noises everywhere

RodOfDeath.5247

@X T D.6458 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:No, no, please Anet keep letting us cheat and instantly see where forces are attacking objectives from clear across the map.

Like those orange/white swords? How do these random explosions help see where enemies are?Lol people still dont know how they work?

The effect trigger on people attacking objectives, doors more specifically. When you move the camera, it will exponentially invert the direction of where it's at (ie if you look left, the explosions will go right and the further off the correct angle the more to the right it will go). If you look straight on, that's where the objective is being attacked. Draw a straight line forward and you know where the enemy is, even if they dont pop orange swords or if they havent contested the objective yet. Once you get within 5000 range or something (just a wild guess, no idea the actual range), the effects will stop and trigger at their intended location (ie the door). For example, you can easily see if a zerg is on hills from bay or vice versa (without any orange swords), because no commander has full control over the people even when they tell them not to attack the door giving them away with swords. Sometimes it's a little harder when there are multiple options and doors in that direction, but it's really not hard to guess and get a heads up. It's like a wallhack. You can see the attack.

Any force still using rams is silly. Well that or it's bait. That work too.

@Aeolus.3615 said:@Dawdler.8521, but alowing that explosion having the sound of 20 DH spamming traps for 2, 3seconds..... when u panic.. and u turn arround the camera.. and your are alone on the map...

I very much doubt you where alone or that it was DH traps. The effects dont pop for nothing, it's always on enemy activity but if you see them, that means they are at a distance. You wont see the zerg since it's literally a culling bug (if you see the zerg, that means it's not culling incorrectly anymore and plops the effects down where they should be). There is a reason why blue explosions and black explosions are most common - guardian and necro autoattack hits... like mindlessly spamming a door.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:@Dawdler.8521, but alowing that explosion having the sound of 20 DH spamming traps for 2, 3seconds..... when u panic.. and u turn arround the camera.. and your are alone on the map...

I very much doubt you where alone or that it was DH traps. The effects dont pop for nothing, it's always on enemy activity but if you see them, that means they are at a distance. You wont see the zerg since it's literally a culling bug (if you see the zerg, that means it's not culling incorrectly anymore and plops the effects down where they should be). There is a reason why blue explosions and black explosions are most common - guardian and necro autoattack hits... like mindlessly spamming a door.

I actually was alone ;), and this happens as well when ive been in situations that we outman the server and when we are outmaned.The sounds of those small explosions while moving, sometimes make the sound of a trap being casted, and sometimes i got so many explosions per second that is madness when the sound the same as DH traps...Can u imagine a machine gun of DH trap sounds, where u need to stop take out the headphones or reduce the game volume, scratch the ears and..."OK...implaying W/o sound next time"...

@Aeolus.3615 said:

I actually was alone ;), and this happens as well when ive been in situations that we outman the server and when we are outmaned.The sounds of those small explosions while moving, sometimes make the sound of a trap being casted, and sometimes i got so many explosions per second that is madness when the sound the same as DH traps...

Next time, just look straight at the explosions and I can assure you that you will be looking straight towards a door somewhere on the border. If they increase in frequency and then suddenly stop, that means they got through the door (and people where just impatient so more of them started autoattacking the door at low hp).

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:This got a little off track........I'm talking about when you're not even near a tower, keep, camp, just walking past a random rock and there's all these noises and explosions on the wall, like red circles or necro noises.

All kinds of colors, but you don't need to be near an objective, it could be all the way on the other side of the map.

The door attack supposed to be far enough away that you can't see the players or any of their abilities, but instead of hiding the spell effects just like the players- the game just makes the effects pop up right next to you.

Which kinda let's you know that somewhere between you And the edge of the map, is a door being attacked in that direction.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:No, no, please Anet keep letting us cheat and instantly see where forces are attacking objectives from clear across the map.

Like those orange/white swords? How do these random explosions help see where enemies are?Lol people still dont know how they work?

The effect trigger on people attacking objectives, doors more specifically. When you move the camera, it will exponentially invert the direction of where it's at (ie if you look left, the explosions will go right and the further off the correct angle the more to the right it will go). If you look straight on, that's where the objective is being attacked. Draw a straight line forward and you know where the enemy is, even if they dont pop orange swords or if they havent contested the objective yet. Once you get within 5000 range or something (just a wild guess, no idea the actual range), the effects will stop and trigger at their intended location (ie the door). For example, you can easily see if a zerg is on hills from bay or vice versa (without any orange swords), because no commander has full control over the people even when they tell them not to attack the door giving them away with swords. Sometimes it's a little harder when there are multiple options and doors in that direction, but it's really not hard to guess and get a heads up. It's like a wallhack. You can
see
the attack.

Any force still using rams is silly. Well that or it's bait. That work too.

It happens randomly. I can be standing still, or alone at spawn or in a keep with no enemies around and see these little explosions going off.

Not sure what could be the cause, but i've started to see more and more weird "explosions", like someone shooting stuff, in different world maps, be it expansions or not, even in LA / Divinity's Reach any idea what is it ?

I've took a small video sample of it.

It gets even worse in Maguuma, when you think you're being chased by raptors / fungus, and instead it's these things exploding.

Developer responses from ANet Ben:

We still haven't figured it out but are aware. Haven't been able to reproduce it internally yet and that's a big part of solving these. I could run a debug (read, super duper slow) live client and maybe catch something useful in a debugger if I could get a consistent repro but so far that's not the case. And even if I could get a 100% repro, filtering between bad effects and good effects would be tedious or impossible on a live client, and might even be fruitless if it's the server that is at fault. Luckily if I can find a 100% repro it means I can probably replicate it internally which is 1000x easier to debug. That leaves me with just trying to figure out how this could happen and force it to reproduce by purposefully breaking some code, then maybe connect the dots and figure out what's happening live. Sorry this isn't fixed yet, I have no ETA for you :/

As always, more info is always welcome. It's probably player hit effects being misreported by the server or misinterpreted by the client somehow. I've wasted some time running around wvw internally but I think I need larger groups of players fighting.

I'll be digging into this more after the break, hopefully with success. Again, very sorry about this. I know it's frustrating in wvw and probably contributes to framerate drops.

Edit: thanks everyone I now have some fresh ideas! I'm gonna load up local multiclient with a bunch of necros and see if I can simulate the live repro cases outlined here.

I mean, I've seen it live but I'm not sure what the proper steps are to reproduce it properly on an internal environment. But now I have better ideas thanks to replies :)

Archived