Is Rev really viable in PVP?

bhaldor.9837

I am newish to pvp. I love the Revenant class gameplay.But boy Rev seems like a crazy amount of work to perform mediocre in pvp. Is it just me?So much easier to do the same amount of work on other classes. or am I missing something Rev excels at?..

If there is a condi mes or especially a S/D condi thief I get rekt harder than Hiroshima! how do you fight these?

Also Ive never experienced the insane amount of chasing on Rev than any other class. Enemies will chase me all across the map for the kill. its crazy!is this cause they expect I'm a free kill?..lol

my best tactic is to lead 2-3 enemies away from from points chasing the kill while my team mates cap.. its like I'm extra tasty bait.

any tips, especially against S/D condi thieves?..

few tips.....

dont go as a first one into a team fight eventhough you are heavy class unless you are ventari bunker.power rev can be played in solo queue and still pretty viable just need more effort than other classes in same role.....you are basically doing +1 like a thieves.you are in better spot than necro for sure because you dont have to be babysitted so much you have evades/blocks on power rev, resistance/stability/blocks/dodges on condi rev.

3 viable builds nowadays, bunker support ventari herald (with glint or jalis), power shiro/glint herald (probably most viable in meta nowadays), condi mallyx/glint rev (still pretty good but imo hardest to learn to play)

tips vs s/d well its your hard counter so nothing you can do vs good one, but try to evade basilisk venom, and try to block all hits when he got applied poison venom, then try to bring him into a team fight where you can get cleanses from guards/eles or other supports when he wasted most of his dodges start your burst, but as I said its your hard counter and you cant win vs a good one. BUT NEVER EVER TRY TO DUEL HIM 1vs1 you will most likely lose!

I agree it's difficult to play. But in like a weird way. Condi rev is a bit easier because you can tank everyone elses conditions easier and you just walk around putting aoe torment out, but power rev is a bit harder. Just find it difficult to do anything with them but It's gotta be a "git gud" issue because I've been owned by some pretty good revs and I just don't understand how they were so much better.

@bhaldor.9837 said:

But boy Rev seems like a crazy amount of work to perform mediocre in pvp. Is it just me?So much easier to do the same amount of work on other classes. or am I missing something Rev excels at?..

Is very hard to use due power Rev essentially lacks any sort of access to stability and your condition cleasing is heavily compromised (you oftenly find yourselve swapping legend not because you need a clean but just you need the energy, the same happens with the breakstuns oftenly) and the lack of flexibility in the chosen utilities. But played at its best is very rewarding (and competitive) because the high burst damage + AoE cleave/cc.

So yes, you can do better with other classes and less effort, but that's part of the appealing of the class. If you play Mishimas, you need to master the EWGF, is hard but the way it is.

It depends what you want to do...

If you're playing power you want to be always rotating to decap points and +1 fights, like a thief would. You have strong down cleave, so you can stop power rez teams to a great deal, but you don't want to be running around the middle of a team fight chasing people, you'll just die. It's all about the hit and runs, clutch cc to finish people off, and, ya know what(?), if they want to chase you around the map off point, let them--the only ones that can really catch you are thiefs.

If you're playing condi, you're sort of the opposite, you want to be in the team fights, feeding your team boons, while you use your ridiculous AoE fields to pressure the point and spam banish enchantment on focus targets to ensure kills vs bunker heavy teams.

As far as condi mesmers and dd's go... Those are rev's two hardest counter classes, so it's a tough road no matter what you do. AKACryptic made a super insightful video on fighting mesmer's and thieves as power rev. I know it helped me out a lot when I was new to the class, but it's still a busted matchup. :cry:(Linking to Youtube seems to explode this new forum's coding, so just google it... It's a little dated cuz there's been a few revnerfs, but a lot is still pretty pertinent.)

The easiest way is to record video and then play it back. Try and figure out what the other guy did that got you killed.

What weapons are you running? If you've not tried Hammer, it might be worth a shot. I know a lot of people advocate the staff, but it's a bitch to use right. The Hammer gives you a bit more room to move about without going out of range.

@Zenith.7301 said:Like necro, it's a team fighter, and a bad duelist. You need support but it's a good teamfight class.

If you want to soloQ, play with something else like thief, druid, or scrapper.

That's not a rev or necro. That's a metabuild none dared to question. My custom build necro is doing at least good in his duels. Warrs, Dragonhunters, engies, thieves - all these guys very often end up running for their dear life or getting free ticket to base if they jump me thinking "necro 1v1 is easy!".

Same could be said about rev. I fought some revs who were amazing at duels and survival and a real bitch to get off the point. And i'm not talking ventari expulsion spam cheese but real skilled revs. Few professions i find as often manned by skilled players as a rev. They most certainly can duel and well if used right.

@Buran.3796 said:

@otto.5684 said:Condi Rev is pretty good. Power, not so much.

Look at the tournaments, is the other way around.

We already know that in competitive scene power rev is used more often due to AOE CC and boon dump. If you are playing with an organized team competing in a tournament, sure go power, assuming you enjoy being boon bot and AOE CC bot.

Every where else PvP wise condi rev is much better. TBH, even in PvE.

@otto.5684 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

We already know that in competitive scene power rev is used more often due to AOE CC and boon dump. If you are playing with an organized team competing in a tournament, sure go power, assuming you enjoy being boon bot and AOE CC bot.

There are plenty of revenants in top 250 range, all of them power. Marauder rev actually has better sustain than a condi rev because of the shiro evade and staff.

Boon sharing aspect of it is almost insignificant plus condi does it better.

@otto.5684 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

We saw some 1 vs 1 tournaments casted by Jebro which ended with a power Revenant beating all clases (including hard counetrs as condi Mesmers and Necros), you can check those in Youtube. I never saw a condi Revenant wining a relevant tournament. If you search Revenant roaming or duelling videos at Youtube the 90%+ of them are from power builds. I do play both condi and power Rev and power Rev is stronger in both duels and small skirmishes, even after the buffs to the mace and the Corruption traitline. Condi Rev is easier to play because has (somewhat) better tools to deal with conditions and can fight with tankier stats, but its skill ceiling is lower and when you fight really good players condi Rev just has no chance, whereas power Rev played at perfection can win vs any class.

@Buran.3796 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

We saw some 1 vs 1 tournaments casted by Jebro which ended with a power Revenant beating all clases (including hard counetrs as condi Mesmers and Necros), you can check those in Youtube. I never saw a condi Revenant wining a relevant tournament. If you search Revenant roaming or duelling videos at Youtube the 90%+ of them are from power builds. I do play both condi and power Rev and power Rev is stronger in both duels and small skirmishes, even after the buffs to the mace and the Corruption traitline. Condi Rev is easier to play because has (somewhat) better tools to deal with conditions and can fight with tankier stats, but its skill ceiling is lower and when you fight really good players condi Rev just has no chance, whereas power Rev played at perfection can win vs any class.

Dueling with condi rev is kind of stupid though... You can certainly do it, and beat people I guess if you're that much better than them, but most of a condi rev's strength lies in point pressure and aoe, which doesn't matter in a duel where there's no penalty for simply moving off of the node.

@narcx.3570 said:

Dueling with condi rev is kind of stupid though... You can certainly do it, and beat people I guess if you're that much better than them, but most of a condi rev's strength lies in point pressure and aoe, which doesn't matter in a duel where there's no penalty for simply moving off of the node.

And again, every PvP team with some degree of success in the last year using Revenant chose to run the power build. Condi Rev didn't have a place in competitive tournaments since the times in which teams can double a class and we saw two Revs of the same team insta-bursting foes with a synchronized axe #4 (before the nerfs). I also think that the buffs to condi Rev don't fill the hole that the nerfs to Retribution made in October of 2016.

In soloq/competitive, condi is the way to go because you're more self-reliant and for some reason people cant handle condis. With coordinated groups, power rev is the way go due to the near 100% crit chance, cleave potential, herald's amazing revive trait and all-round flexibility.

Revenant really isn't viable at lower tiers, especially with players who can't play as/with revenant at the highest level. It's really become a situation where you're either the best in the world or you're a burden. If you've played Overwatch, our class has become the Hanzo of the game. I love revenant in PvP but, I wouldn't call us viable. We can carry games but in all likely hood we won't, especially not without condi-removing support, like druid/tempest.

@Amityel.5324 said:rev is actually deleted from soloq......mallyx is useless since boonstrip/corrupt, plenty of new condi removals, he cant cover condies like other classes except burn guard. Power rev will die of condis easily, ventari was nerfed (no effective support in upcoming meta)

I think I've only died maybe twice as Hybrid Condi Herald (Sage/Leadership) since the expansion came out... I thought Scourge/Breaker were going to be a problem, but nether of them can deal with the pressure as well as I thought they could. Breakers noticeably are super weak to banish enchantment spam. And, honestly, the affected radius of the new scourge corrupts is super small... Condi reapers using a Signet build, Spiteful Spirit, or just Corrupt Boon did a better job ruining Mallyx than these new punishment skills and sand shades do, so it's not really any worse than it was before PoF vs them.

Of course, this could also just be that everyone is super awful with their new specs still... :trollface:

@narcx.3570 said:Breakers noticeably are super weak to banish enchantment spam. And, honestly, the affected radius of the new scourge corrupts is super small...

Are they? If you don't strip the resistance from a Spellbreaker with the (build below) a condi Rev will do mostly no damage to the Warrior for 21 of each 30 seconds in a fight. Against a regular Warrior or Berserker I gues the 1 Banish Enchantment each 4 seconds can work, but you must also take in consideration that they can spam Full Counter each 8 seconds. But I'll take your advice and start using BE as opener each time in which as a condi Rev duel a Warrior, now.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAoeRnMdAt6iVhAehAciglqATpHE7yB4h4S8KGpA0ACAA-jpgARA3yAg9HAA

@Buran.3796 said:

@narcx.3570 said:Breakers noticeably are super weak to banish enchantment spam. And, honestly, the affected radius of the new scourge corrupts is super small...

Are they? If you don't strip the resistance from a Spellbreaker with the (build below) a condi Rev will do mostly no damage to the Warrior for 21 of each 30 seconds in a fight. Against a regular Warrior or Berserker I gues the 1 Banish Enchantment each 4 seconds can work, but you must also take in consideration that they can spam Full Counter each 8 seconds. But I'll take your advice and start using BE as opener each time in which as a condi Rev duel a Warrior, now.

Well like I said, the ones playing right now probably aren't super great, but yeah, just keep poking them and keep that resistance off and they crumble. Not necessarily using BE as an opener tho, resistance isn't a huge concern until you have some condi's stacked since the damage from only a few stacks isn't so great, plus your sigils should take care of their opening 3 boons... Sage is somewhat of a hybrid build that focuses of self sustain and consistent damage (which includes direct damage as well.) That said, a breaker's damage output is nowhere near what Zerker's were doing, and they don't have headbutt to worry about evading or all that cheese master mace cc(usually), so it's pretty difficult for them to actually kill you--especially if they're dumping their efforts into FC'ing. You can hang in a fight with them even if they have resistance up and probably eventually win even if your condi's never do a single tick of damage, but then if you land your BE or sigil remove on their resist, they go down fast and hard.

All that's 1v1 though, in a team fight it's up to you and what your team can do whether or not you want to focus on BE'ing a called target, Mass Cleaving with condis, or even just baiting the enemy focus and sustaining.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Amityel.5324 said:rev is actually deleted from soloq......mallyx is useless since boonstrip/corrupt, plenty of new condi removals, he cant cover condies like other classes except burn guard. Power rev will die of condis easily, ventari was nerfed (no effective support in upcoming meta)

I think I've only died maybe twice as Hybrid Condi Herald (Sage/Leadership) since the expansion came out... I thought Scourge/Breaker were going to be a problem, but nether of them can deal with the pressure as well as I thought they could. Breakers noticeably are super weak to banish enchantment spam. And, honestly, the affected radius of the new scourge corrupts is super small... Condi reapers using a Signet build, Spiteful Spirit, or just Corrupt Boon did a better job ruining Mallyx than these new punishment skills and sand shades do, so it's not really any worse than it was before PoF vs them.

Of course, this could also just be that everyone is super awful with their new specs still... :trollface:

Would you mind posting what build your using? id like to give Hybrid Rev a go. thankyou!

I've been playing power rev for a while and usually find that most Rev's are really terrible. However, when you encounter a really good Rev they shine like no other. Rev is in a weird place right now wheres its like; I'd only recommend pvping with it if you've mastered the class or looking to master the class. If your just soloq and pvping causally, I'd say stay away from Rev. You'll have to play it at its highest level.

Only the best need apply here.

@Dragon.8762 said:I've been playing power rev for a while and usually find that most Rev's are really terrible. However, when you encounter a really good Rev they shine like no other. Rev is in a weird place right now wheres its like; I'd only recommend pvping with it if you've mastered the class or looking to master the class. If your just soloq and pvping causally, I'd say stay away from Rev. You'll have to play it at its highest level.

Only the best need apply here.

^Exactly this. At the moment (pof spec) it depends on the enemy team comp. If they run condition lineup e.g. scourge, firebrand, condi thief,...you'll get deleted from the match because rev can't handle condi spam. If the enemy team is aware of that, they'll just condi bomb you. In other cases power rev does fine (surprisingly even against spellbreaker).

Archived