OCE guilds dying? they still a thing?

blackgamma.1809

There are always guilds leaving any/every MMO for all sorts of reasons. People in OCE locations are always going to suffer the most with GW2 since there aren't any nearby servers today (or any time in the near future) and I'd be shocked if folks were willing to put up with that level of latency for realm-vs-realm if there are alternatives worth trying out. Plus people burn out after a while and look to change (grass being greener etc).

@Shazmataz.1423 said:the recent move by Anet to use Amazon servers has increased OCX latencyIt's not clear that's the root cause. Most of the reports I've seen simply claim that it's so, without providing data that shows where packets are getting dropped/delayed.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:There are always guilds leaving any/every MMO for all sorts of reasons. People in OCE locations are always going to suffer the most with GW2 since there aren't any nearby servers today (or any time in the near future) and I'd be shocked if folks were willing to put up with that level of latency for realm-vs-realm if there are alternatives worth trying out. Plus people burn out after a while and look to change (grass being greener etc).

@Shazmataz.1423 said:the recent move by Anet to use Amazon servers has increased OCX latencyIt's not clear that's the root cause. Most of the reports I've seen simply claim that it's so, without providing data that shows where packets are getting dropped/delayed.

All I can say is lol.....filed support ticket, jumped through hoops, run all kinds of ping plotters traces.....which point to....Amazon servers. You can't move servers further away and not expect to cause increased latency.

Where do you play from Illconceived??

My ping hasn't changed drastically and I'm down in Tassie. I'm still under 300 ping most of the time. One thing I'll never do is move games just because of ping, unless the ping is absolutely unplayble. That is, if I find a game I like significantly less, it's an issue. Have you tried using a VPN?

@Shazmataz.1423 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:There are always guilds leaving any/every MMO for all sorts of reasons. People in OCE locations are always going to suffer the most with GW2 since there aren't any nearby servers today (or any time in the near future) and I'd be shocked if folks were willing to put up with that level of latency for realm-vs-realm if there are alternatives worth trying out. Plus people burn out after a while and look to change (grass being greener etc).

All I can say is lol.....filed support ticket, jumped through hoops, run all kinds of ping plotters traces.....which point to....Amazon servers. You can't move servers further away and not expect to cause increased latency.

How much further away is that, though? Or at all?I did some googling. And the submarine cable going to Australia has two access points in the US, either in California or Seattle.Now the Arena Net login servers were in TEXAS. Amazon servers are apparently either in Arizona or California. Either one would be geographically closer to the access points for the cable...I don't have traceroutes for pre and post move, but it probably has nothing to do with the physical location of the servers, but the path that your ISP uses to connect.

@"blackgamma.1809" said:i heard that Some OCE guilds are moving away from Gw2 and jumping to other games like ESO where they dont have to deal with constantly high ping on the regular.

any truth to this?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d5/b3/c7/d5b3c731d65bc4f872d8fc350743a48d--take-care-business.jpg

odeoncafedc.com/pic/img.picturequotes.com/2/5/4078/eventually-the-one-you-keep-taking-for-granted-is-going-to-leave-quote-1.jpg

deeplifequotes.com/image/62561962972

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

How much further away is that, though? Or at all?I did some googling. And the submarine cable going to Australia has two access points in the US, either in California or Seattle.Now the Arena Net login servers were in TEXAS. Amazon servers are apparently either in Arizona or California. Either one would be geographically closer to the access points for the cable...I don't have traceroutes for pre and post move, but it probably has nothing to do with the physical location of the servers, but the path that your ISP uses to connect.

Are you kidding?I have already said that I have run many traces and ping plots....Also this....https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7doj1l/anet_can_we_please_get_an_actual_way_of_checking/dpzhpyd/?context=3

There has been some improvement since the initial migration but it is still at least 50ms worse than the "old" server setup. My hope is that Anet will continue to tweak things on the new servers so that things improve for those outside the States.Seriously though I don't think that anyone based in the States has any idea of how it is to play with the latency that is experienced by those who play from outside the States. After a trip a couple of months back to the US, I was astounded how easy it was to play wvw there on hotel wifi (which by all accounts is pretty bad) it bears no comparison to how crippled by latency the gameplay is from OCX.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

Are you kidding?I have already said that I have run many traces and ping plots....Also this....https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7doj1l/anet_can_we_please_get_an_actual_way_of_checking/dpzhpyd/?context=3

There has been some improvement since the initial migration but it is still at least 50ms worse than the "old" server setup. My hope is that Anet will continue to tweak things on the new servers so that things improve for those outside the States.Seriously though I don't think that anyone based in the States has any idea of how it is to play with the latency that is experienced by those who play from outside the States. After a trip a couple of months back to the US, I was astounded how easy it was to play wvw there on hotel wifi (which by all accounts is pretty bad) it bears no comparison to how crippled by latency the gameplay is from OCX.

Game is dying bud all Offhours guilds (OCX, SEA, EU) are gone already or in the process of dying on north america servers, hell even NA prime guilds are dying, you should move on too, game is just terrible and boring and arenanet developers hvnt done anything to make it better in years, all the do in fact is to make it even more boring, never merged servers in 5 years even tho WvW population has decreased ins aprox 90%, adding retarded stuff like tactivators, shield gens, and siege disablers, they dont listen to the comunity, never have they think they know better. Good luck in ESO m8.

@Shazmataz.1423 said:

Are you kidding?I have already said that I have run many traces and ping plots....Also this....

I'm from the EU, so i only need those servers to login, chat, and a few other things.After reading the reddit more, i realized i was working under false assumptions. Someone in the forums said the new servers were in Arizona, , but according to the Arena Net guy on reddit they're in Virginia, so yeah, that would add a whole continental US to your signal travel.

@Vayne.8563 said:My ping hasn't changed drastically and I'm down in Tassie. I'm still under 300 ping most of the time. One thing I'll never do is move games just because of ping, unless the ping is absolutely unplayble. That is, if I find a game I like significantly less, it's an issue. Have you tried using a VPN?

Lucky. My internet in Sydney is so bad (TPG, ADSL2), I average around 400-500 and often spike to 700 - 900 ping (extreme cases i get into the thousands). A couple of times I've had 0 ping because it was so high the game could not register.

Waiting patiently for the NBN roll-out.

Archived