What's with the uninspired pistol skins?

Vagrant.7206

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Well it looks like a pistol made of ice, I don’t know what more you could ask for. There’s lots of nice pistol skins to use though. Quip will always be
my
fave

Quip is an eyesore joke weapon and don’t get me started on the SFX. at Least H.O.P.E is semi serious

Opinions are like arseholes.You don’t have to like Quip, or any other skin. I do though.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Well it looks like a pistol made of ice, I don’t know what more you could ask for. There’s lots of nice pistol skins to use though. Quip will always be my fave

Quip is an eyesore joke weapon and don’t get me started on the SFX. at Least H.O.P.E is semi serious

Opinions are like arseholes.

Yes they are

I'd wish arenaNet would actually stop making those super strange pistol designs. For a thief or assassin, there is only one choice for a pistol: The Darksteel pistols.The brothers of the Darksteel pistols are made from bright steel and have reflections on them, something a "personificated shadow" should avoid. Browsing through the weapon skin gallery I have to cringe on every second pistol skin: How are they even usable? I know, it's a game and all, but pistols should work and not look like a plastic NERF toy that you forgot in the car and parked said car in the sun, so it melted to a strange piece of something. This is what many of these pistols look like: Toys, melted plastic or ridonkulous sci-fi StarTrek guns from cheesy B-movies from the 60s.

I wish I could get more "uninspired" pistols again that look like pistols. Dirty, loud, smoky and deadly. Well "loud", Uh, I am asking for a suppressed pistol forever, but that won't happen anyways.

ayGdQll.png

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Well it looks like a pistol made of ice, I don’t know what more you could ask for. There’s lots of nice pistol skins to use though. Quip will always be my fave

LoL Let me guess. You're one of those guys who becomes enraged at the mention of "Jar Jar Binks"?

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Well it looks like a pistol made of ice, I don’t know what more you could ask for. There’s lots of nice pistol skins to use though. Quip will always be my fave

LoL Let me guess. You're one of those guys who becomes enraged at the mention of "Jar Jar Binks"?

Quip is a clown weapon, I don't think there is any doubt about that. It's been created for a minority that likes, let's say, making their thief look like a clown. The only reason for me to get it would be for stat swapping, but since pistol is a power-weapon for thief and not useful for condi, I never change any stats anyway. Anet thankfully gave up on clown weapons and created some that appeal more to the majority. It doesn't "enrage" anyone if you like and use Quip. I find HOPE the coolest weapon in the game and luckily, as a thief player, I can double-wield it ^^

Today I found another skin I didn't know about that looks quite cool, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Berserker%27s_Ley_Guard%27s_Revolver

Vaq4SmX.jpg

Yeah this game really needs some more realistic looking pistols not the ones that looks like gloving piece of material that would be unable to shoot in real life. I understand tho many ppls likes them and this is fantasy game but i would love to shoot some enemies with a Desert Eagle or some realistic looking revolver straight from western movies.

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Personally, I just wish they had bigger pistol models.

To me it just doesn't seem worth it to try and get fancy-schmancy pistol skins when they are usually so small that you won't ever really notice them...

Well, they are big enough to notice that our characters are wearing them in the wrong way:

wlmA5wH.png

Here's what happens when you wear your pistols that way:

@Faaris.8013 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Personally, I just wish they had bigger pistol models.

To me it just doesn't seem worth it to try and get fancy-schmancy pistol skins when they are usually so small that you won't ever really notice them...

Well, they are big enough to notice that our characters are wearing them in the wrong way:

Here's what happens when you wear your pistols that way:

The only exception to that is if you're wearing a harness.

bad-mfer.jpg

Few suggestions:

1. Stop with the "blunderbuss" style of pistol. The kind with the barrel that flanges out at the end. It makes no sense, looks awful, and there's already a ton of them.
  2. Try putting sights (iron, floating asura sights, w/e) on the guns. A few pistols in the game (IE HOPE and Aetherized pistol) have sights on them, which makes them look significantly better.
  3. Try looking at some real-world (or even imaginary) pistols for new ideas. We seem to get the same basic revolver or blunderbuss pistol all the time.
  4. For the glacial pistol... the glacial effect is nearly impossible to see because of the design. It could have had a swirling barrel, or looked something like an Obrez pistol with glacial features:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mosin-pistol.jpeg

Ideas for insipiration:

• Sawed-Off Shotgun (or sawed-off versions of rifles)
  • "That Gun" from the Bladerunner series
  • Mass Effect pistols for more fantasy
  • A variety of small real-world SMG's would look good as pistols
  • Revolvers with fancy attachments
  • Flash Gordon-style pistols
  • "Hidden" guns

Archived