Dual Attunements == Dual Bonuses?

juno.1840

Some cool bonuses surfacing on the build tool with dual attunements. I'm not sure if the build editor is accurate, but it also generated some other questions:

• Attuned to dual elements would give the Minor Adept trait for both (fire power bonus, earth toughness bonus, water soothing mist, air speed)?
  • Arcane Precision generates conditions for both attunements on critical chance?
  • Arcane Abatement generates 2 effects on fall damage?
  • Evasive Arcana generates 2 effects on dodge?
  • Which attunement works with Glyph skills? Both?
  • Do "When Attuned to XXXX" traits work for both attunements?

It also appears that at 3.5s attunement swapping (4s cooldown - 15% arcane cooldown reduction), Arcane trait "Elemental Attunement" would generate a lot of boons.

I missed the beta weekends which probably would have answered the questions above.

@juno.1840 said:

• Attuned to dual elements would give the Minor Adept trait for both (fire power bonus, earth toughness bonus, water soothing mist, air speed)?Only the main hand minor seems to activate, except for the weaver trait that gives bonus on attunements, and specifically mentions double attune. I hope they change so we get minor traits when double attune (or at least 50/50 of each bonus)@juno.1840 said:
  • Arcane Precision generates conditions for both attunements on critical chance?Just main hand attunement.@juno.1840 said:
  • Arcane Abatement generates 2 effects on fall damage?Just main hand attunement.@juno.1840 said:
  • Evasive Arcana generates 2 effects on dodge?Just main hand attunement@juno.1840 said:
  • Which attunement works with Glyph skills? Both?Main hand attunement@juno.1840 said:
  • Do "When Attuned to XXXX" traits work for both attunements?Just main hand attunement it seems. I haven't tested this specificaly, but you could get some crazy bonuses traited to fire/water otherwise...@juno.1840 said:It also appears that at 3.5s attunement swapping (4s cooldown - 15% arcane cooldown reduction), Arcane trait "Elemental Attunement" would generate a lot of boons.Yes, this seems to work. Also the "on attunment" traits (dmg on air and fire, heal on water, stability on earth, etc) seem to work twice when you double attune (i.e. attune to water/x get a heal, attune to water/water, get another heal)

Some traits and utils from weaver do work with dual attunments though.Like "Elemental Polyphony" and primordial stance.Some dual skills are quite nice. You get lots of CC with sword air/earth, good dmg with water/earth, and a good dmg/condi with air fire...

The fact that elemental attunement and all 2nd minor traits on elemental lines have no CD is really nice for weaver also, specially with the elite skill reducing the att cd even further.Maybe they will change the attunement bonuses to also work with dual attunements, like elemental polyphony... would be nice

@juno.1840 said:Bummer since there should be some reward for managing 16 attunement combinations instead of 4.

Having a dual skill isn't quite "reward" enough in my opinion (with what I know so far).

I've seen a number of people making a similar complaint, and I don't completely understand the perspective. I thought the reward for swapping attunements is that you get access to different abilities with different functionality when you need them. All those dual skills (as well as 1, 2, 4, and 5 skills) do completely different things, so wouldn't you want to swap attunements to execute a DPS rotation, or to access a CC, or to use a gap closer, or whatever? Why do they need to be more rewarding on top of that?

@typographie.1742 said:

@juno.1840 said:Bummer since there should be some reward for managing 16 attunement combinations instead of 4.

Having a dual skill isn't quite "reward" enough in my opinion (with what I know so far).

I've seen a number of people making a similar complaint, and I don't completely understand the perspective. I thought the reward for swapping attunements is that you get access to different abilities with different functionality when you need them. All those dual skills (as well as 1, 2, 4, and 5 skills) do completely different things, so wouldn't you want to swap attunements to execute a DPS rotation, or to access a CC, or to use a gap closer, or whatever? Why do they need to be more rewarding on top of that?

Because I can already do that with vanilla elementalist and with Tempest. So you need to ask "what does Weaver bring to the table that Tempest and Elementalist do not?"

If the answer is simply one new skill per attunement combination (for a total of 4 per main-hand weapon), then that needs to be significant in its impact. Consider that the new dual-attunement mechanic is complex compared Tempest/Elementalist. You cannot quickly change skills 4 and 5. They are 3.5s - 4s away if your main-hand attunement is not the one you want. That complexity should grant benefits on par with the increased skill required to exercise the mechanic.

@juno.1840 said:Some cool bonuses surfacing on the build tool with dual attunements. I'm not sure if the build editor is accurate, but it also generated some other questions:

• Attuned to dual elements would give the Minor Adept trait for both (fire power bonus, earth toughness bonus, water soothing mist, air speed)?
  • Arcane Precision generates conditions for both attunements on critical chance?
  • Arcane Abatement generates 2 effects on fall damage?
  • Evasive Arcana generates 2 effects on dodge?
  • Which attunement works with Glyph skills? Both?
  • Do "When Attuned to XXXX" traits work for both attunements?

It also appears that at 3.5s attunement swapping (4s cooldown - 15% arcane cooldown reduction), Arcane trait "Elemental Attunement" would generate a lot of boons.

I missed the beta weekends which probably would have answered the questions above.

So, I'm going to answer all of your questions in 1 go: only your 'main' attunement, aka the attunement that you most recently swapped to, will count for and attunement based effects. The only exceptions to this are specific Weaver skills and traits. This is because even though we are 'dual-attuned,' ANet has still kept something very important in the engine. If you are playing Elementalist, at any and every moment in time, you can look at your buff bar, and you will see an icon displaying your attunement, representing your active attunement. This hasn't been very important until now, with Weaver. Your active attunement is only changed by swapping attunements- you cannot have two active attunements. This means that rather than having a main and secondary attunement, we rather have an active attunement, two inactive attunements, and then one leftover attunement. Wooden Potatoes detailed a lot of this in his over hour long Weaver video, but I'll reiterate the most important bits.

1- Traits like Soothing Mist, Evasive Arcana, Empowering Flame, Stone Heart, Arcane Precision, any and every core Tyria trait based on attunements only matters for your active attunement, aka the one you swapped to most recently. The same thing applies to skills such as Glyphs, only your active attunement counts. This is because of how they coded your active attunement into your buff bar.2- Only Weaver specific skills and traits are affected by your active and leftover attunement, and they all explicitly state so in the tooltips, such as Elemental Polyphony (trait) and Primordial Stance (skill).3- Attuning to the same element twice does not affect 'on attunement swap' traits, such as Electric Discharge, Earthen Blast, Healing Ripple, or Elemental Attunement. This is because your active attunement does not change- rather, you're purging the rest of your inactive attunement and gaining full access to your current attunement. There are only 2 things that break this rule. First is the new skill, Primordial Stance, which states it directly in the tooltip. The second is Elements of Rage, a new trait that only applies when you fully attune. This even applies to the new trait, Elemental Polyphony, in that when you fully attune, you only gain the benefit once, rather than gaining twice the benefit.

Hopefully this will help clear the waters. I was able to test most of this myself in the beta weekends and preview days

So is GW2Skills wrong? If you pick Burning Precision and Aeromancer's Training then you have shortened cooldowns and both power and precision bonus if you have both attunements, doesn't matter which one is main. Same goes for Pyromancer's Training, it increase second attunement's skills damage and again fire can be "offhand attunement".

@SconeOfDoom.8213 said:3- Attuning to the same element twice does not affect 'on attunement swap' traits, such as Electric Discharge, Earthen Blast, Healing Ripple, or Elemental Attunement. This is because your active attunement does not change- rather, you're purging the rest of your inactive attunement and gaining full access to your current attunement. There are only 2 things that break this rule. First is the new skill, Primordial Stance, which states it directly in the tooltip. The second is Elements of Rage, a new trait that only applies when you fully attune. This even applies to the new trait, Elemental Polyphony, in that when you fully attune, you only gain the benefit once, rather than gaining twice the benefit.

Did you test this?The active attunement doesnt change, but you enter that attunement again, triggering the "on attuning to X" effects.I haven't tested myself, but was quite sure I saw it working with the air electric discharge on Phantarams pvp video.

Archived