About to hit 80 - where to get my exotic gear?

Crafting, dungeons, or verdant brink bladed armor boxes. Between the 3 verdant is the cheapest in my opinion, requiring you to spend a few events to drown in crowbars. After that just find airship cargoes for the airship parts and buy the armor from the vendor, bonus if you manage to get an armor from the cargoes. Be warned though, you need to have itzel lore mastery in order to buy the bladed armor, and the chest can onlybe obtained by either randomly by killing the bosses at night or getting to t4 for a guaranteed one. You can also try your luck with dungeons, post and lfg and wait around till you get a group.

For exotic armor, there are karma merchants in Orr who will sell them for karma and save you the gold (yay! :D) :

If you've been logging in daily, you may have a few Chest of Exotic Equipments lying around. You can pick the chest class (warrior, guardian, ranger, etc.), but you can't pick the stats since they're given at random. I don't recommend this.

As for weapons, I would just buy them off the TP or hold on to your rare weapons until you find an exotic. I personally crossed my fingers to get lucky and find them, but I think 9 gold should suffice to get a couple of exotic weapons for yourself :) And because I love the wiki so much (as you can see by my overzealous linking), there's a somewhat exhaustive list of getting exotic weapons. I say somewhat, because I'm pretty sure that there's other vendors not listed who sell exotic weapons, but they're also relegated/locked behind Living Story Season 3 which probably explain why they aren't listed.

Cool cheers! I did just buy both expansions a couple days ago. Been playing around in free mode for a little while. Actually made this account a long time ago but never got very far. Now I’m back and ready to commit properly to this game.

Loving dynamic events. Don’t spend so much time in lobbies or lfg stuff or whatever. Just log in and go smashing. Love it.

Depending on what class you're playing, some exotics are cheap enough in TP. If you play a condi class, Rabid Exotic armor pieces are around 70 silver last I checked. You can place buy orders for those. For power classes, Berserker's are usually more expensive, but a mix of Knight's/Cavaliers from TP and some Berserker/Assassin pieces from Karma Merchant / Bladed sets should be viable.

Berserker’s Exotics are only expensive if they’re crafted. If you’re looking for a Berserker exotic set, I’d recommend searching the TP for ‘Zhed’ ‘Nika’ or ‘Devona’ (Light, Medium or Heavy). Also known as Named Exotics/Armor.These will cost a fraction of what the crafted sets do.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor

For Thief I would recommend Berserker stats (unless you want to go the condi route). Back when Dungeons were a thing, many players ran Citadel of Flames for their Berserker armor and weapons. Paths 1 and 2 can be farmed quickly and even today you will find a group for these paths in a reasonable amount of time. Just tell the others in your group that you're new, so they will explain what to do and you don't accidentally end up stalling the run. You will get special dungeon tokens that you can trade for armor and weapons in Lions Arch. Here is a guide on how to get exotic gear cheap: http://guildwars2.rocks/saving-money/cheap-exotic-gear/

As for trinkets I wouldn't bother with exotics. Just go for ascended directly. Here is a little guide on where to get ascended trinkets quickly: http://guildwars2.rocks/saving-money/cheap-ascended-trinkets/

Trading post at first. Afterwards, farming achievements and gear from specific merchants. That said, I also got a vast majority of my ascended gear from farming PvP daily rooms. But I think they nerfed that to oblivion some time ago. Haven't seen any purple gear for a while. Still, some of the reward tracks give amazing loot.

To farm money, I recommend any of the current loot trains. For a while it was in Ishtan, but I don't know if that train's still running. You can definitely farm the stash boxes out there for some nice material and loot.

Some people are also farming the Wintersday jumping puzzle if that's your thing.

@MrMojoRisin.7364 said:So my thief is about to hit 80 tonight.

Where is the best place to fit myself out in exotics?

I’m sort of new so only sitting on about 9 gold.

I have 2 x boosts. If I use them on other chars, I’ll get a little gold as well?

Welcome to gw2 offically, I did the same thing as you and no regrets.

For exotics there are 7 options:

1. Buy them off the trading post.
  2. Buy them from karma merchants in orr.
  3. Get exotic chests from daily login rewards.
  4. Craft them
  5. Buy them off the dungeon merchant.
  6. Find them from rewards for doing big quests or bossess in dungoens/raids.
  7. Find them by unlocking special chests, like exalted chest or pact supply crates.

I personally would suggest buy them off the dungeon merchant located in lion arch or if you are stacked on gold then by from trading post, you can get full beserker set for 20g ish but if you can afford it with your current set do HoT map meta events and get crowbars or exalted coins to open the chest/supply crate.

Also regarding lvl up boosts, dont use them just to get gear use em on some class you would love and its lvl 2With every boost you get soilders set exo armor and weapons and 2 gold.

@"MrMojoRisin.7364" said:So my thief is about to hit 80 tonight.

Where is the best place to fit myself out in exotics?

I’m sort of new so only sitting on about 9 gold.

I have 2 x boosts. If I use them on other chars, I’ll get a little gold as well?

I bought Nika's armor from the trading post after boosting my thief:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nika%27s_armor

The set costs about 12 gold if you buy instantly. As thief, you get Valkyrie armor from the boost, which is one of the worst stat combinations for thief, but that's another topic. I also bought 6 runes of the scholar. I'll use this set as it is until I replace piece for piece with ascended armor. 12 gold is not much for that.

@Faaris.8013 said:As thief, you get Valkyrie armor from the boost, which is one of the worst stat combinations for thief.

It’s really not the worst, not the best stat but definitely not the worst. It’s a poor mans Marauder set when teamed with berserker trinkets.

Since the other professions get Soldier stats from the lv80 boost, except Necro who get Rabid, thief getting Valk is actually not that bad.

man, how many days until the TP fully unlock after i bought my expacs? need some gear!

i solo'd the PoF intro last night solo in an average 65-70'ish gear (my amulet is 45 ffs). i'm pretty proud of myself that i did it first try, but i kited and picked away at those 2 x fire dog things for like 20 minutes at least. was pretty epic, but i bet lvl 80 exotics would have made it way easier.

(solo thief, with d/d and swap to p/p)

@Biff.5312 said:Not sure how you have so little gold, but I'd start doing dailies - that's 2g a day right there. Anyway, you could just buy them - probably about 12-15g for a full set. Or you could buy lvl 78 exotics in Orr for karma until you save enough.

Orr Exotics are lv80. If the OP wants berserker though, you can only get berserker armor from Orr, none of those merchants have berserker trinkets. Soldiers or cavaliers will suffice for a new player on a thief though.

Some boost gear is very nice. For example thieves get Valkyrie which is quite expensive. Other than that, start farming gold and you can easily buy a set for quite cheap on the TP - depending on the stats you want. For trinkets I would buy--if you don't want already--living world season 3, it's cheap and it will get your full ascended trinkets with very little farming - and if you use your boosts 3 80s will make it very easy to farm currency 3x a day.

Archived