Can we have 日本語 text in game?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:The game lets you type in Korean text but not Japanese? It is so weird. Would love to be able to text in Japanese in game.

cus gw2 not using the unicode range for thosesome chinese words are missing because of those unicode range as well

Interesting. I dont know anything about the coding process. But I do hope it can be added because it would be fun to talk in 日本語 with friends while gaming since it is a good opportunity to practice the language while playing the game we love!

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:The game lets you type in Korean text but not Japanese? It is so weird. Would love to be able to text in Japanese in game.

cus gw2 not using the unicode range for thosesome chinese words are missing because of those unicode range as well

Interesting. I dont know anything about the coding process. But I do hope it can be added because it would be fun to talk in 日本語 with friends while gaming since it is a good opportunity to practice the language while playing the game we love!

From what I know of programming that would be a significant change.

@Lunarlife.5128 said:

From what I know of programming that would be a significant change.

Ouch! Kinda kills my hope. =/

@"Shirlias.8104" said:So only hiragana and katakana are disabiled.You can write Chinese but not japanese.

Blank text reminds me of no game no life.

How do you set keyboard imput message yuki?

Ayyy, Shiro + Sora <3

Here is how I install keyboard input for japanese: (I'm using windows 7)

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Open up Region and Language
  3. Go to the "Keyboard and Languages" tab
  4. Click Add
  5. Search for Japanese, check the "Microsoft IME"
  6. Click OK
  7. You can see the "Advanced Key Settings" tab for how to change between english and japanese keyboard
  8. I'm using "Left Alt + Left Shift" to change between english and japan keyboard

Note:You need to put the cursor (the thing that flashing inside text box) inside the box that you want to type first before doing thisSometimes, the Japanese keyboard is using English word by default, if so, change it using left alt + `

Example how I usually do it:left alt + left shift, if it's showing japanese language, you're good to goIf not, press left alt + `

ANet's never commented why their GW2 fonts don't support additional unicode. I'm sure there's some sort of diminishing returns for them in terms of effort:benefit and it's possible some of their code "assumes" a more limited character set. There's also some added maintenance in that more unicode means more stuff to check for chat (as you can imagine, people use alternative characters to bypass ToS restrictions).

It's probably worth adding to the list of questions to ask during the upcoming AMAs. Related questions:

• Why doesn't the game include unicode for [insert favorite language set here]
  • Why isn't the game's text translated into [insert preferred language here]
  • Why don't we have "official" wikis in additional popular languages, since those would be player supported?

@"akenoyuki.8210" said:You can, but unfortunately only kanji is shownhiragana and katakana automatically transformed to blank text

Here's what I tryKanji: 愛 人 秘密Hiragana: あいうえおKatakana: アイウエオ

Result:lTJzMvF.jpg

The kana doesn't appear in the log, but I'm pretty sure it appears in the speech bubbles your character emits. It's strange the way they have these things set up.

Excelsior.

I am glad they did not do that so far. Other games, like League of Legends, also won't change that soon. When I see the typical "character not found in character set" black block instead of a letter, I know I have just been prevented to be spammed in Russian and their cyrillic alphabet literally nobody in that match would have understood considered the low Russian-only speaking playerbase. Why catering to the minorities?

The game should really stick to latin letters mostly. I see here and there it's apparently possible, but as said above, I hope they keep the map chat as clean as possible. You guys are apparently able to speak English pretty well and that's enough. Not sure why the game's chat is supposed to sound like the Big Apple in near future where people (like me) see something in chat just to realize it's something they can't understand anyways. It's really hard to get my point trough here, since private chatter is of course your own decision. But I think (and hope) arenaNet really sticks to an agenda more like: "English is the main language we all should be able to speak a bit and streamline from that point on." Of course that does not prevent French, German, Polish people from spamming their guild invites in their native language, but adding more of this mess of languages and characters as if the map chat is a private party won't end that well. Let's stick to English as often as possible, please.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet's never commented why their GW2 fonts don't support additional unicode. I'm sure there's some sort of diminishing returns for them in terms of effort:benefit and it's possible some of their code "assumes" a more limited character set. There's also some added maintenance in that more unicode means more stuff to check for chat (as you can imagine, people use alternative characters to bypass ToS restrictions).

It's probably worth adding to the list of questions to ask during the upcoming AMAs. Related questions:

• Why doesn't the game include unicode for [insert favorite language set here]
  • Why isn't the game's text translated into [insert preferred language here]
  • Why don't we have "official" wikis in additional popular languages, since those would be player supported?

There is that guy who asked for a Russian translation and some questions have been answered, and one has been answered by yourself already in your post. Plus: It'd cost money. For nothing really important, since it's only for "training purposes" of some people learning a different language, it'd also not spend money on that.

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

@killermanjaro.5670 said:It would be a nice addition to have, I'd also like to be able to use the game to practise a bit. Though in my case it would also be nice to display the furigana when I hover over a kanji character, as I'm only at N5 level XD

Can I study 日本語 with you?

Sure, though I really am quite awful and haven't studied for ages! I've forgotten so much that you'll most likely be miles ahead of my ability haha. Got a busy few months coming up too, so not sure how much time I'll have, but feel free to drop me a message in game sometime.

Archived