Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged] - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

Comments

• smsarasin.3468smsarasin.3468 Member ✭✭

I want to throw my name in the "me too" list... Ever since the Windows update to 1803, GW2 will drop to desktop on any map loading screens. Game plays fine other than that, but it's like clockwork on any loading screens, drops to desktop for 10 seconds or so, then back to the game.

• Braile.3894Braile.3894 Member ✭✭

Reinstalling Gw2 dident help, created a ticket for this.

• Nikon.3921Nikon.3921 Member ✭✭

@smsarasin.3468 said:
    I want to throw my name in the "me too" list... Ever since the Windows update to 1803, GW2 will drop to desktop on any map loading screens. Game plays fine other than that, but it's like clockwork on any loading screens, drops to desktop for 10 seconds or so, then back to the game.

@Heather.4823 said:

@Nikon.3921 said:
    Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

If you Right Click on your GW2 Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change settings for all users > Check Disable Fullscreen Optimizations > Click Okay.

I don't know if it helps with any Discord Audio issues.

Didn't do a thing for me

Shucks. What's funny, is it's actually not doing the ALT+Tab or the Black flicker screen anymore... it's acting normal again.

edited May 9, 2018

I pretty sure I found the issue. I finally had a chance to check out some of the new features to the April Update and customize what I do and don't want running. And I remember coming across the Focus Assist that still had one option set to ON And it's "When I'm playing a game" I turned it OFF that and didn't think twice about it, until just now. I just turned it back ON and it's doing it again.

This is for Windows 10 Version 1803

• Start Button (you can type Focus Assist Settings and it should be there, if not follow next steps)
    • Settings (Little Gear)
    • System
    • Focus Assist
    • Turn off "When I'm playing a game"

I'm able to reproduce the issue like clockwork every time I change the settings. You may have you reboot after, but I didn't have to.

• AncientYs.8613AncientYs.8613 Member ✭✭

@Nikon.3921 said:
    I pretty sure I found the issue. I finally had a chance to check out some of the new features to the April Update and customize what I do and don't want running. And I remember coming across the Focus Assist that still had one option set to ON And it's "When I'm playing a game" I turned it OFF that and didn't think twice about it, until just now. I just turned it back ON and it's doing it again.

This is for Windows 10 Version 1803

• Start Button (you can type Focus Assist Settings and it should be there, if not follow next steps)
    • Settings (Little Gear)
    • System
    • Focus Assist
    • Turn off "When I'm playing a game"

I'm able to reproduce the issue like clockwork every time I change the settings. You may have you reboot after, but I didn't have to.

Thankyou for this solution!

• Heather.4823Heather.4823 Member ✭✭

It’s not focus assist. Lots of us turned it off and still get it

• @Braile.3894 said:
    Reinstalling Gw2 dident help, created a ticket for this.

Thanks a lot for letting us know that. It helps to have this additional info.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Jura.2170Jura.2170 Member ✭✭

This was happening to me a lot last month. Every few seconds it would alt tab to desktop, and it also flashes every time there's a map change. Made it completely unplayable

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

ye seems clunk

@Heather.4823 said:

Okay then, it's a totally separate issue from what I was experiencing. It's no longer doing it, unless I turn on that setting and like I mentioned... like clockwork. I'll be going then. Cheers and Goodluck all.

• Vulcaruss.9567Vulcaruss.9567 Member ✭✭✭

First Dev response after the change and this is what we get.... This is both Typical and Depressing...

• AnClar.1304AnClar.1304 Member ✭✭

@Heather.4823 said:

Yep...turning off focus assist did not fix the issue for me, but it did change it. What it did was: with focus assist off, the flicker to desktop was a much shorter one...it still happens every time I switch zones or load in a new map, but instead of a 3-5 second drop to desktop with focus assist on, it is now a second or less with focus assist off. As of now, the only way I can totally eliminate the flicker is still by running GW2 in Windowed Fullscreen mode.

FYI: Workaround is to play Gw2 in Windowed Fullscreen.
    But i think fps are a little lower in this mode.

edited May 10, 2018

Just installed the new May 9 Nvidia driver 397.64 for my GTX 970FTW card. Still have same issue...flash to desktop in Fuillscreen mode...have to run in Windowed Fullscreen to not have the drop to desktop on map load/zone change. If it is an Nvidia problem, it isn't fixed in this driver version...and the notes say that some of the changes are for compatibility with the April Windows 10 update. So issue continues...just more info for the support folks.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

After setting my game to administrative, I haven't alt-tabbed out since. Haven't done this with another game, and I have alt-tabbed out. So, apparently, setting to administer required acceptance does help.

edited May 10, 2018

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:
    After setting my game to administrative, I haven't alt-tabbed out since. Haven't done this with another game, and I have alt-tabbed out. So, apparently, setting to administer required acceptance does help.

Interesting...If I set the GW2 client properties to "Run as Administrator", behavior changes. I don't get the drop to desktop...now, in Fullscreen mode, I get a flash to a black screen when it would go to a desktop before. So it's still not right. It's still flashing...only now it flashes to a black screen instead of the desktop. Strange that.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

Now that's different. Have no idea about that one. . . .

• banshee.9328banshee.9328 Member ✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

The thing with flashing to desktop while loading between maps also happens to me after Windows April Update (1803) but there is something strange.

Game apparently doesn't flash to desktop but to last screen seen before going Fullscreen. You can check it this way:
    1. go options->graphics->windowed fullscreen
    2. change map
    3. go windows->graphics->fullscreen
    4. change map
    From now on game won't show desktop but your game screen with options window opened remembered before changing to Fullscreen.

• Heather.4823Heather.4823 Member ✭✭

Running game as admin doesn’t work either

• I'm having the same problem. Updated windows 10 last week and now the game client flashes to desktop whenever a map loads. It's like somewhere in the background alt-tab is happening and changing the windows focus. After the map loads I'm automatically taken from my desktop back to the game in progress, and everything works fine. I've tried several of the work-arounds listed on the forum and none seem to make any difference.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

Windows Updates always cause more trouble than they are worse, only do them if you absolutely have to.

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• Lithril Ashwalker.6230Lithril Ashwalker.6230 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

it appears that even though skill 4 while kneeled may be a smoke field, it doesnt count projectile finishers and will not shoot blinding shot...but you can blast it with deaths retreat to go invis...nor does it blind enemies coming close...makes NO sense at all. Aslo PLEASE FIX Shadow Trap! it could help deadeye ALOT!

• Vyrulisse.1246Vyrulisse.1246 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

@banshee.9328 said:
    The thing with flashing to desktop while loading between maps also happens to me after Windows April Update (1803) but there is something strange.

Game apparently doesn't flash to desktop but to last screen seen before going Fullscreen. You can check it this way:
    1. go options->graphics->windowed fullscreen
    2. change map
    3. go windows->graphics->fullscreen
    4. change map
    From now on game won't show desktop but your game screen with options window opened remembered before changing to Fullscreen.

Can confirm it started happening to me as well after the Windows April Update. I turned all the Focus Assist stuff off as well so it isn't that.

@Malediktus.9250 said:
    Windows Updates always cause more trouble than they are worse, only do them if you absolutely have to.

No longer an option without disabling services in W10. Microsoft now forces users to update.

• Don't have the problem that the game alt-tabs on it's own, but i get windows desktops in loading screens.

Seems like going borderless fullscreen works.

• Martimus.6027Martimus.6027 Member ✭✭✭

I was having this issue, and then I updated my graphics card drivers. I use a 980ti and downloaded the most recent drivers and haven't had the issue since. I hope people get this resolved.

I may not be what you want, baby, but I am most certainly what you need.

OK...on a totally separate computer...Asus ROG Strix GL503VMF laptop w/built-in Nvidia GTX1060...was running GW2 perfectly in Fullscreen mode...applied April W10 update...now have the exact same flash to desktop in Fullscreen mode as I do on my desktop rig. Just more info to hopefully help support...only change to environment was to apply W10 April update to cause the problem.

• Same issue here. Running the game as administrator and turning off the new Windows-Fokus-assistant was able to reduce the duration the "alt-tabbing" (similar to duration in the video above).
    For me this started after the new Windows 10 update. I have a 1070 graphics-card and just installed the newest drivers. Right now im reinstalling gw2, but after a first try the "alt-tabbing" is still there. As soon as the game is installed completely i will write an ingame ticket.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AnClar.1304 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

No longer an option without disabling services in W10. Microsoft now forces users to update.

True, or use enterprise/education version.

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• Trinnitty.8256Trinnitty.8256 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

I been getting this problem now since april windows 10 update pack. Pretty much as described here. Changing maps causes longer load with the flash of desktop. I used to load into maps like fractals and be first. Now i'm delayed a bit.

Just another info, same is happinging in gw1 now with the newest windows patch :)

• Fremtid.3528Fremtid.3528 Member ✭✭✭

I did a windows update this morning and then logged back in and ever since almost every loading screen does a sort of alt tab and then alt tabs me back into the game. Idk what is up with the game would a -repair to the launcher fix this or is this all on the windows update. I wouldn't know how to fix that.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018

There's a new feature called, "Focus Assist" which can be adjusted to bother you less.
    Settings → System → Focus Assist

On the internet, people have been suggesting that you turn it off... and that seems to help most people. I've instead turned it on and specified: "only bug me for priority updates" and then removed every program from the priority list. So far, I don't even get bothered by update notifications.
    Recommendation: try disabling it first (since that's easiest); if it doesn't, try my suggestion.

Technically, it's not really a new "feature" — we just never had any control over it in previous versions of Windows. So it's better now, because you can make very detailed choices about what sort of notifications will steal "focus" from your current window. However, the default settings are too liberal for a lot of people's tastes.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Fremtid.3528Fremtid.3528 Member ✭✭✭

I don't think it's that. It's literally EVERY loading screen and I'm logging on alts and stuff so its a lot of loading screens.

• Yeah beware of your game potentially freezing if you alt + tab too much, at least that's what happens to my game sometimes.

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    There's a new feature called, "Focus Assist" which can be adjusted to bother you less.
    Settings → System → Focus Assist

On the internet, people have been suggesting that you turn it off... and that seems to help most people. I've instead turned it on and specified: "only bug me for priority updates" and then removed every program from the priority list. So far, I don't even get bothered by update notifications.
    Recommendation: try disabling it first (since that's easiest); if it doesn't, try my suggestion.

Technically, it's not really a new "feature" — we just never had any control over it in previous versions of Windows. So it's better now, because you can make very detailed choices about what sort of notifications will steal "focus" from your current window. However, the default settings are too liberal for a lot of people's tastes.

This does not fix the issue.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018

@Haleydawn.3764 said:
    This does not fix the issue.

You've tried both shutting off Focus Assist and (if that didn't do the trick) turning it on for priority updates only (and then specifying zero apps for priority)?

Another article suggested turning off the automatic rule for gaming (whether or not Focus Assist was on for anything else).

Here's more on the topic:
    https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-slow-alt-plus-tab-when-playing-games-on-windows-10-april-2018-update-520927.shtml

Another article suggested tweaking notifications. Settings → System → Notifications & actions.

Other articles have suggested rolling back video card drives.

For what it's worth, here's an article with a list of common issues and their solutions:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/01/all-the-issues-of-windows-10-version-1803-you-may-run-into/

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭

Please fix this, it is killing me in WvW! Started happening after the last Windows update, nothing ever good happens after those :expressionless:

BG

• atheria.2837atheria.2837 Member ✭✭✭

@circuitnerd.5863 said:
    Within just the past several days my game has randomly been alt-tabbing to the desktop once in a while. Typically it only happens once per login. Has anyone else been experiencing this lately as well? I've completely formatted my computer and everything but no change. It's kind of annoying but luckily it doesn't happen much.

Happens any time I switch maps.

It's not resolved at all.

• atheria.2837atheria.2837 Member ✭✭✭

@Heather.4823 said:

@abomally.2694 said:

The desktop flashing issue has been happening for me for a long time. I don't worry about it because the game seems to work properly.

Yeah the 3 second flickering only when I click play has happened for like a year but that's no issue to me which I why I didn't mention it as it's not the same issue I am talking about here. That issue is just the screen flickering for about 3 seconds on load of the game only. Nothing to do with this.

The issue I am talking about here is since the April update that I see the desktop on all loading screens..

Destroys game modes like WvW.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.