is a modified version). So that leaves only smaller Asian countries. Those of interest (economically) don't have a culture supportive of games like GW2.

Keep in mind there are EU servers and NA servers, but the NA servers count as 'others' too. So you are welcome there.

It's at least possible now, but I wouldn't count on it. With ArenaNet moving over to Amazon's servers, they've shown that they're capable of splitting a region between multiple datacenters. They wouldn't create a whole new region, but they could host select instances in Asia or any of the other Amazon locations.

The blocking issue at launch and since was that ANet hasn't figured out a way to transfer account data quickly from data center to data center. The game itself can play fine for EU folks on NA worlds or vice versa, but there's a ton of other data that also needs to be able transfer quickly and they haven't found a tech solution that they think is acceptable.

Up until recently, I would have said that's the end of the story. With the latest swap to using Amazon's distributing server system, they apparently have made some progress with the theory. So I've upgraded my prediction from "it will never happen" to "it probably won't happen."

Stephen Clarke-Wilson, on how things work:easy to deploy; hard to make them work

It's way easier to deploy servers now. We could turn on a game server in Australia ... but the game routing architecture wouldn't know that server was in Australia. It would route players to that server just as any other, assuming they were all near each other. It would be a big plumbing job to change how all that works. So, yes, easy to deploy new servers, but hard to make them work right in the current game.

"offshoot" data centers aren't practical

Unfortunately the game doesn't work in a way that makes it practical to have "offshoot" datacenters. We've thought about placing game servers in various places like a lot of PvP games do, but our megaserver architecture (in use since 2005) works better with a couple of big datacenters.

Further Reading

@Healix.5819 said:It's at least possible now, but I wouldn't count on it. With ArenaNet moving over to Amazon's servers, they've shown that they're capable of splitting a region between multiple datacenters. They wouldn't create a whole new region, but they could host select instances in Asia or any of the other Amazon locations.

That is enough,i only want reduse latency

@Danikat.8537 said:There's the Chinese servers, but they use a different version of the game too, which I've heard is a lot more focused on the gem store.

It's unlikely they'll add new servers at this point unless something happens to suddenly make the game more popular in a specific region.

At present, the state of the Chinese server is disturbing

• 5 months later...

Archived