Time-gate is horrible. plz get rid of it

Why is everything in this game locked behind these time-gates? WVW tickets is a prime example where it takes 5 and 1/2 month to get legendary armor and the tickets cap at 365 a week! Just make the tickets unlimited. The Funerary Incenses are another one where i should be able to buy 250 right off the bat but instead i have to buy 18 a day and do boring hearts for 2 weeks where it isn't enjoyable at all. I feel like i want to quit the game after doing this long drawn out dribble.

Legen-dairy gear is supposed to take a while and Ascended is much cheaper. Certain classes (mesmer) benefit a lot more from multiple gear sets but they are more of an exception rather than the rule (Mesmer: Commander, minstrels, bezerkers, viper, WvW build 1, WvW build #2).

Takes 3.5-4 weeks for each wvw legendary piece. You also need time to even afford crafting it :)

PvE, the origination of legendary armor takes a long time as well to get LI and complete the quests. Around 5-6 weeks for full ascended set +1 leg piece etc.

PvP legendary armor is a bit faster.

You could to all three routes and have 3 pieces of legendary armor a month. Considering that's 600-800g as well I'd say that's not too time gated.

While I hate time-gate as a lazy way to drag out time for content...it makes sense for a non-subscription MMO. Crap like this was in EQ2 (a subscription game forever ago). I.e. you paid for time that whereby you waited for some epic/mythical quest objectives.

In this instance I can see it helping ANET to control economy for specific currencies. It's not what I'd do personally. Otherwise they just introduce new currencies to invalidate the previous one which is typical for accretion design in MMOs.

Time-gated parts are sometimes in place to safeguard players. To prevent players binge- playing for an unhealthy amount of hours, there is a limit on what can be acquired in 24 hours or 1 week etc.Also some time-gated content is created to encourage players to return more often keeping the population more-or-less stable.It may be worth noting that developers commonly make certain features because that's how they want people to play their game.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:Time-gated parts are sometimes in place to safeguard players. To prevent players binge- playing for an unhealthy amount of hours, there is a limit on what can be acquired in 24 hours or 1 week etc.

That is a completely invalid argument considering the fact that there is a thing that performs the exact same function already in game except it requires HoT instead of PoF.

Also some time-gated content is created to encourage players to return more often keeping the population more-or-less stable.

You know what else keeps people returning? ;)Content that is actually good. On the other hand lazy timegating is great at creating resentment.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:Time-gated parts are sometimes in place to safeguard players. To prevent players binge- playing for an unhealthy amount of hours, there is a limit on what can be acquired in 24 hours or 1 week etc.

That is a completely invalid argument considering the fact that there is a thing that performs the exact same function already in game except it requires HoT instead of PoF.

Also some time-gated content is created to encourage players to return more often keeping the population more-or-less stable.

You know what else keeps people returning? ;)Content that is actually good. On the other hand lazy timegating is great at creating resentment.

I agree it is a super LAZY way of doing things and it's just not the way to do things. I think it's one of the things that's killing this game.

Archived