Linked servers, bit confused. Not sure which server to go to....

sticx.5823

So just recently returned to the game, and I'm a bit confused as to the state of WvW atm. With this addition of linked servers, I feel like I need to be a lot more careful where I play, as if I were to choose a linked server, I could potentially be linked to a new server every rotation, which would really screw with any sense of community.

Currently I'm on Blackgate, and have been since I bought gw2 in the beginning, but while looking for guilds upon my return I've had a lot of offers from people on other servers. But have really been struggling to find an active WvW/PvX guild on BG that is kind of mediumcore.... both laid back, fun, and get's things done all at once. It's either crazy elite guilds, which feels almost military in nature, or nothing. Not really on board with that.

But I'm really worried about transferring to another server, and getting screwed with a total lack of decent community... :(

Hi Sticx,

I'm from Gate of Madness, one of the largest linked servers. Gate of Madness still has an active community and several large PvX "mediumcore" guilds exactly like you describe. From what I can tell, GoM is unique in that regard. Most other linked server communities (feel free to correct me here) seem to be run by the few T1-2 guilds that transferred down. If all you're looking for is guild community, then you should have no problem transferring to a Linked Server. If you're looking for more of a server community, then I'd suggest limiting your search to host servers, GoM and any other linked servers with communities intact. If you'd like any more info about GoM, feel free to reply, PM me on the forums or in-game.

Thank you for the reply, I've got a couple of good invites for guilds from TC, but even they admit that the server is struggling community wise. Even though it has a strong guild presence. I guess my worry would be that if I transferred to TC, NSP, or HoD and the pop on those 3 continue to dwindle, they could be dropped off the list as host servers, and replaced with another server. Which would mean then I would be on a linked server, without any strong sense of community.

it looks like the t2 servers are a lot closer in the running so I might look into one of them. Or SBI or CD.

@sticx.5823 said:So just recently returned to the game, and I'm a bit confused as to the state of WvW atm. With this addition of linked servers, I feel like I need to be a lot more careful where I play, as if I were to choose a linked server, I could potentially be linked to a new server every rotation, which would really screw with any sense of community.

Currently I'm on Blackgate, and have been since I bought gw2 in the beginning, but while looking for guilds upon my return I've had a lot of offers from people on other servers. But have really been struggling to find an active WvW/PvX guild on BG that is kind of mediumcore.... both laid back, fun, and get's things done all at once. It's either crazy elite guilds, which feels almost military in nature, or nothing. Not really on board with that.

But I'm really worried about transferring to another server, and getting screwed with a total lack of decent community... :(

[bG] BLACKGATE is the guild. just ask team chat on how to beat the game.

@sticx.5823 said:

@sticx.5823 said:Also, what does DVD mean in terms of WvW?

It means CD is going DVD. You come to CD, be part of the fearless outnumbered kings.

lol i assume that means Crystal Desert is going DVD, but I dunno kitten DVD means. Unless you are making a movie =)

IDK lol, the young kids probably have some blue ray thingy these days. I can't keep up anymore.

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

It means CD is going DVD. You come to CD, be part of the fearless outnumbered kings.

lol i assume that means Crystal Desert is going DVD, but I dunno kitten DVD means. Unless you are making a movie =)

IDK lol, the young kids probably have some blue ray thingy these days. I can't keep up anymore.Blueray? Are you a dinosaur?

Just stream your movies off the internet, physical hardware is so ancient.

@Crinn.7864 said:

IDK lol, the young kids probably have some blue ray thingy these days. I can't keep up anymore.Blueray? Are you a dinosaur?

Shut up lol

@sticx.5823 said:So just recently returned to the game, and I'm a bit confused as to the state of WvW atm. With this addition of linked servers, I feel like I need to be a lot more careful where I play, as if I were to choose a linked server, I could potentially be linked to a new server every rotation, which would really screw with any sense of community.

what time zone do you play?

nsp is ok 6pm server time onwards till 8am. 8am to 6pm is our downtime (come on zeegs transfer heee)

I'd stay stay on bg. because the server is stable.

i'd check wvwstats.com for timezone activity check so i know the server i go to has plahers aftive at the time i play

=3

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

Shut up lol

hehe streaming is good. Netflix =3

@"sticx.5823" said:Thank you for the reply, I've got a couple of good invites for guilds from TC, but even they admit that the server is struggling community wise. Even though it has a strong guild presence. I guess my worry would be that if I transferred to TC, NSP, or HoD and the pop on those 3 continue to dwindle, they could be dropped off the list as host servers, and replaced with another server. Which would mean then I would be on a linked server, without any strong sense of community.

it looks like the t2 servers are a lot closer in the running so I might look into one of them. Or SBI or CD.

I don't think it's possible for a host server to become a linked server with the current system. While the host servers do move up and down in rating from winning or losing matchups, the ratings of the linked servers are all frozen and well below the ratings of the hosts. As an example: Ehmry Bay has been at that exact 1528 rating for months as all the host servers shifted about above it. A host losing matchups for weeks wouldn't even make it dip down below 1700.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

@"sticx.5823" said:Thank you for the reply, I've got a couple of good invites for guilds from TC, but even they admit that the server is struggling community wise. Even though it has a strong guild presence. I guess my worry would be that if I transferred to TC, NSP, or HoD and the pop on those 3 continue to dwindle, they could be dropped off the list as host servers, and replaced with another server. Which would mean then I would be on a linked server, without any strong sense of community.

I don't think it's possible for a host server to become a linked server with the current system. While the host servers do move up and down in rating from winning or losing matchups, the ratings of the linked servers are all frozen and well below the ratings of the hosts. As an example: Ehmry Bay has been at that exact 1528 rating for months as all the host servers shifted about above it. A host losing matchups for weeks wouldn't even make it dip down below 1700.

Link to host is possible. example, Underworld used to be linked and is now main.

@shiri.4257 said:

[bG] BLACKGATE is the guild. just ask team chat on how to beat the game.

I cant divulge too much info...but it involves lots and lots of coconuts...If you only knew :astonished:, you would never look at another coconut the same way again!

Also there is no guild called BLACKGATE :3

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Link to host is possible. example, Underworld used to be linked and is now main.

In NA, I know Henge of Denravi used to be a link and is now a host. I'm just not clear on how a link becomes a host and vice versa since the current twelve hosts (in NA at least) have remained the same since I returned to the game over a year ago.

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

In NA, I know Henge of Denravi used to be a link and is now a host. I'm just not clear on how a link becomes a host and vice versa since the current twelve hosts (in NA at least) have remained the same since I returned to the game over a year ago.

when u get enough coverage. =)

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

Henge was always a Host, it was CD that started as a link, and they moved into host because they got paired with 3 other servers and decimated T4 knocking DH out of its host position.

@HazyDaisy.4107 said:

Henge was always a Host, it was CD that started as a link, and they moved into host because they got paired with 3 other servers and decimated T4 knocking DH out of its host position.

Actually nevermind, during that linking phase there were 2 hosts that got linked to make room for CD and SF being trial hosts. One was NSP and the other I believe was HOD, but neither ever moved out of the top 12 as a result of that linking phase, so they never were technically link servers, they just played the part awhile.Consequentally, I believe that was when the poll to shift from 3 month linkings to 2 month linkings passed and we ended that link phase at around 2-1/2 months.

I love being on a Linked Server (EBay) on one account because of the variety it offers. I've been able to experience the differing communities and personalities of a whole lot of servers I'd never otherwise have seen. If I ever had any doubt that different servers do have very different cultures, playing on a link has certainly changed that view. That said, it can be purgatory when you get linked with a server you find unpleasant in some way, and if you end up getting that link again when the links change then it does make you consider moving to somewhere you actually like.

Currently very happy to be linked with TC, who are a very affable bunch.

Archived