Just hit level 80, have a few questions

XxTunasXp.6397

I just hit level 80 on my thief and I am kind of at a loss at what to do. I didn’t really learn the game as I did map completion all the way to 80 FeelsBadMan. Anyway I have a few questions on certain things, would appreciate any answer you want to give :)

WvW:1) How do I do this properly? I joined a zerg on my thief and got melted within 5 seconds2) Can I level a character from 1-80 in WvW?3) How does gear scaling work for lower levels? (Will I get exotic gear or something?)4) Is thief a bad class for zerging?

PvP:1) Is this filled with elitists who will be mean?2) Do you gain exp from completing matches or just tomes?

Crafting:1) Can I level all types of crafting up to max level on one character? I dabbled a little bit into this but your only allowed 2 types of crafting at a time so I’m not sure how this effects it.2) Should I sell my crafting materials or just keep them? I’ve got a lot of stuff

Dungeons, Fractals, Raids:1) I’m not sure where to begin with these if anyone could give me a starting point that would be gr8

Gearing:1) I bought full exotic berserkers for thief, what next?Any answers are appreciated. Thanks.

WvW1)To be useful in WvW you need to be survivable. Pick traits that allow you to clear conditions easily, and get tankier gear. You probably want to start as a venomshare thief. Alternatively, you can roam around and burst stragglers and flip camps.

https://metabattle.com To give you an idea on what to look for in builds.

2) Not really, although it is great for levelling alts due to the number of Tomes you'll earn. If you go in underlevelled, you'll be a priority target due to having low level gear and no complete build.3) You'll be uplevelled to 80, but the gear is what you own. As stated under 2) you're best off not to go in underlevelled.4) It's not great, but venomshare thief has its place. The new pew pew elite spec might be useful for pin sniping (killing the opposing commander)

JOIN YOUR SERVER'S VOIP. Ask around in teamchat for details. Someone will generally be able to hook you up. Even if you only listen in on the commanders calls you'll survive a lot more because you'll know what's going on.

PvP1) The PvP community can be a bit unfriendlier than other modes, but I wouldn't call it Elitist. You get put in a tier depending on your skill.2) just tomes.

Crafting1) You can have two crafting disciplines active per toon at once. You can buy an additional crafting license to get access to more disciplines at once, or pay a small fee to switch between them. Most players I know use alts for crafting.2) Sell them if you do not have any major crafting plans. Keep them if you decide you you want to craft ascended gear.

Dungeons frac- ... Don't pve much, sorry!

GearingDecide what builds appeal to you, and gear accordingly. Decide if you want the highest tier of gear, Ascended, and work toward that. Get some tankier gear for WvW.

Hi !! I can only answer some of your questions because but i'll try to help as best as i could.

WvW

1. Thief is not really a good class to play in large scale fight like 20vs20 or 50vs50 you will melt in 2 sec, the main role for thief to play in zerg is stay from behind and pick on any stray targets or Pin down certain target.
  2. The idea is you use a lv 80 character, do WvW and level up your WvW rank, each rank will give you 1 tome, also reward tracks. This way you can slowly level your other character without playing them while enjoying WvW.
  3. In WvW/Eotm gear doesn't scale, although your level do scale but you remain squishy and weak at low level char, you will die in 2s if you enter a fight with someone.
  4. Like i mentioned in #1, but thief is a very deadly class in roaming but you need a lot of practice to get good.

PvP : Sorry i don't play PvP so i'll leave this to someone else.

Crafting

1. Yes you can have all kind of crafting job done in 1 character, although you can only have 2 active at a time but you can visit any crafting mentor NPC to change ( cost for the change is around 40 silver ), you can freely switch between crafting jobs as long as you have switching fee, and don't bother with the crafting license it's a waste.
  2. This is a very personal question because it depend alot on what kind of situation your in, for example : if you desperately in need of money then sell everything OR if you planning on making something like ascended then keep them. These are 2 websites you should check out

Dungeon/Fractal

• Each dungeon has their own currency and level required, can buy alot of useful stuff like rune/sigil and exotic gear etc, just use LFG
  • Fractal is like endgame version of Dungeon, instead of explain i suggest you check out this video for better understanding
  • After that check out wiki https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists
  • I strongly suggest you find a friendly guild and start running dun/frac with them to avoid anykind of elitist and toxic.

Gearing

• Your next goal will be making Ascended item ( Pink ), this is required for high level fractal as well
  • For thief will be Leatherwork as a main job, the hard part about making ascended is weapon because each crafting job can only make certain type of weapons likeHuntsman if you want to make Bow/Gun, Artificing if you want to make Scepter/Staff, Weaponsmith if you want Sword/Dagger/Hammer etc.
  • Thief involed alot of crafting so just take it slow.
  • There are many achievements grand you Ascended upon completed too, google it

The rest are like @Pretty Pixie.8603 said.

And finally - Have Fun

WvW:1) How do I do this properly? I joined a zerg on my thief and got melted within 5 seconds

• When fighting enemy players in WvW, keep in mind that many of them have done this EVERY DAY for last 5 years AND they have best possible gear, skill rotation, and hardware to win fights. If you go there now for the first time, don't expect to win fights for long time. You will die. A lot.
  • For zerg following you should consider another class. Guardian is frontline class, you want to stay as close as possible to the commander tag. Necro is another useful class, can build it for condi or direct damage (tho might want to unlock HoT elite Reaper first). For backline good old staff Ele is always able to bomb enemy with tons of damage, specially when no enemy thieves come to harass the backline.
  • You may also want to join commander in Teamspeak as many use it for faster coordination.
  • But zergs may still be wiped too. Prepare for it.

2) Can I level a character from 1-80 in WvW?

• Yes
  • You get xp for not only killing enemies (which can be difficult for low level character) but also repairing walls or gates, building siege, shooting cannons and fighting NPC guards.

3) How does gear scaling work for lower levels? (Will I get exotic gear or something?)

• No scaling in WvW. Whatever is your PvE gear will be also your WvW gear. Most of the enemies will be using full Ascended and Legendary gear so your weak gear just makes it more difficult to kill them.

4) Is thief a bad class for zerging?

• Thief should not run with zerg. The purpose of thief in WvW is gank unaware enemies and then run away. You can throw out quite a lot of damage in short time and you have stealth to cover your escape. Also many roamers (players who do not follow zerg) are thieves because they can easily kill guards and take camps.
  • But also notice that most thieves use actually Daredevil elite class which is unlocked with HoT. Daredevil adds a lot of evade which is essential in surviving.

PvP:1) Is this filled with elitists who will be mean?

• Higher ranks yes. It gets very competitive and players who do this every day care a lot if they win or lose. Prepare to be insulted by your own team and also enemies

Crafting:1) Can I level all types of crafting up to max level on one character? I dabbled a little bit into this but your only allowed 2 types of crafting at a time so I’m not sure how this effects it.

• Each char has 2 active crafting disciplines. You can also level other crafts on your level 1 alts.

2) Should I sell my crafting materials or just keep them? I’ve got a lot of stuff

• I keep everything until I get at least 250 of it. Then I sell 250 stacks off. But I have already maxed all crafters so I don't need more mats. If you want to raise crafting, keep everything.

Dungeons, Fractals, Raids:1) I’m not sure where to begin with these if anyone could give me a starting point that would be gr8

• Dungeons are dead, nobody does them
  • Use LFG tool to find group of players for low level fractal
  • High level fractals and raids are PvE end game content. You must be geared up AND have very good build AND know how to use your character to support the group

Gearing:1) I bought full exotic berserkers for thief, what next?

• Ascended gear.

Finally, since new expansion will get released this week, you might want to wait it out before spending lots of in-game resources on long term goal. Classes will probably change, new materials will become available, prices will drop or go up.

Archived