My story doesn't matter anymore — Guild Wars 2 Forums

My story doesn't matter anymore

When I first made my character in GW2, I was under the impression that my personal story, the five multiple-choice questions, affected gameplay somehow. And they did, at least for the first few hours of playing.

I understand that one choice determines a profession-dependent aesthetic aspect of my character, the second question determines my initial personality, which affects how NPCs react to me, and the final three questions relate to my patron deity, my background, motivations, and experiences. That's really cool! I don't get those options in other games.

But after level 30, I feel like my choices at character creation don't matter anymore, like, at all. I keep reading into things as I go along, thinking , "Maybe he said that because I chose Dignity," or "Is she looking down on me because I chose Commoner?" In reality, I know that my choices at character creation don't matter anymore. But I wish they did. I've been level 80 for quite a while now, yet having been blessed by Kormir when I was young doesn't seem to matter, nor does the fact that I never searched for my true parents, or their (spoilers) deaths at the hands of the White Mantle.

Why doesn't my story matter anymore?

Comments

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017

None of those choices matter beyond which story arc you follow.
    Choosing a helmet, or no helmet, or fancy shoulders...just unlocks that skin. It does nothing else for the character or how your character plays.
    Choosing that your character uses charm (or dignity or ferocity) does nothing. All the dialog is the same depending on the NPC and story step you are on.
    Choosing a patron God (odd that the 4 non-human races also have to choose one of the aliens the humans worship as gods during creation)...does nothing.

Once you get past the level 30 quest line, your character follows one of the Pact arcs, so it wouldn't have mattered what happened before that anyway.

I wish I could explain to you why your story doesn't matter anymore, but the problem with that thought is the word "anymore". Your personal creation choices, and even more so the race you chose, never mattered. All of the story arcs, even character creation where you choose a human god (even if you are NOT human), are written as if you are human. Anet is writing all the story arcs as if every player is human with all of the choices already chosen for you. Eventually. they force your character to follow/join human only paths forgetting that there are 4 other races in their game.

The game is fun to play, and there are kitten other gaming choices out there, but the only choices available in GW2 are whether or not to buy gem store outfits/mounts, and if you choose yes...which one(s)?

Carnished Toast (Yum)
    Lost in the Maguuma (TC)

• blambidy.3216blambidy.3216 Member ✭✭✭

Technically all the choices matter through whole personal story. Your race effects you. When you choose what status of wealth you are. When you choose a certain clan. Then when you go into the last couple chapters it matters how you want to help stop the war and stop zhaitan. Each chapter your have couple of choices. The first three are effected by race, or your main personal story you choice when creating character. Then the rest are how you want to kill zhaitan. So actually it technically does matter. how you want to kill the mouth of zhaitan and the eye. And choosing the clan chooses different ways also. If you want to really go there, theres probably 50 different choices to pick . 5 diff races makes about 15 diff story choices from the beginning to level 30 chap. three different choices for the clan till about chapter level 50. so thats 9 diff choices. Which does change the type of battle you do. chapter 60-80 which give 2 diff choices each chap. Just by that i told you 30 different choices that effect story. However in chapters theres also different choices to make within instances. So to say about 50 could be right but i could also be wrong.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

if you think that's the only thing they did wrong from launch, you should've bin there since beta and you'll know the kitten load they did wrong since launch.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DiscipleofLaw.3796 said:
    Oh okay, well that's good. I was bummed that the initial character creation stories didn't actually matter beyond lvl 30.

And actually, I experienced a fun dialogue today when I talked to Kormir in her library. My character said, "That's Kormir! She blessed me at birth, but I never thought I'd—hail to you, Goddess of Truth." I was like, "Yay! My choice matters!"

Yeah, sometimes newer "parts" of the game "react" to your past choices. It was awkward to meet Ceera again when HoT came out. :( <- I'm sure some people can relate.

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

the monetn Anet added living story, we have lost all of our meaning to our personal storys as it became degraded into a meaningless "start up story" for the main game to give your character beasically at the end only a reason to fight off the very first Elder Dragon with that you the stone to roll for the events that followed after that through the living story...

Basically it would be best for the game to completely rework and redesign the person story all around season 1's reimplementation and brign the story of the main game practicalyl back as "Living World Season 0" as kind of a prequel to Living World Season 0 in which then also all the other LW characters can play a role and get shown in the story also ,what they did back in the time when you went for killing Zhaitan, when they didn't knew each other at that time.

I#d love to see what taimi did do in the past when Zhaitan was still alive, or what Kasmeer did all back at that time, or Rox.. thats all past of them which we don#t know, because Anet all introduced these characters first to us at a time, after that we defeated Zhaitan, without providign us some lore to what all of these characters did do earlier in time, but which woudl be really intestign to know.

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm told that raids will pay some attention to it. I can't speak from personal experience of this, but apparently the various random dialogues your character spits out as flavor will depend on your initial creation choices. Raiders, got any examples?

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

tbh I wish our personal story matter less. One of the things I miss about vanillia tyria is how the npc just treated you as random adventure #394. Nowadays npc just fangirl over the "commander" wherever you go. Ugh, not a fan of power fantasy storytelling, but unfortunately nobody seems to know how to make a mmo that isn't based on power fantasy,

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

• I actually wish Anet would make a Personal Story Part 2, maybe as an intro to the next expansion, where our character got to do some individual stuff again that would lead up to the next part of the story.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of choices matter, beyond the first levels, but they matter less often and in different ways. Later in the story the pale tree gives you a choice which changes one of the story arcs. In some of the living world stories, you get different options based on your profession. In one instance, engineers, rangers and necros can do things others can't. In a recent episode of a living story it's a bit different for each profession.

And if you're on a Sylvari there are numerous differences in the HoT story line.

However making a game where every choice matters for years would mean too many instances to create enough content to feed the masses.

• Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:
    Choosing a patron God (odd that the 4 non-human races also have to choose one of the aliens the humans worship as gods during creation)...does nothing.

That's not true. Only humans pick one of the 6 gods at character creation, the other races get different (equally irrelevant choices). The pattern is:

When I read that post, I was like "Huh? I don't remember my Charr picking a human god...", glad to know I'm not crazy. Unfortunately, I haven't made a new character in ages and forgot the beginner choices I made. Is there a way to be "reminded" of them for each character?

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

That's not true. Only humans pick one of the 6 gods at character creation, the other races get different (equally irrelevant choices). The pattern is:

When I read that post, I was like "Huh? I don't remember my Charr picking a human god...", glad to know I'm not crazy. Unfortunately, I haven't made a new character in ages and forgot the beginner choices I made. Is there a way to be "reminded" of them for each character?

It'll all be listed in your story journal, fourth icon down in your hero panel.

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017

Hum... Personally, I appreciate that story lines (main and else) don't matter too much, because they are out of the activities I like the least in the game. Usually, I do story line once only to unlock what is necessary, and I never return to it unless I am forced to it in case I lack mastery points. 80% of my chars have never done their personal story line apart from the mandatory one at creation.

Aside of this, I understand your point of view OP. One of my friend is like you and think alike about it.

I believe that the reason is that GW2 is a game with multiple contents satisfying a big variety of players. However, the counter part of this variety is that the game is not going "fully" into one or the other activity, as in does not offer the same content in each activity as if the game would be dedicated to that activity only.

It is hard to explain what I mean, hope I make sense! :3

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Crinn.7864 said:
    tbh I wish our personal story matter less. One of the things I miss about vanillia tyria is how the npc just treated you as random adventure #394. Nowadays npc just fangirl over the "commander" wherever you go. Ugh, not a fan of power fantasy storytelling, but unfortunately nobody seems to know how to make a mmo that isn't based on power fantasy,

Have you ever played Morrowind? (The 3rd Elder Scrolls game.) In that you still save everyone from certain annihilation but in the process you go from the scum of the earth to just about tolerable in the eyes of the locals. (Especially if you play one of the 'beast' races.)

There's other, less extreme, examples too. Mainly games where there's less communication between people in different areas of the world, so you can save a town and the people there will be grateful, but the people elsewhere will have no idea it even happened and when you walk into town you're just some random who just showed up.

If you want a game where you never get to save the world however I think you need to go for sandbox MMOs with little/no overall story. Otherwise RPGs usually are about saving the world, either single-handedly or as part of a team of some sort.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, they completely retconned the Asura out as a playable race, what with taimi treating us as skritt-level intellectuals..

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017

@Ubi.4136 said:

>

insert “what.gif” here.
    Humans choose a deity, Norn choose a spirit, Sylvari what time of day they’re born.. etc

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• The choices matter more then people often realise. For example. The race you pick decides what lesser races you can help in the level 50 arc. This also plays a role in the story chapter where you lure out the eye of Zhaitan (level 80 story arc). Just one of many examples.

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    , Destiny's Edge had no sylvari member because the player was it,

Sorry, just need to throw this in there. Caithe is the Sylvari member of Destiny's Edge. DE2.0 didn't have a Sylvari member until part way into HoT, so in that case you're mostly right.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger
    |Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior
    |Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant

• @Crinn.7864 said:

The OP was talking about the personal story in vanilla Tyria. I wouldn't consider the "commander" story to be a "personal story" at all. Rather, the whole "commander" thing seems a result of moving away from our personal story. Personally, I don't view the "commander" as my character at all.

• Xar.1387Xar.1387 Member ✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017

Try RolePlay if u want to see that your choices really matter.
    If it comes to the game plot, you have to remember thats just MMORPG. And endgame is more important in this kind of games, than story.

http://aiwe.eu - Polish (RolePlay / Raid / PvP) guild

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DiscipleofLaw.3796 said:
    When I first made my character in GW2, I was under the impression that my personal story, the five multiple-choice questions, affected gameplay somehow. And they did, at least for the first few hours of playing.

I understand that one choice determines a profession-dependent aesthetic aspect of my character, the second question determines my initial personality, which affects how NPCs react to me, and the final three questions relate to my patron deity, my background, motivations, and experiences. That's really cool! I don't get those options in other games.

But after level 30, I feel like my choices at character creation don't matter anymore, like, at all. I keep reading into things as I go along, thinking , "Maybe he said that because I chose Dignity," or "Is she looking down on me because I chose Commoner?" In reality, I know that my choices at character creation don't matter anymore. But I wish they did. I've been level 80 for quite a while now, yet having been blessed by Kormir when I was young doesn't seem to matter, nor does the fact that I never searched for my true parents, or their (spoilers) deaths at the hands of the White Mantle.

Why doesn't my story matter any more?

Not quite, I see you've made a human...
    The "Commoner" part decides the whole first chapter of your personal story (lvl 10-20 story), the other (The "regret") one decides your second chapter(20-30? - not sure about the levels, haven't done much of the LS after it was locked to these levels).
    The Gods part is kind of only for flavour afaik, while the Dignity, etc was there for a system that was deprecated (You used to gain different "titles" as you gained more dignity, or Charm, etc), but still show in different dialogue options.

So if you made a new human character but picked entirely different answers your game experience would be completely different. As in you'd have a different "childhood friend" and would have a completely different quest for the first two chapters.

Those choices, however, only carry inside the personal story and your home instance.

Check the wiki for more insight:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography#Race_questions

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere that the original plan was to make the choices at the beginning matter more. Now though beyond level 30 in the personal story your choices may as well have been random.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

@Menadena.7482 said:
    I read somewhere that the original plan was to make the choices at the beginning matter more. Now though beyond level 30 in the personal story your choices may as well have been random.

Well, when they revamped the story to make it "more appealing" to the masses (as in really dumb people that couldn't handle the game without all the hand holding you get now) they actually removed one of the BEST story steps that gave some gravitas to the story. The "Your greatest fear" step.
    I think they have added it back now, but they messed up the story a lot for a while.

We got what people wanted. GW2 at launch gave you freedom to do whatever, you just had to use the weapon to unlock the skills (not level locked), you could (iirc) equip both sets from the start, your first story step was doing a heart ^_^, and subsequent ones were serialized into smaller level intervals, one mission per interval, instead of the current one chapter per 10 levels.
    The narrative time-line was different than what it was last time i did the story, and there were stuff in place to make your behaviour matter more (although those never saw complete implementation).
    But a lot of people were "turned down" by all that freedom and "didn't know what to do". So Arena Net felt compelled to add all that hand holding, and the NPE (New player experience) was created, and completely killed any possibility of "choices" being relevant.

Although one thing's for sure, they really couldn't do it too differently, because in the end the story needs to converge to the same exact ending, for cannon and continuity, which is why post lvl 30 most of what you did in the previous steps doesn't really matter.

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

Your story ends with orded arcs. Rest of the game is about commander fighting dragons.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Well, when they revamped the story to make it "more appealing" to the masses (as in really dumb people that couldn't handle the game without all the hand holding you get now) they actually removed one of the BEST story steps that gave some gravitas to the story. The "Your greatest fear" step.
    I think they have added it back now, but they messed up the story a lot for a while.

Yeah, adding whashername was a real snafu as she bugged me every day to 'fix' things. Not that it mattered what I said to her. If I let her add the step I did not get to do it anyway and knew she would ask me again tomorrow but if I did not let her add the step she would also just pester me about it the next day.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:
    Your story ends with orded arcs. Rest of the game is about commander fighting dragons.

That was basically my feeling. Every time I would do the battle of Ft Trinity then it would be 'ok, finished now'.

• One of the things I was thinking about in a post about our decisions in POF having a direct and negative impact on Tyria and its denizens is how would the consequences play out? That led me to thinking about the personal story and how it's no longer really relevant.

But as I thought about it more it made sense to incorporate a personal story into the next expansion or even serving as the BASIS for the next expansion as we work to rebuild our reputation within Dragon's Watch, our race, the Pact, and the world in general.

By treating this type of journey as BASIS for the next expansion, we could flesh out our personal choices (within reason, of course) to tell a deep story of personal redemption.

edited December 28, 2017

@Robj.6815 said:
    One of the things I was thinking about in a post about our decisions in POF having a direct and negative impact on Tyria and its denizens is how would the consequences play out? That led me to thinking about the personal story and how it's no longer really relevant.

But as I thought about it more it made sense to incorporate a personal story into the next expansion or even serving as the BASIS for the next expansion as we work to rebuild our reputation within Dragon's Watch, our race, the Pact, and the world in general.

By treating this type of journey as BASIS for the next expansion, we could flesh out our personal choices (within reason, of course) to tell a deep story of personal redemption.

That would be a great idea, but i don't think it's feasible, not in any great depth. Because at the end of the story everyone has to be at the same point, having experienced the same overall story beats. So basically your suggestion would be similar to that story chapter i mentioned, when your greatest fear becomes true, and people die on your watch, and you have to try and redeem yourself.
    That story step was considered so secondary that they actually removed it for a while.
    In the end, i agree with you, there's a lot of loose threads in the story, and your own personal story beats from the past do get ignored for the most part.
    Would be nice if a couple of chapters within LS4 dealt with that (since they actually need to fill a longer time, because no "content draught"), but you also need to understand that some things might not be doable because of how the time-line works in GW2. Where each map is frozen in time, and are not all contemporary to each other (like Orr is stuck at 5 years ago - pre final chapter of personal story, SW and HoT (except Dragon Stand?) are stuck before Mordremoth died, etc.).

• @Robj.6815 said:

The issue that I have with this is that there is no redemption to be had. We didn't choose the actions that would require redeeming and, as such, making the redemption personal wouldn't make sense. The "commander" might need redemption, but the player character does not.

• @Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Robj.6815 said:

The issue that I have with this is that there is no redemption to be had. We didn't choose the actions that would require redeeming and, as such, making the redemption personal wouldn't make sense. The "commander" might need redemption, but the player character does not.

But the PC does need redemption as it is our avatar acting in the role of "Commander". Granted, if you're RP'ing it doesn't work so well but it works within the context of our actual role within the story.

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Robj.6815 said:

@Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Robj.6815 said:

But the PC does need redemption as it is our avatar acting in the role of "Commander". Granted, if you're RP'ing it doesn't work so well but it works within the context of our actual role within the story.

Actually PC plays different role in different places.

My idea is that PC is commander in story, obviously. But in open world it feels like we are one of many explorers coming with commander. In first raid our squad is a group of explorers going to the rescue. In fractals we are one of many fractal travelers. PC is not one character.

• There are many, very small changes that your choices make in the stories. They are there, you just have to pay attention to them.

• Most of the decisions you make in the game do not effect the events after Zhaitan's defeat. The reunion with your special friend during the final fight in Heart of Thorns was a nice idea.

What made me smile, most of the times, was the alignment with your order. When traveling central Tyria in particular, talking to representatives of your order always granted you some interesting side information. Sometimes it was the only way to unlock a certain door, because only a member of the Order of Whispers was allowed passage. Or the friendly gate-worker in Rata Sum, who offers a special/hidden dialogue to priory-members. The pact is still runing and you meet them all across tyria, even in the Path of Fire zones. You can still see Priory, Order of Whispers and Vigil. They all walk under the same flag, but you can identify them one by one.

It would be nice to have some chats with your old comrades, maybe even some hints or access to special bundles for the sake of good old times. When we pick an order in our personal story, we pick them for life.

The major reason, our decisions no longer have a lasting effect: The level 80 boost. I hate to be the one always pointing at it, but in this case it is quite obvious. The majority of characters created nowadays never complete or even start their personal story. They use the booster or scrolls to jump to 80, then start either HoT of PoF. Aside from the decisions made in character creation, they have done nothing. It would be rather unfair to grant people who did the personal story a boon and punishing those who used the boost.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.