Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged] - Page 12 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

167891012>

Comments

• deatine.2498deatine.2498 Member ✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

Did a long postponed Windows April Update two days ago, now I have the flashing desktop problem. No issues before.
    However, no actual tabbing out. Focus always stays on the game and I flash back in automatically.

Different graphics drivers make no difference.

I mean, I don't particularly mind, it's just weird.

• Safa.6170Safa.6170 Member

I did a postponed windows update yesterday, and since then I have been having the '1 sec desktop flash, or alt-tab' every loading screen. I've played GW2 for well over a month, and have never had this issue!
    Have not tried the focus assist thing, but will later today.
    Anyway, any update on this matter? I see a GM posted about a solution being under way, but still nothing a month later?

Best regards

• Solene.3067Solene.3067 Member ✭✭

This bug has been marked as "solved" in the Known Issue Tracker since weeks but it has not been solved in the game. When will it be really solved in the game?

@GM Magister.8736 said:
    Looks like you guys already heard, but I come with good news! There's some excellent progress being made on this issue. I can't really give a timeline yet, since we're still trying to hammer down the best way to go about resolving it, but we're getting pretty confident that there's a light on the horizon, so keep your eyes on the patch notes going forward. :)

As with a lot of things, you can now keep track of the status of this issue on the Known Issue Tracker. We worked with some wizards around the office to get this thing updating automatically as we work through things, and I was able to stick this issue on there for you all to keep track of it easier.

(Unfortunately, during our adjustments to the KIT, a skritt somehow managed to break into the page and make a mess of some of the older bugs. This should be resolved soon, but don't panic if you see the "Three Golem Monty" achievement or other previously solved bugs back on the in-progress issues. It's still fixed, you didn't step into the wrong Fractal or anything like that, and we're trying to get it sorted. Sorry for the confusion!)

• I also updated windows 10 a few days ago and am having this problem. Is this still being looked into? It says it was solved last month, but I've been having this issue the last few days. Is there any chance of an update?

• Amhiel.6195Amhiel.6195 Member ✭✭

@GM Magister.8736 said:
    Looks like you guys already heard, but I come with good news! There's some excellent progress being made on this issue. I can't really give a timeline yet, since we're still trying to hammer down the best way to go about resolving it, but we're getting pretty confident that there's a light on the horizon, so keep your eyes on the patch notes going forward. :)

As with a lot of things, you can now keep track of the status of this issue on the Known Issue Tracker. We worked with some wizards around the office to get this thing updating automatically as we work through things, and I was able to stick this issue on there for you all to keep track of it easier.

(Unfortunately, during our adjustments to the KIT, a skritt somehow managed to break into the page and make a mess of some of the older bugs. This should be resolved soon, but don't panic if you see the "Three Golem Monty" achievement or other previously solved bugs back on the in-progress issues. It's still fixed, you didn't step into the wrong Fractal or anything like that, and we're trying to get it sorted. Sorry for the confusion!)

Mind linking where in known issues this is at. I have gone over it several times and it's nowhere to be found. Game is now getting stuck when it flashes to desktop and then becomes unresponsive. Either it will crash or you have to for close it with Taskmanager. I am really annoyed with this now. It's been going of for too long. I just bought WoW Legion, and Battle for Azeroth because I haven't been able to play the game for 2 months.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Amhiel.6195 said:

@GM Magister.8736 said:

Mind linking where in known issues this is at. I have gone over it several times and it's nowhere to be found. Game is now getting stuck when it flashes to desktop and then becomes unresponsive. Either it will crash or you have to for close it with Taskmanager. I am really annoyed with this now. It's been going of for too long. I just bought WoW Legion, and Battle for Azeroth because I haven't been able to play the game for 2 months.

From the link in the post quoted:

Client: Upgrading to the most recent version of Windows may cause the game to flash to desktop on load screens for users playing in fullscreen mode. 2018-06-13

• Amhiel.6195Amhiel.6195 Member ✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Amhiel.6195 said:

@GM Magister.8736 said:

From the link in the post quoted:

Client: Upgrading to the most recent version of Windows may cause the game to flash to desktop on load screens for users playing in fullscreen mode. 2018-06-13

Oh I expected it to be more than that. Thanks Inculpatus cedo.9234

• "Solved" is an optimistic way of describing it, i just got this issue as well. Same story pretty much, late windows 10 april update and now alt-tabbing in loading screens.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, they will be able to release the 'fix' in one of the upcoming patches.

• NiffyinaJiffy.1532NiffyinaJiffy.1532 Member ✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018

Just logged in today to do the new story. Getting the same issue. I also recently updated windows 10. It's pretty annoying.

Edit: If you play in windowed full screen it doesn't happen.

• I changed to Windows 8 compatibility mode and theres no alt-tabbing in loadingscreens anymore! :-)

Win10, ATI.

• Ticket 6954768 (german) solved today after 23 days - now i can log in just to say this: post your ticket id and the time it took so others can at least estimate a little how long it will take for them ;)

• MinT.6523MinT.6523 Member
    edited July 7, 2018

I have an issue that has only recently started happening - the screen is going black every 30 secs or so for about 2 secs then going back to game - I am not seeing the desktop during this though - is this the same issue reported in this thread (and supposedly fixed ?) )win 10.

Had the problem before where it would drop to desktop for a few secs while map loading but that has now been replaced with the above.

Making it very difficult to play - I have tried windowed mode but it makes no difference.

• alceste.8712alceste.8712 Member ✭✭

@Vulori.6293 said:
    I also updated windows 10 a few days ago and am having this problem. Is this still being looked into? It says it was solved last month, but I've been having this issue the last few days. Is there any chance of an update?

This issue causes me to not want to play the game as well. I enjoy the game but the flashing to desktop is pretty bad.

• Solene.3067Solene.3067 Member ✭✭

07/10/2018—July 10 Release Notes
    General

Fixed a bug in which the game appeared as though it went back to the desktop for a few seconds during map loading.

Thank you for fixing the issue. Since today I do not have the flashing to desktop anymore. Loading screens also seem to be faster now. :)

• Dravis.7681Dravis.7681 Member ✭✭

Thinking anet glossed over the details with that patch note... They did much more than just fixing the flash back to desktop...

I no longer need to run GW2 in compatibility mode or as admin to get overlays to work... I had EVGA precision X running displaying fps in the corner, GeForce Experience overlay, Discord overlay AND Yolomouse ALL running with GW2 last night without any issues. None of the apps were in compatibility mode or running as admin. First time I've ever been able to get them all working together happily.

Great job Anet.

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if it's fully fixed but if it ever comes back here's what i did as a workaround

If you're running Win 10 build 1803 then you'll want to
    1) Go to Settings
    2) Turn off Focus Assist
    3) Right click GW2 icon go to Properties
    4) Click the Compatibility Tab
    5) Check Disable Full Screen Optimization.

• AnClar.1304AnClar.1304 Member ✭✭

Thanks for the fix Anet! Map load now works correctly regardless of W10 Game Mode and/or Focus Assist settings. Again thanks to the support team for nailing this one!

• Nutjob.9021Nutjob.9021 Member ✭✭

I had this problem years ago and thought it was GW2's fault. It took me a while to realize that I had a short in my USB mouse cable. So when the power to the cable was cut when the wire was wiggled just right, it was as if I had unplugged the mouse and then plugged it back in, which was enough to bring me back out of GW2 to the desktop. I'm guessing a USB keyboard could do the same thing.

• Same problem here. Disabling Focus Assist and Games Menu changed nothing.
    Nvidia GeForce 760. Win 1803 17134.228

• Having the same Issue (for months), contacted Support but it takes ages to get a respond.
    Sometimes the "alt-tabing" causes freezing or restarts. And this only happens while playing GW2, the problem is absolutely absent when playing any other game.

Radeon(TM) RX 460/ Windows 10 (build 17134)

Hope the community can give me some answers.

167891012>
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.