Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged] - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

Comments

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:
    It's started happening to me since the Windows 10 update the other day. I think that has something to do with it.

Many experiencing the problem aren't running WIndows 10. (like myself)

• atheria.2837atheria.2837 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018

After the last -WINDOWS UPDATE- GW2 now goes to Windows 10 and then back to the game.

It's not only annoying, it's a guaranteed way to die in some cases, especially in WvW.

Three people I know are getting the same error.

This one may not be on GW2, but the issue is real and it is harmful to the game.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:
    Update: So far, after using the suggestion in the link above, I haven't automatically alt-tabbed from any more games. :)

Had a look at that link and it doesn't work for me since I don't have the folder in the task scheduler where it was suggested to make the change. I also looked at the history of the task scheduler and it hasn't performed any task/action for the last 30 days.
    Different windows version. different AV, different vid cards and drivers etc. The only common thing is the game itself (and it only happens with GW2 for me), so I am starting a believe it is a game issue.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018

@Blude.6812 Sorry, this fix worked before the recent, April update. As I said later, the problem returned and appears to have no notable fix at this time.

Edit: I'll try RNG's suggestion later.

• TheAgedGnome.7520TheAgedGnome.7520 Member ✭✭✭

@Blude.6812 said:

Not using 2 monitors.

Its possible though that this is still the cause, even with 1 monitor. With 2 monitors a person has GW2 minimize and their cursor over on the second screen, whereas someone with one monitor would only see GW2 being minimized - like an ALT-TAB..

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭

I get this, although i call it 'clicking out' although I don't - my mouse can be directly in the center of the screen and GW 2 suddenly isn't my main focus which is annoying in fights.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I got this on my Dell Precision M4800 Windows 7 notebook PC, and never found out where it came from. It only occurs there and not on my main PC, so it must be something outside of the game. Probably some background program stealing focus. I do not see any other windows popup tho.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

edited May 6, 2018

After using RNG's suggestion, I didn't alt-tabbed out of the game. But, to be fair, I only played for an hour or so. Dailies and flax farming.

• Karnasis.6892Karnasis.6892 Member ✭✭✭

I had this problem as well, check for Akami Netsession in your program listing. Some games use it and it runs all the time even when the game isn't in use (DDO for example). I was being forced alt-tabbed out of GW2 everyday do to this issue and I closed Akami and it stopped for me.

Could be anything though

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

A couple questions. Do you use full windowed mode? Do you have multiple monitors? Do you control and turn your character using right click?

It turns out that when you hold right click to turn your camera, the pointer is only invisible and not gone. When you release the mouse button the pointer just returns to the original spot. Its possible that if you turn enough the invisible pointer can click on UI elements and the border of your window. If you click or mouse wheel at the right time it can interact and even click you to a different window or to the desktop.

Strangely . . . I was alt-tabbed out of another game, but so far not Guild Wars 2. I get the feeling this happens on some kind of timer.

• Offair.2563Offair.2563 Member ✭✭✭

Have this too since a month, usually kicks in 1-2 minutes after logging in, after that it does not anymore.

Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and own you with experience.
    Big Babou, Ranger for life.

• Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've not heard of it at all, nor are we seeing it on social media.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Red Haired Savage.5430Red Haired Savage.5430 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

I run windows 10 and haven't had that. It might also be how you're running the game. I run windowed because for me it's easier to back and forth to my web browser/discord/team speak. Does it do it to you in full screen? Another thought could you possibly be hitting alt+tab? Also when did you update Windows(patch Tuesday is tomorrow), hopefully you haven't been having to put up with it for a month? It could possibly be a video card driver crashing, I know that can cause similar issues.

#nornmodeisbestmode

• I've experienced this too, I heard it's to do with the new "do not disturb while gaming" feature. I'm sure that some windows update will fix it at some point.

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

yeah after the 'April Feature Update' version 1803 on my windows 10, have had the same issue. For me it only happens when i load into maps, whether from log in or switching maps. haven't had it while running around in any maps in pve or spvp. (haven't played in wvw since this update)
    I do play in full screen mode myself. My drivers are all up to date. Nothing saying isn't working or has crashed that I'm seeing while running gw2 / my computer in general.

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've not heard of it at all, nor are we seeing it on social media.

There's a few threads about it in 'Support', and even one in General Discussion, I believe.

• I'll go and find and round up all the threads and leave them here in Account and Technical Support.

Gaile Gray

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've not heard of it at all, nor are we seeing it on social media.

the win 10 update is still rolling out so I imagine you will hear more in the coming weeks. seems(for me) to only happen when logging in or switching maps/areas. basically just makes the process even longer.

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

I've had it forever in wvw especially in big fights it'll like minimize the client and then right click onto the desktop. In the past I've tried different methods of locking out the alt tabbing with this and other programs that may be running but nothing ever stops it.

• AnClar.1304AnClar.1304 Member ✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

Another issue that may or may not be related to the flash to desktop/alt-tab problem also started for me after the April W10 update, and there is a thread about it as well https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38922/log-in-click-play-nothing-happens#latest . That is the "disappearing client" issue. Start client, log in, click PLAY, and hey-presto, the client just flat out disappears without a trace. I can restart the client, and the exact same thing happens...no warning, no error messages, just poof...gone. The only way to fix the issue that I've found is to reboot the computer. I've added the disappearing client issue to my support ticket about the flash to desktop problem.

Just for the record, the flash to desktop issue doesn't happen when I run in Windowed Fullscreen mode, only in Fullscreen mode.

• Razoozle.2176Razoozle.2176 Member ✭✭

Does this only happen with GW2 or does it happen with any game? I had a similar issue before where anything full screened or even just windowed mode would lose focus and tab out... I had to reinstall windows to fix the issue, I was thinking it was some sort of malware because it happened twice in quick successions every few hours, causing my cursor to use the loading animation...

• Amhiel.6195Amhiel.6195 Member ✭✭

Only happening on this game in Fullscreen only. Windowed Fullscreen is fine. Completely disrupts discord audio when it flashes to desktop during map change or launch. W.o.W. , RIFT, and SWTOR are fine. No issues with these so it's definitely this game. Ran DDU, Reinstalled graphics drivers, repaired game client, and made sure Windows 10 is updated along with my processor. All are fine on my end. please fix soo, it's killing my Discord convo

• @Amhiel.6195 said:
    Only happening on this game in Fullscreen only. Windowed Fullscreen is fine. Completely disrupts discord audio when it flashes to desktop during map change or launch. W.o.W. , RIFT, and SWTOR are fine. No issues with these so it's definitely this game. Ran DDU, Reinstalled graphics drivers, repaired game client, and made sure Windows 10 is updated along with my processor. All are fine on my end. please fix soo, it's killing my Discord convo

waves Assuming this is the guildy I was talking to...
    I run windowed, have the same graphics card he does (nvidia gtx1070), and haven't experienced this problem.

• brokenrabbit.6538brokenrabbit.6538 Member
    edited May 8, 2018

I am having this problem as well since installing the Windows 10 Spring Update. As described above: flashing to desktop upon logging in with a character and also when switching maps. Though I noticed it does not do it when switching between your home instance and Divinity's Reach.

Radeon RX 480 so yes this affects AMD cards as well. Radeon drivers are dated 4/25/2018 (Released 4/30/2018). [email protected]

• Heather.4823Heather.4823 Member ✭✭
    edited May 8, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I'll go and find and round up all the threads and leave them here in Account and Technical Support.

My thread has been merged with a totally different issue of flashing once per login.
    All the people that were replying to mine said they had the same which was flashing to desktop on ALL loading screens only since the April windows 10 update.

The post it has been merged with is flashing to desktop once per login back from in January. Not the same thing at all...
    Please can you unmerge from this unrelated January thread.

Also surely this is a bug as so many people replied with the same problem. This is also before the April win 10 update is pushed to all users.

@holodoc.5748 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Windows 10 April update (build 1803)

Glitch happens on every map change except when entering and exiting home instances.

Also initial display of character selection screen after login is much longer than before (approximately ten seconds compared to a couple before).

Yup this is it. Every loading screen gets this and I agree the initial character screen is much longer than before.

Only got it right after April Windows 10 update.

Lots of people have this now so maybe you can acknowledge this problem Abet

• AndyS.6079AndyS.6079 Member

@holodoc.5748 said:

Windows 10 April update (build 1803)

Glitch happens on every map change except when entering and exiting home instances.

Also initial display of character selection screen after login is much longer than before (approximately ten seconds compared to a couple before).

Oh, I'm in the same boat since win10 April update and this video shows the problem perfectly (flashing to desktop upon logging in with a character and also when switching maps).

So, what we can do with this trouble?

• Li Xiaolu.4823Li Xiaolu.4823 Member ✭✭

I just tested, it also happens with the old Guild Wars in Fullscreen . It is not only Guild Wars 2.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭

Me too, just started with the Windows April update. Pretty much the same experience as shown in holodoc's video except where they are getting a load screen with a quick flash to the desktop I'm getting a quick flash of the load screen then a longer period on the desktop, though the actual time to load the new map doesn't seem to have increased overall . . .

Obv this isn't gamebreaking but it is kind of jarring and breaks immersion, plus I get less time with the load screen art, a lot of which is really beautiful . . .

• Also having the problem since the windows 10 april update

edited May 9, 2018

Guys you might wanna send a ticket. I did and they said the following. I bet they won't do anything about it until lots of people send tickets. Clearly a problem their side...

Since the issue began only after the Windows update from April 2018, and since we've yet to see an influx of tickets or bug reports regarding this issue, I think that suggests that this is more than likely a compatibility issue from Windows or one of its programs, less so from the game

• Nikon.3921Nikon.3921 Member ✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018

Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

If you Right Click on your GW2 Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change settings for all users > Check Disable Fullscreen Optimizations > Click Okay.

I don't know if it helps with any Discord Audio issues.

@Nikon.3921 said:
    Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

If you Right Click on your GW2 Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change settings for all users > Check Disable Fullscreen Optimizations > Click Okay.

I don't know if it helps with any Discord Audio issues.

Didn't do a thing for me

• AnClar.1304AnClar.1304 Member ✭✭

@Heather.4823 said:
    Guys you might wanna send a ticket. I did and they said the following. I bet they won't do anything about it until lots of people send tickets. Clearly a problem their side...

Since the issue began only after the Windows update from April 2018, and since we've yet to see an influx of tickets or bug reports regarding this issue, I think that suggests that this is more than likely a compatibility issue from Windows or one of its programs, less so from the game

I sent a ticket in a couple of days ago...No response as of yet.

• GreyWolf.8670GreyWolf.8670 Member ✭✭✭

It's the game popping out of DirectX exclusive mode during loading screens. I haven't had it happen with other games that use exclusive for full screen so I suspect it's something changed in the game client. It seems like it started happening around the beginning of April maybe?

@AnClar.1304 said:

@Heather.4823 said:

I sent a ticket in a couple of days ago...No response as of yet.

Took them ages to reply to me but hopefully the more people to send a ticket will help. :+1:

They asked me to send a log but as I said to them it is pointless for one person to do it, they should be asking all affected to do it...

• edited May 9, 2018

Hey folks,

Even while the CS Team is super busy, we would like to ask you to submit a ticket to them, so that they can gather more information and help you out, too! You should use "technical support" as the reason or the "bucket" for your ticket, to best assign it.

They may well ask you to send in a report or a log, and that would be very helpful because it helps identify common issues and parse those that are distinctive to separate individuals and then provide assistance in either area, as they are able to.

Thanks so much!

Gaile Gray

• Braile.3894Braile.3894 Member ✭✭

Also got this error today after the windows creator update april 2018 update.
    Redownloading Gw2 again right now and see if its still there after reinstall.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.