suggstion for race change

BadSanta.6527

iknow this topic was discussed alot before but here is my suggstion make race change only avilable to charters whos 5 years + in game and make it only once per acc imean if you get 2 5 years + chaterter or even if you have asecond chatert who going to be 5 years old soon you will be able to do it only once pre acc

The issue is coding. There is no other reason why we can't race change.I personally say just be lucky we can sex change because I would've assume that would destroy some coding too somehow (it's not as bad as starting in Divinity or Rata Sum but I could see some coding problems there where you load into the next story and you look like a burly facial hair freakazoid male dude with tons of infusions and whatever... then you open your mouth and it's the female voice as that's what the character was in the beginning.

ArenaNet doesn't like touching the old code because it's a disaster. If they ever got around to implementing a race change, it certainly wouldn't be restricted, it'd simply be gem store item. Considering the level 80 booster however, they'll likely never do it. Faking a race change with a transform would be the easier way to do it, otherwise they'd likely fake it by actually creating a new character and copying what they can.

We have so many level boosting items we get in the game, that it wouldn't be hard to make an 80 pretty quick. What is left after that? Soulbound items? They could sell an item that converts a soulbound to 'account bound on acquire; soulbound on use', and the fact that you have it makes it account bound (so you couldn't then sell the item). Then you could just make a new character and move all the soulbound items. You'd have to do the personal story again (if you wanted), but even if Anet made their own mechanism, I bet they'd just reset your story to 0 anyways.

So really to pull it off, you would just need an item to convert soulbound items to 'account bound on acquire; soulbound on use', no?

Sorry, but I keep not understanding the point of changing race, even more nowadays where many options allow to level up high speed to 80.

So, why change an existing char rather than creating a new one (and deleting the old one if needed to spare slots)? To avoid the efforts needed to get a good equipment? But those efforts are part of the game yes? And even that is not clear to me, because if we talk ascended equipment, it is account bound and can be transferred between chars. So what remains would be to keep exotic stuff? Come on, it cannot be the only reason...I would - really and kindly - like to understand what advantages there would be at changing race of a char. @ OP, can you explain what is the reason motivating that you would like to change the race of a char?

Personally, I am attached to my chars. For me, they are "someone" with a personality. That's part of playing a RPG. And in the rare cases I am not attached to one and/or don't like it much, I delete and re-create. As easy as that.

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:Sorry, but I keep not understanding the point of changing race, even more nowadays where many options allow to level up high speed to 80.

So, why change an existing char rather than creating a new one (and deleting the old one if needed to spare slots)? To avoid the efforts needed to get a good equipment? But those efforts are part of the game yes? And even that is not clear to me, because if we talk ascended equipment, it is account bound and can be transferred between chars. So what remains would be to keep exotic stuff? Come on, it cannot be the only reason...I would - really and kindly - like to understand what advantages there would be at changing race of a char. @ OP, can you explain what is the reason motivating that you would like to change the race of a char?

Personally, I am attached to my chars. For me, they are "someone" with a personality. That's part of playing a RPG. And in the rare cases I am not attached to one and/or don't like it much, I delete and re-create. As easy as that.

I'm not the OP, nor do I want a Race-change feature, but Birthday Gifts and World Completion/open Maps/Waypoints come to mind, if nothing else.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:Sorry, but I keep not understanding the point of changing race, even more nowadays where many options allow to level up high speed to 80.

I'm not the OP, nor do I want a Race-change feature, but Birthday Gifts and World Completion/open Maps/Waypoints come to mind, if nothing else.

And crafting.

The short story is that we almost certainly will never be able to change the race of our characters. The reasons are as varied as the argments in favor and boil down to: the costs far outweigh the benefits for something that already has an existing work around.

Among the factors involved in making any business decision:

• What would it take to design & implement this? What would it take to do it well?
  • How many people would be interested in the feature? How much are they willing to pay?

The expenses referenced in the first point surprise a lot of folks unfamiliar with software. Is it easy to just change the race, since it just changes one piece of data? Well, no, because the game depends on assuming race doesn't change. On the obvious side: a few armors & skills are race-dependent; on the subtle side: the entire personal story depends on race. And we know it's not easy to change the personal story because of all the accidental bugs created when ANet attempted to re-order the bits that are identical for all characters. So it's not as simple as a gender change, which has no direct impact on anything in the game other than toggle the look of armor.

ANet also has data on how many people buy a name-change contract and new toon slots (whether discounted or not) and can estimate whether people are willing to pay a premium for a more expensive change, perhaps 1600 gems (since a gender change only costs 800). The number is going to be surprisingly small -- not all that many are willing to spend more than 800 gems on anything (see also: mountfit controversies)

And significantly, there's a viable work around: use a new character slot. It's not ideal (you can't keep your bag slots or crafting or map progress), but it covers everything else one would get with a race change contract -- in particular, it allows you to play a new race.

tl;dr it's a popular idea that is not going to happen, because it's a bad investment of resources.

Responses from ANet About Race Changes

From CC Eva in late 2012Answering to the OP´s question: no, the team is not considering to offer this particular feature to players..From CC Eva, ~2013To change the race in the Gem store will not be an option in Guild Wars 2..From Jonathan Smalling in early 2013

Fan: I’d really like to change my race since it’s a asura and all the weapons get so small and it’s already lvl 80 so i find it a waste to make another one….So i’ve been wondering if there would be something where i can change my race withSmalling: There is currently no Asuran technology that can rewrite the very makeup of a being’s DNA code. The Asura are a very smart people, no doubt. But that doesn’t mean they can use magic to change your molecular soul. And if they did… well then you’re not you, are you?

And for what it's worth, here's just 10 of the threads google found that have hashed (and rehashed) this idea already (on the old forums):

And what might be the original (and perhaps the longest):

@"UnDeadFun.5824" said:I have a toon I would love to race change. I have leveled two crafts to 500, restarting this toon and losing that is out of the question.

Don't "restart". Create a new toon. Continue to craft on the old one. If you want to keep the name, then also buy a name change contract. (Change the name of the original, create the new race character with the old name. If you aren't ready to build it, you can delete and the name will be held 24 hours for you.)

Archived