Winter's Presence - Are you for real, Anet?

Oglaf.1074

Winter's Presence isn't part of the Festival achievements itself, as it's a part of Rare Collections which has many other difficult-to-acquire collections.

Winter's Presence and Nightfury are unique shoulder skins due to providing auras, which no other shouldpiece does to the player. Plus, it's an aura. Find any aura in GW2 and tell me if it's easy to obtain. :p

@"Abelisk.4527" said:Winter's Presence isn't part of the Festival achievements itself, as it's a part of Rare Collections which has many other difficult-to-acquire collections.

Winter's Presence and Nightfury are unique shoulder skins due to providing auras, which no other shouldpiece does to the player. Plus, it's an aura. Find any aura in GW2 and tell me if it's easy to obtain. :p

No, they're not.

They're shoulder pieces (which sucks, much better if they were actual infusions instead). Furthermore "Winter's Prescence" is very much under the Festivals-category.

But I digress. My point is that it seems Anet miscalculated the drop-rates of Sigils of Mischief or something.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Abelisk.4527" said:Winter's Presence isn't part of the Festival achievements itself, as it's a part of Rare Collections which has many other difficult-to-acquire collections.

No, they're not.

They're shoulder pieces (which sucks, much better if they were actual infusions instead). Furthermore "Winter's Prescence" is very much under the Festivals-category.

But I digress. My point is that it seems Anet miscalculated the drop-rates of Sigils of Mischief or something.When Winter's presence first showed up the drop rate for the sigils was much higher, and that was for Superior sigils. When they instead started dropping the minor sigils the cost of mystic coins was significantly less. On the other hand, the price of the drinks was pretty high.

One Question: Do I have to drink the 10.000 drinks now? The Festive-Imbiber-Achievement states, that it's only available during Wintersday, but other players keep telling me, that I have all the time I need since you can complete the achievement during the entirety of the year.

You can drink them any time through the year, as I understand it. Being unable to complete the JP, I've just sold my drinks (which indeed are selling for much less this year -- they used to go for 7 to 10 s each and they're maybe a fifth of that now. I guess the vast majority of those interested in Winter's Presence already got it).

I assume that you're complaining about Festive Imbiber. I did all of the other Wintersday achievements that were available my first year during that first wintersday of mine. Festive Imbiber took me 2 more years, about. I did it slowly--got myself a home instance tree, opened a present a day, drank the available drinks. Got impatient and bought some cheap tonics off the tp (unlike the eggnogs, you have to individually double-click every tonic to drink them). I finished. I could've finished a lot sooner if I felt like spending the gold to buy all of the drinks outright, or if I had spent the time to complete the jp a gazillion times. It really wasn't hard, just time-consuming because I did it the lazy poor man's way.

The problem is Arena Net doesn't' like to fix recipes, even when they break them.When they first launched the collection, those Sigils and Runes would drop very frequently. Then they pretty much removed them from the gifts drop table (just re-added the sigil recently), so it became way more expensive than intended.The cutoff for the collections was the 10000 drinks achievement, not the sigils. But their mis-judgement turned it the other way around, which is messed up.And to people claiming its a equalizer, that's just a crappy excuse! Where's the equalizer for mawdrey, the Spinal blades, and all the other stuff that was once extremely expensive and hard to obtain? Stuff depreciates with availability. In this case it was Anet's mistake that caused the artificial scarcity.

The costs have shifted around over the years but it has always been like this.

@Donari.5237 said:You can drink them any time through the year, as I understand it. Being unable to complete the JP, I've just sold my drinks (which indeed are selling for much less this year -- they used to go for 7 to 10 s each and they're maybe a fifth of that now. I guess the vast majority of those interested in Winter's Presence already got it).

The casks also reduce the demand for drinks.

@Embered.5089 said:I assume that you're complaining about Festive Imbiber. I did all of the other Wintersday achievements that were available my first year during that first wintersday of mine. Festive Imbiber took me 2 more years, about. I did it slowly--got myself a home instance tree, opened a present a day, drank the available drinks. Got impatient and bought some cheap tonics off the tp (unlike the eggnogs, you have to individually double-click every tonic to drink them). I finished. I could've finished a lot sooner if I felt like spending the gold to buy all of the drinks outright, or if I had spent the time to complete the jp a gazillion times. It really wasn't hard, just time-consuming because I did it the lazy poor man's way.

I think OP means some of the items you need to craft in the MF that require 50 Mystic Coins each. I've seen more people complain about that.

@Ariurotl.3718 said:Call me a buzzkill but I think cosmetic auras should have prohibitive costs. If anything, the ghostly infusion is way too cheap (and tradable to boot), and as a result those ridiculously ugly ghost flames are everywhere.

Guilty as charged.

But trust me, if I could turn it off and still get the stats from it, I would.

I hate it too.

Well, no matter what it is that people say is too expensive, we have to remember that it is, as stated already, a "premium item". It's not something to be handed out freely. Most "high-end" fashion items are like that. Fashion Wars needs to make their money (literally or figuratively).And if everyone could get it so easily, no one want it so badly or see it as anything special.

@"Embered.5089" said:Well, no matter what it is that people say is too expensive, we have to remember that it is, as stated already, a "premium item". It's not something to be handed out freely. Most "high-end" fashion items are like that. Fashion Wars needs to make their money (literally or figuratively).And if everyone could get it so easily, no one want it so badly or see it as anything special.

Just because you label it a premium item doesn't make it so.

In fact, those are exclusive to the Gem Store.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Embered.5089" said:Well, no matter what it is that people say is too expensive, we have to remember that it is, as stated already, a "premium item". It's not something to be handed out freely. Most "high-end" fashion items are like that. Fashion Wars needs to make their money (literally or figuratively).And if everyone could get it so easily, no one want it so badly or see it as anything special.

It's not a premium item because we've labelled it so, it's a premium item because ANet has priced it so.

@Cirrion.8951 said:

It's not a premium item because we've labelled it so, it's a premium item because ANet has priced it so.

It is not a friggin premium item.

Get your terminology straight, people.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

I’m not the one who labelled it a premium item ._.But yeah, good luck.

Archived