Bug with Glacial Skin Longbow & Rifle

Jinks.2057

It seems the LB skin shoots further than rifle skin.

I had bought both of them, 1 for Ranger 1 for Thief, and was out testing out attack animations on mobs when I noticed my ranger shot further than my deadeye!!

So I went into PvP to test on golems sure enough the Glacial LB shoots further than the Glacial Rifle!!! Both are at 1500 range (when traited/kneeling) but the LB just shot so much further.

Please fix this ASAP Anet

Thx

@Nokomis.5076 said:I think, bow projectiles follow a trajectory, thus on their way down, they also travel a little distance. Eventually rifle projectiles are just stopped on an invisible wall after their maximum range.

Sound silly, but we're talking about GW physics ;D

I'm sure no developer would make a game like that and this is entirely a bug with the skins

• 2 months later...

Bows do shoot farther, this has been known since Beta. It benefits from height as well, allowing a longbow ranger to shoot 2k range. It has nothing to do with the skins.

I know pistols, and I believe rifles, have a hard cutoff, if you will, at their skill range. This too has been behavior seen since at least Beta.

There is a 15% buffer (#17. I wasn't going to bother to search for it, but only took a minute. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/page/3#post3750901 ) on range of skills that was meant to make melee smoother, it requires the target to have been within range first, then you get the slight buffer that is on top of extra distance allowed for arrows. It wasn't readily observed on pistol skills at all even if it's there, because bullet projectiles don't get the extra distance arrows do.

It is stupid for something over 2k direct distance away to be hitting you with arrows, but they can and do. Based on estimate using thief sb5 and shadowstep range markers to calculate range, and known position of a longbow ranger having shot and hit me at, calculated the distance from the ranger to my character to have been 2200+, which again, this has actually been known.

Also, you may want to look at the comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7n83db/ranger_long_bow_vs_deadeye_rifle_range_tests/ for more detailed clarification on it from players.

@"Lunacy Solacio.6514" said:Bows do shoot farther, this has been known since Beta. It benefits from height as well, allowing a longbow ranger to shoot 2k range. It has nothing to do with the skins.

I know pistols, and I believe rifles, have a hard cutoff, if you will, at their skill range. This too has been behavior seen since at least Beta.

There is a 15% buffer (#17. I wasn't going to bother to search for it, but only took a minute. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/page/3#post3750901 ) on range of skills that was meant to make melee smoother, it requires the target to have been within range first, then you get the slight buffer that is on top of extra distance allowed for arrows. It wasn't readily observed on pistol skills at all even if it's there, because bullet projectiles don't get the extra distance arrows do.

It is stupid for something over 2k direct distance away to be hitting you with arrows, but they can and do. Based on estimate using thief sb5 and shadowstep range markers to calculate range, and known position of a longbow ranger having shot and hit me at, calculated the distance from the ranger to my character to have been 2200+, which again, this has actually been known.

Also, you may want to look at the comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7n83db/ranger_long_bow_vs_deadeye_rifle_range_tests/ for more detailed clarification on it from players.

All skills in GW2 have a +15% range buffer except rifle it seems.....i think bows should be done the same way

Oh god not this again...

It's been this way since beta... It isn't a new "bug" and it works this way because bows have arcing projectiles... This thread pops up every now and then and the OPs always insist its a bug no matter how many times people say otherwise. Not to mention a simple google search would provide the information and clarification they are looking for.

I didn't read the thread because just from a quick glance it looks like the OP consists of more than 50% of the posts (probably bumping it repeatedly). So, if I'm wrong and the OP realized that this has been in the game for over half a decade, great.

@Jinks.2057 said:

@"Lunacy Solacio.6514" said:Bows do shoot farther, this has been known since Beta. It benefits from height as well, allowing a longbow ranger to shoot 2k range. It has nothing to do with the skins.

There is a 15% buffer (#17. I wasn't going to bother to search for it, but only took a minute.
) on range of skills that was meant to make melee smoother, it requires the target to have been within range first, then you get the slight buffer that is on top of extra distance allowed for arrows. It wasn't readily observed on pistol skills at all even if it's there, because bullet projectiles don't get the extra distance arrows do.

Also, you may want to look at the comments at
for more detailed clarification on it from players.

All skills in GW2 have a +15% range buffer except rifle it seems.....i think bows should be done the same way

Pretty sure rifle does have the 15% buffer, but I'm feeling too lazy to bother 100% verifying it right now. What it won't do is go 700 more.

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:Bows do shoot farther, this has been known since Beta. It benefits from height as well, allowing a longbow ranger to shoot 2k range. It has nothing to do with the skins.

There is a 15% buffer (#17. I wasn't going to bother to search for it, but only took a minute.
) on range of skills that was meant to make melee smoother, it requires the target to have been within range first, then you get the slight buffer that is on top of extra distance allowed for arrows. It wasn't readily observed on pistol skills at all even if it's there, because bullet projectiles don't get the extra distance arrows do.

Also, you may want to look at the comments at
for more detailed clarification on it from players.

Pretty sure rifle does have the 15% buffer, but I'm feeling too lazy to bother 100% verifying it right now. What it won't do is go 700 more.

nope it's exactly as stated in the tool tip

there's a thread on thief forum showing a rangers 1200 range shoots further than Deadeye's 1500 kneeling range

I and others have said why it can shoot farther. 15% of 1200 is 180, that's only 1380, but the buffer isn't the only reason it goes more. Arrows arc and travel farther, that's a remnant behavior from gw1. Bullets are treated like other skills, it goes it's range, plus buffer if the target was already within range before moving. Ranger can shoot an arrow, and it travel effectively forever until it hits something, although damage does fall off after a certain range, it's just way beyond what it should be.

Archived