Are these Female Jotun?

Weindrasi.3805

All the Jotun models look the same, physically. However, I have noticed something interesting about the Jotun in Snowden Drifts. All Jotun we see wandering outside their camps are very large melee fighters. Once you go into the camp, though, you find very small bow-wielding Jotun. From Jotun lore, we know the females stay hidden in the camps to rear children. This leads me to wonder if the small bow-wielding Jotun, which I have only found in camps, are the females. Has anyone else noticed this with Jotun on other maps?

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Might be a training ground for young jotun, though.

Perhaps. Since all the wandering jotun seem to be melee fighters though, wouldn't the young men be trained to use swords, not bows?I'm inclined to think the Jotun are more like the Ogres--I don't know where a connection to the norn came from, but in the Wiki, they are stated to be related to Ogres. And Ogres have very little sexual difference.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Might be a training ground for young jotun, though.

Perhaps. Since all the wandering jotun seem to be melee fighters though, wouldn't the young men be trained to use swords, not bows?I'm inclined to think the Jotun are more like the Ogres--I don't know where a connection to the norn came from, but in the Wiki, they are stated to be related to Ogres. And Ogres have very little sexual difference.

Actually, I was thinking that they aren't large enough to simply bludgeon everything into submission yet, they might need to rely on options that a full-grown jotun wouldn't bother with.

As for ogres don't differ to the same extent as the norn, but what is there is still clearly notable. It's still easy to tell a female ogre from a male at a glance (at least for the Ascalon strain- I haven't spent enough time with the ones in the desert to know if they're the same).

(The norn connection, by the way, I believe is entirely down to Thruln the Lost, who tells the norn stories of an 'Age of Giants' where both jotun and norn ruled the world. Some folks take that to mean that they're both in the 'Giant' racial category, and so related. The ogre connection comes from the behind-the-scenes section of the jotun lore article released a few months before the game launched, where they quickly skimmed past a statement that the 'two species are interlinked'.)

@Namless.4028 said:We could also just have seen Jotun outposts and nor real Jotun city

The Jotun don't really have cities anymore, nor do they have the intellectual/cultural capacity needed to create new ones.

Makes you wonder if there are some impressive Jotun ruins out there from this supposed Age of Giants that Thrulnn speaks of, though.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Namless.4028 said:We could also just have seen Jotun outposts and nor real Jotun city

The Jotun don't really have cities anymore, nor do they have the intellectual/cultural capacity needed to create new ones.

Makes you wonder if there are some impressive Jotun ruins out there from this supposed Age of Giants that Thrulnn speaks of, though.

Weren't the towers in Kryta in GW1 from Jotun? Or was that just someone's guess? (I guess they weren't that impressive either.)

@Fluffball.8307 said:

Weren't the towers in Kryta in GW1 from Jotun? Or was that just someone's guess? (I guess they weren't that impressive either.)

Far as I know, those towers were confirmed to be Krytan. Some of them were built to watch for a mysterious foe from across the Giant's Basin, and those might have been jotun, but the architecture was clearly human.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

Far as I know, those towers were confirmed to be Krytan. Some of them were built to watch for a mysterious foe from across the Giant's Basin, and those might have been jotun, but the architecture was clearly human.

That sounds right. I just remembered ruined towers and stuff about giants, but in hindsight I think they were watchtowers to guard against giants.

• 2 weeks later...

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@"Namless.4028" said:We could also just have seen Jotun outposts and nor real Jotun city

That sounds right. I just remembered ruined towers and stuff about giants, but in hindsight I think they were watchtowers to guard against giants.

The most commonly known/referred to towers were on the shore of (Greater) Giant's Basin. Who that foe was, was never hinted at. I've seen credible thoughts for it being centaurs or giants (and not jotun giants but hill giants which had invaded the Shiverpeaks in the past as well).

• 2 weeks later...

@"Snowflurry.4529" said:Now that you mention this. I was thinking: Have we ever seen Jotun children?

No, but I'd imagine that is simply an omission Anet decided to make because harming children is bad.

You don't see the children/offspring of any of the hostile "lesser races" in their settlements. No Grawlites or Skrittlets.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Snowflurry.4529" said:Now that you mention this. I was thinking: Have we ever seen Jotun children?

No, but I'd imagine that is simply an omission Anet decided to make because harming children is bad.

You don't see the children/offspring of any of the hostile "lesser races" in their settlements. No Grawlites or Skrittlets.

You see baby skritt (called Kits in-game) in a few places. First one that comes to mind is near the underground ship in Silverwastes. There's also at least one that runs around Lion's Arch. But I've never seen young Grawl.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

You see baby skritt (called Kits in-game) in a few places. First one that comes to mind is near the underground ship in Silverwastes. There's also at least one that runs around Lion's Arch. But I've never seen young Grawl.

There are some in the Bitterfrost map. Of course they are just tuny adult grawl so it looks weird but they are there.

Archived