Design-A-Weapon Contest: Ask your questions here - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Design-A-Weapon Contest: Ask your questions here

Comments

• AegisRunestone.8672AegisRunestone.8672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

Yeah, I submitted my weapon last night at about 3 pm PT (4 pm my time). I worked on it ALL day. I finished/cleaned up the lineart, added base colors and then did some basic shading since... honestly, this is my first REAL drawing (and I had to look up shading tutorials).

It all started with a mish-mash as a reference and then making my own sketch via pencil and sketch paper. I'm really grateful I have a scanner. XD

Good luck, everyone!

• I'm so excited to see everyone's designs! Hopefully we'll get to see all the entries somewhere as well, i'd really like to see all of them, not just the ones that make it to the final ^^

• I managed to get one design entered :) I sure hope you guys do more of these.

• MakubeC.3026MakubeC.3026 Member ✭✭✭

@NefyFeiri.6328 said:
    I'm so excited to see everyone's designs! Hopefully we'll get to see all the entries somewhere as well, i'd really like to see all of them, not just the ones that make it to the final ^^

That would be perfect, yes. I have really high expectations for this contest. Haven't been this hyped in a while.

• I'm bummed I didn't get around to entering this, oh whell D: When does voting start? And do you guys have any plans to do more contests like this in future? ;)

• MidnightX.6294MidnightX.6294 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017

Pls deliver us from the hype, anet. When will we get to see the enteries? @Gaile Gray.6029

Nothing to see here - move along.

• MadLass.3821MadLass.3821 Member ✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017

So I uploaded my design a weapon contest entry before it ended, and I looked over the rules again today to make sure, and I realised that I wasn't supposed to put my account number on it, just my account name. Will I be disqualified or am I ok?

• @MidnightX.6294 said:
    Pls deliver us from the hype, anet. When will we get to see the enteries? @Gaile Gray.6029

I'm eagerly awaiting the voting, too. But you'll want to ping @Stéphanie Bourguet.5287 since Gaile told me she pretty much runs the contest. :)

Did any of you guys receive a confirmation email after submitting your works?

• @MakubeC.3026 said:

I don't remember. I don't think so.

@MakubeC.3026 said:

No mail for me. The only confirmation was right after a picture was submitted on the website itself.

• @MakubeC.3026 said:

No confirmation email for me as well.

I hope the works will get posted soon. Can't wait anymore, I'm too hyped.

• @Iridium.6385 said:

@MakubeC.3026 said:

No confirmation email for me as well.

I hope the works will get posted soon. Can't wait anymore, I'm too hyped.

I share your hype. I want to see! :D

• eduardo.1436eduardo.1436 Member ✭✭✭

@MakubeC.3026 said:

Checking to see about voting date, saw this, checked my mail gw2-related and also have nothing, hopefully this is not a problem. Seriously I hope is not.

OMG, 900?!?!
    I hope you do some Special Mentions from the ones you guys liked the most but didn't make it to the finalist.
    Another fun idea would be to upload all the entries so we can spend an entire afternoon browsing them in awe haha

• @MakubeC.3026 said:
    OMG, 900?!?!
    I hope you do some Special Mentions from the ones you guys liked the most but didn't make it to the finalist.
    Another fun idea would be to upload all the entries so we can spend an entire afternoon browsing them in awe haha

I'd also like to see the Special Mentions if that will be possible... 900 entries is pretty serious, I can only imagine how hard it is to choose from such an amount.

Maybe we'll create a Reddit and/or Forum thread later where all participants could post their entries.

edited October 25, 2017

I think the people who entered can upload their picture of their weapon after the contest is over. At least, that's what I got from the rules. I mean, you'd want to upload it without your personal info, account name, etc.

edited October 25, 2017

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:
    I think the people who entered can upload their picture of their weapon after the contest is over. At least, that's what I got from the rules. I mean, you'd want to upload it without your personal info, account name, etc.

@Stéphanie Bourguet.5287 Is this correct? Because I assumed I could upload my entry (with all personal info, email, and account name removed) after the contest was over to say, my deviantArt page?

Edit: Hang on, the answer is on the first page of this thread:

@Stéphanie Bourguet.5287 said:

Iridium.6385:
    - Is it allowed to post an uploaded weapon concept to other places, for example this forum or reddit, while potential winners are being selected (before the community gets to vote) as well as while the community is voting? I assumed that since you are planning to erase any additional information (weapon name, explanations, etc) from the concept, you want the people to vote on the design only. But advertising a concept on the forums would ruin that. After seeing some people posting their concepts I almost did it myself but decided to ask to be sure.

Posting a concept submitted for the contest publicly (anywhere) before the finalists are announced is not allowed by the rules. Once we announce the finalists, artists whose entries were not selected can share theirs. Finalists would have to wait for votes to end.

So, basically, once the contest ends, everyone is safe to post their concepts on reddit, deviantArt, etc. Though, if you didn't make the final 20, you can post it once the voting starts.

edited October 26, 2017

@Iridium.6385 said:
    Maybe we'll create a Reddit and/or Forum thread later where all participants could post their entries.

That would be cool, but getting the artists of all 900 concepts to post their entries in a single thread is very unlikely. But i guess its our best shot since the team won't remove the personal info out of 900 pictures. A forum thread would be better. Maybe link it to reddit to grab some attention.

• @Stéphanie Bourguet.5287 said:
    Hi! There are so many good entries (we received more than 900 of them)!
    Narrowing down the selection to 20 finalists is not easy!

Any idea when the voting will take place and how? Is there going to be something in-game, or an online poll, or maybe a vote somehow using the forums?

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

So ,when is it when the votign wil begin, is thevsome kind of date, where we can expect that the 20 finalists wil lhave been chosen by then and the voting starts?
    I either have overread that fact , or it hasn#t been announced yet, when we can start voting ^^

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

Side Note:

it would be very nice of you Anet, if you could announce the beginjing of the Contest Voting here in the forums by makign up again nice a nice red eye cathcer announcement on the top of the forums, like you did that for avatars.
    That way it can't be overseen by anyone, once the moment has come, where we can start to vote for the twenty finalists ;)

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Last time you cut out all products, allowing only joke options. Is there a gallery with all 900 designs? I want to know what youre cutting out, and how amazing the cut-out community is

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• @Ayakaru.6583 said:
    Last time you cut out all products, allowing only joke options. Is there a gallery with all 900 designs? I want to know what youre cutting out, and how amazing the cut-out community is

We haven't even seen the winners yet and people are already complaining. The winners from the previous contests were great. Sure the frog scepter was a bit too cheesy for my liking, but it fits into the game just fine and there are plenty of people who liked it. Would love to hear what "joke options" you're talking about...

It was already said that artists will be free to post their concepts after the contest ends. Whether they'll want to do that is up to them and I wouldn't expect Anet to post all 900+ entries on their forum.

Last time they showcased a few items that weren't parsed and i thought they were great, and then the selection wad a bunch of literal joke weapons.. you know quaggan shields.. and the like.. stuff that doesn't fit in the game unless you're deliberately trying to look like a mess

Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• According to the rules:

The twenty finalists will be chosen by a panel of judges composed of ArenaNet staff members based on: Creativity, Style, Originality.

Guess they're doing this now; they need to cut it down from 900 (wow!) to 20.

The winners will be on www.guildwars2.com on or around November 13, 2017.

So they will open up voting any day now, hopefully! If they don't give at least a week for voting, I doubt most people will see it before it's over. A lot of people completely missed the competition, and it was announced in August. Getting the word out there for one week or less of voting might be difficult.

• SugarCayne.3098SugarCayne.3098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017

Agreed, it should be at least a month of voting. Gives people a chance to get word out and actually take a look.

Then that brings us up to right before Christmas, which is a nice gift to give the community.

Perhaps the November 13 date is when the voting begins. Just a grammatical mistake in the announcement: (winners being the 20 finalists).

• @SugarCayne.3098 said:
    Perhaps the November 13 date is when the voting begins. Just a grammatical mistake

Could be! Knowing that they have to select 20 from over 900, I wouldn't blame them for just putting things on hold for a few weeks.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Who designed that torch and why is he the winner?

OMG! I can't believe I made it!!!! I made it~!!!!!
    Is it legal to ask for votes on social media?
    No prize or anything offered, just publicity.

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭

I am really amazed by all the 20 finalists for the "Design-a-weapon" contest! And now that I saw those awesome entries I'd really love to see all 900 entries!

Could you post them somewhere if that was possible?

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

Can we see all the 900 "Design-a-weapon" entries please?

• Yeah, the torch is easily the top pick, though I really like the axes too.

Permanently Embiggened

• edited October 31, 2017

I will try to make a Flickr album of the finalists tomorrow but you might have to wait a bit longer to see all of the entries: I need to remove duplicates and personnal information details from the entries ;) - e-mails addresses and countries. I'll leave the name though, to make sure the artists are credited.

As great as the 20 chosen are, i want to see for myself what other great 880 designs there.

..jormag? Who's that?

edited October 31, 2017

My staff didnt made it... and compared to the staffs in the voting i find mine still alot better than the most of the top 20... .
    Well one month of hard work gone for nothing. and not even a consolation prize for all the participants.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MakubeC.3026 said:

I would guess that you cannot specifically ask for votes for yourself or identify which one is yours, given the above quotes saying the finalists may not publicly share their work until the contest is over though those who are not finalists are now free to do so. However, you could probably link to the voting page and urge people to pick one without in any way indicating which is yours or lobbying for your entry at all (I suggest not even telling them you are one of the 20, to be safe, though you may have already taken that risk with this post).

• Sad I didn't make it. :( But then again, it was my first colored, digital drawing, the chances of it making the 20 finalists were low. There was a dagger on there I liked.

So, for those of us who didn't make it, can we post our creations?

@Donari.5237 said:

@MakubeC.3026 said:

I would guess that you cannot specifically ask for votes for yourself or identify which one is yours, given the above quotes saying the finalists may not publicly share their work until the contest is over though those who are not finalists are now free to do so. However, you could probably link to the voting page and urge people to pick one without in any way indicating which is yours or lobbying for your entry at all (I suggest not even telling them you are one of the 20, to be safe, though you may have already taken that risk with this post).

Yeah, I'll play it safe.
    Very excited anyways.

• @AegisRunestone.8672 said:
    Sad I didn't make it. :( But then again, it was my first colored, digital drawing, the chances of it making the 20 finalists were low. There was a dagger on there I liked.

So, for those of us who didn't make it, can we post our creations?

Yep! https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/13514/post-your-weapon-design-contest-submission#latest

Permanently Embiggened

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

Oh man I don't know how I'm going to be able to pick just 1 of those designs.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Was a fairly easy choice. Torch was just another level above the others for me

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• edited November 1, 2017

The pistol looks like a Nerf gun. Specifically this one https://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Maverick-Discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B0002UP0IA
    Not to say that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying.

• LooLoo.1437LooLoo.1437 Member ✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017

If you got into the top 20, can you post it (as in the painting) on social media and the forums? Or is that still eligible for disqualification?

I will try to make a Flickr album of the finalists tomorrow but you might have to wait a bit longer to see all of the entries: I need to remove duplicates and personnal information details from the entries ;) - e-mails addresses and countries. I'll leave the name though, to make sure the artists are credited.

The album of finalists is available on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/albums/with/72157665734510569 (Artists will be credited in the description once the poll ends).

@Stéphanie Bourguet.5287 said:

The album of finalists is available on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/albums/with/72157665734510569 (Artists will be credited in the description once the poll ends).

Nice. I don't know if you were told, but this weapon design is a dagger according to the artist, not a sword. I think it might hurt his/her votes.

• Vash.2386Vash.2386 Member ✭✭✭

Is there voting for the winner? If so, where do you go to vote?

• Moonlit.6421Moonlit.6421 Member ✭✭✭

Question, is there anywhere we can go to learn more about the weapon? Not just how it might be implemented in game but the artists inspiration and lore behind the weapon? I'm very curious for done of these and I'd love to know more

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.