Copy Paste Features for Chat — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Copy Paste Features for Chat

Please add basic copy and paste features to existing chat textboxes. Currently you cannot copy the text. This would be an easy feature to implement which is basic and fundamental to most MMO's. It would nice to have this in GW2 as well.

Comments

• Jin.8501Jin.8501 Member ✭✭

Agreed, even cheapass f2p MMOs had it for decades

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

really...something GW1 has is again removed from GW2?
    they really need to review their priorities, so many basic features GW1 has for more then a decade yet GW2 doesn't have the most basic features.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• I agree! Copy paste is used everywhere else ye?! Drives me crazy.

• Same here. Why this is done in other MMOs as well is beyond me. ESO does the same thing, Wildstar as well, needed addons to be able to click links at all. Are links really that bad?

Then again this is the company that suppresses people in chat for changing the LFG message. So its probably the same kind of reason that they don't allow links. Someone, somewhere, would definitely use it to try and spread malware or whatnot. Same as the chat suppression is to prevent RMT spammers but is restrictive enough to hit others as well.
    Basically, don't count on this being changed because a few people can and will use it maliciously.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever try using the Windows copy paste commands? Not the easiest solution but I do believe it still works.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• googel.3278googel.3278 Member ✭✭✭

anet doesnt have enough money to add new features, all they care about is skins. Support them by buying more skins, surely it will help them in the future by making more skins instead of other basic features!

• @Zaklex.6308 said:
    Anyone ever try using the Windows copy paste commands? Not the easiest solution but I do believe it still works.

You can copy/paste in any write-in box, but I don't think you can select or copy from the chat window. :/

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You can paste into the chat box with CRTL-V, but you cannot copy text from there.

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@kurfu.5623 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You can paste into the chat box with CRTL-V, but you cannot copy text from there.

You can Ctrl+C copy from the chat box, but not from the chat window. I use it all the time fore those "enter name to delete" items - shift+click the item, mark the link in the chatbox, copy, delete item, paste link into confirmation window, remove start and end brackets.

Oooh, that's handy, thanks, I never thought of that!

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018

and while we are at it, a way to clear down your chat so you are not left looking at sad mom jokes when you leave LA ;/

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaklex.6308 said:

It's all I ever use. Works perfectly.

• Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Currently the only way to do this is via Squad message, which can be copy/pasted.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You can copy/paste in any write-in box, but I don't think you can select or copy from the chat window. :/

The OP did say from chat text boxes, which to me is the box you write in and not the chat window...so using Ctrl-V and Ctrl-C would work just fine(as others have confirmed).

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Hi,

You guys can try using Capture2Text https://sourceforge.net/projects/capture2text, which converts images (selected area screenshot) to text, copying to the clipboard automatically. You can also use AutoHotkey https://autohotkey.com/ to bind a key and make Capture2Text trigger using your chosen hotkey. It definitely does not replace the absolute need for a "copy from chat window" native functionality but it's a nice alternative! As an extra, you can add another free tool (all those tools are free) called QTranslate https://quest-app.appspot.com/home, which can translate your clipboard text on the fly. You can use AutoHotkey to assign a hotkey for that too. That setup is great for foreign players or players who are playing games (including GW2) in foreign languages. I Hope you find this useful!

• Not sure if turning on logging would help in this situation. I haven’t tried it yet on GW2, but if it works the same as other games, it will capture all the current text scrolling in a notepad file that can be searched.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-log

• Gopaka.7839Gopaka.7839 Member ✭✭✭

I would like to see that feature in the game as well !

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019

I think I once read that Anet was against copy/paste because "it would've made easier to utilize bad links in-game" but I could be wrong, maybe that statement was about directly opening a link, I don't remember exactly.

• [;xx] #JustGW1Things

• Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019

There is no such thing as, "This would be an easy feature to implement," however, it should still be invested in as a basic QoL feature.

Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Adding this feature would help me to reduce my carbon footprint; because it doesn't exist in game, I have to keep a pad and pen near my mouse to jot down Discord addresses so I can join comms. Help me save trees; let me copy/pasta.

• I'm apart of a Roleplay group that wants to transfer from World of Warcraft to Guild Wars 2 but we can't because we can't take a transcript like we can with the Blizzard launcher and or the Prat Addon.

• Having a copy and paste feature would be wonderful also a social window like wow does for the launcher would be useful for those people wanting to take a transcript.

• Faenar.8036Faenar.8036 Member ✭✭✭

IIRC these things were already pointed out by the playerbase community even when GW2 was still in betatest phase, but I agree its a good idea to try write another topic about this again, to see if ArenaNet , after 7 years, did not eventually re-considered this. ( So thats justify the existence of this topic).

Yes, I agree with this chat window functionality. Basically in all MMOs I have been played, even cheap-budget free-to-play ones, this copy pasta was possible.

Everytime I see some newbies asking questions in starter locations (for example Queensdale), discussion when I am answering them and explaining GW2 game mechanic they are asking for, it usually ends like this: newbie: "Oh, I am very grateful to you for your help and thorough explanation, seems like I am finaly starting to understanding this, but, please, for some reason I was not able to copy-paste the gw2 wiki link you were posting, probably because it was "surrounded" between the other text parts of your explanation. Can you please send that link again, this time alone in the text line, so I can click on it? Thanks very much." me: -sighing loudly- "No, I cannot, GW2 does not allow copy-pasta or even clicking on links sent in chat, sorry." newbie: "Uh, oh, ehm, ooookay. Very much thanks for your help anyway, will manually visit that wiki later."

At this point, I basically gave up to sent GW2 wiki links anyway, so now I am just writing " I recomend wiki.guildwars2.com, very good game Wiki for GW2" , and thats all.

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Faenar.8036 said:
    IIRC these things were already pointed out by the playerbase community even when GW2 was still in betatest phase, but I agree its a good idea to try write another topic about this again, to see if ArenaNet , after 7 years, did not eventually re-considered this. ( So thats justify the existence of this topic).

Yes, I agree with this chat window functionality. Basically in all MMOs I have been played, even cheap-budget free-to-play ones, this copy pasta was possible.

Everytime I see some newbies asking questions in starter locations (for example Queensdale), discussion when I am answering them and explaining GW2 game mechanic they are asking for, it usually ends like this: newbie: "Oh, I am very grateful to you for your help and thorough explanation, seems like I am finaly starting to understanding this, but, please, for some reason I was not able to copy-paste the gw2 wiki link you were posting, probably because it was "surrounded" between the other text parts of your explanation. Can you please send that link again, this time alone in the text line, so I can click on it? Thanks very much." me: -sighing loudly- "No, I cannot, GW2 does not allow copy-pasta or even clicking on links sent in chat, sorry." newbie: "Uh, oh, ehm, ooookay. Very much thanks for your help anyway, will manually visit that wiki later."

At this point, I basically gave up to sent GW2 wiki links anyway, so now I am just writing " I recomend wiki.guildwars2.com, very good game Wiki for GW2" , and thats all.

You can tell them to type /wiki in game. This will send them automatically to the wiki. You can even type things like /wiki worldbosses and you instantly go to the worldboss timer on wiki.

• magnusthorek.8027magnusthorek.8027 Member ✭✭✭

And while you're on it (IF you ever decide to be on it) let us chose custom colours for each guild (and other channels too). It's a kitten mess that boring brownish tone you decided to give us