How would you redesign the ranger? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Ranger

How would you redesign the ranger?

2>

Comments

  • The Boz.2038The Boz.2038 Member ✭✭✭

    Pets absolutely need to be crunched up into the five Soulbeast archetypes. Within an archetype, all pets are identical; they're just skins for you to pick, with the same stats, skills, Soulbeast boosts, etc. Also, Legendary Pets! Yay!
    I dislike how the Druid is designed about team content, and is really, truly painful to play outside it. Any redisign of it is welcome.

  • JorneMormel.9850JorneMormel.9850 Member ✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021

    Start by improving the pet mechanic. Specifically:

    F1 Attack/(Toggle)Heel
    and
    F3 Move To (Ground targeted)

    It would make pet controls more intuitive and allow the option to path pets out of harm's way, without requiring too many button presses and overcoming the fact that Guard/Avoid Combat cannot be hotkeyed, which would be a welcome QoL update if it did.

    Axe (Mostly OH #4)
    Dagger (MH lacks cleave)
    Short Bow (Lacks damage potential on flanking which is hard enough to pull off in any competitive environment, and is still outclassed in PvE.)
    Staff
    Sword

    All need love. So does Druid and I wish pets were an optional mechanic for them, too. Stowing a pet for skill effects and attribute increases would even improve core.

    And give Soulbeast the second pet back, but instead design the drawback that your pet appears with the same hitpoints as it had before when leaving Beastmode, and when you switch into Beastmode, if your pet's health % is lower than yours, lose health equal to 50% of the difference.
    Losing the second pet lowered the skill ceiling by so much, it's not even funny.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    I dislike how the Druid is designed about team content, and is really, truly painful to play outside it. Any redisign of it is welcome.

    Agreed. I think that pretty much all of the elite specs released at that time were group-oriented as Raids were to be a thing.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021

    @Lonami.2987 said:
    It's been quite a while. Going for a soft redesign this time:


    Mechanic bar redesign

    Ranger mechanic bar redesign idea.

    An image is worth a thousand words, but just in case:

    • F1: Swap Pets (formerly at F4, second pet is now displayed on screen).
    • F2: Attack My Target (formerly at F1).
    • F3: Beast skill #1 (formerly at F2).
    • F4: Return to Me (formerly at F3).
    • F5: Beast skill #2 (new skill).
    • Stow Pet / Activate Pet (no hotkey on default, can be assigned one manually).
    • Guard / Avoid Combat (no hotkey on default, can be assigned one manually).

    Changes to the pet mechanic

    Pets are the central part of the ranger's playstyle, but they have quite a few problems:

    • There's way too many pets, 55 in total. Pets are divided in 18 families, and members of the same families are almost identical.
    • Pet skins are connected to specific beast skills, and you can't choose their skins freely. There's dozen of unavailable pet skins in the game as well.
    • Pets aren't very engaging, having only one beast skill rangers can activate manually.

    And this is my take on how to solve those issues:

    • Unify beast skills and take the amount of pets down to 18, one per family. Redistribute archetypes across the new pets.
    • Transform the different pet models into cosmetic skins you can equip freely. Transform the missing NPC models into pet skins as well.
    • Make beast skills more useful, and give each pet a second beast skill.

    Elite specialization mechanics and tradeoffs

    The addition of a second beast skill changes the tradeoff situation, letting us take a new approach. This is what we have now:

    • Druid: Gain Celestial Avatar, but your pet's attributes are weaker. Transform into a Celestial Avatar to gain alternate weapon skills.
    • Soulbeast: Gain Beastmode, but you cannot swap pets in combat. Activate Beastmode to gain alternate mechanic skills.

    And this would be the new version:

    • Druid: Gain Celestial Avatar instead of Beast skill #2. Transform into a Celestial Avatar to gain alternate weapon skills and an alternate Beast skill #1.
    • Soulbeast: Gain Beastmode instead of Beast skill #2. Activate Beastmode to gain alternate mechanic skills.

    Other changes

    Few extra notes worth mentioning:

    • Activating Celestial Avatar will change your pet's appearance as well, turning it into an astral creature. Internal pet skills mechanics and attributes won't be affected by this transformation.
    • Swapping pets is now possible while Beastmode is on. Beastmode's visual effect will change its color depending on the active archetype.
    • Replace off-hand dagger with off-hand sword. Soulbeasts now gain the ability to wield daggers in both hands. Daggers will gain alternate weapon skills upon activation of Beastmode.
    • Replace shortbow with rifle. Rename the Longbow weapon type back into just Bow. Remove the Shortbow weapon type, and integrate the orphaned weapons and skins into the Bow. More on weapon type changes here.

    That's it, thanks for reading!

    Few elite specialization ideas, based on the previous mechanic bar redesign:


    New ranger elite specialization mechanic bar ideas.


    Elite specialization ideas

    • Bloodhound: Gain Pet Focus instead of Pet Swap. Both pets are deployed in combat simultaneously, pet focus letting you command one pet at a time. Beast skill #2 will be tied to the secondary pet.
    • Waywatcher: Gain Wild Flash instead of Beast skill #2, and Wild Vault instead of dodge rolling. Use Wild Flash to instantly swap positions with your pet. Wild Strike skills become available for a short time right after using Wild Flash.
    • Treesinger: Gain Hatchlings instead of Pets. Hatchlings are smaller versions of your own pets, weaker individually, but stronger in numbers.

    Not getting into other details, only the mechanics.

    @InsaneQR.7412 said:
    @Lonami.2987 nope. I stopped working on it due to IRL occupation and new project revolving arround Gw2 tabletop.

    But i really like your suggestions. Solid ideas, lots of streamlining and way easier to function with E-specs.

    Glad you liked them. I would love to do something like this for every other profession, but I don't know if I'll ever get to it lol.

    @JorneMormel.9850 said:
    Start by improving the pet mechanic. Specifically:

    F1 Attack/(Toggle)Heel
    and
    F3 Move To (Ground targeted)

    It would make pet controls more intuitive and allow the option to path pets out of harm's way, without requiring too many button presses and overcoming the fact that Guard/Avoid Combat cannot be hotkeyed, which would be a welcome QoL update if it did.

    Axe (Mostly OH #4)
    Dagger (MH lacks cleave)
    Short Bow (Lacks damage potential on flanking which is hard enough to pull off in any competitive environment, and is still outclassed in PvE.)
    Staff
    Sword

    All need love. So does Druid and I wish pets were an optional mechanic for them, too. Stowing a pet for skill effects and attribute increases would even improve core.

    And give Soulbeast the second pet back, but instead design the drawback that your pet appears with the same hitpoints as it had before when leaving Beastmode, and when you switch into Beastmode, if your pet's health % is lower than yours, lose health equal to 50% of the difference.
    Losing the second pet lowered the skill ceiling by so much, it's not even funny.

    I think the best approach is to make pets more vulnerable, but faster to swap as well. Make pet rotation faster, kinda like elementalist attunements and revenant legends.

    After all, the less time they stay around, the fewer problems the AI will give.

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    Pets absolutely need to be crunched up into the five Soulbeast archetypes. Within an archetype, all pets are identical; they're just skins for you to pick, with the same stats, skills, Soulbeast boosts, etc. Also, Legendary Pets! Yay!
    I dislike how the Druid is designed about team content, and is really, truly painful to play outside it. Any redisign of it is welcome.

    Indeed, they definitely need to update traits to make solo druid viable.

  • The Boz.2038The Boz.2038 Member ✭✭✭

    It really doesn't take much to make one trait at each level to be selfish and maybe even somewhat offensive.

  • KeyOrion.9506KeyOrion.9506 Member ✭✭✭

    How would I redesign ranger. Go Rambo with exploding tipped arrows.

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Stahp.

    Ranger doesn't need any overhauls or redesigns.

    The only thing Ranger needs fixed is removing the small damage proc off Lightning Reflexes for several reasons.