Black Lion Statuette

Palador.2170

Okay, this thing is long overdue. Basically, it's a currency that you get one of with each BL Chest you open. You can use them to buy rare things from the BL chest contents, like the home instance nodes. (No, none of the ultra-rare stuff seems to be there.)

Some of the prices seem really high to me, but I guess that's fine. 100 statuettes for a node, or 60 for the Elemental Sword skin seems like a lot, but now I know that I WILL be able to get them if I open enough chests. That's a big improvement.

Thoughts?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This along with the elimination of luck and finisher drops... this patch brings about some serious upgrades to the BLCs. I'm excited about the rotating weapon sets in the uncommon and rare positions as well. It's still RNG, but when the prize pool is this improved, that's going to bring about some applause.

Edit: The Tyrian Exchange Voucher... map and dungeon currencies on the side... I ran 5 characters through Dry Top completion for geodes a few months ago. This is a welcome alternative means of getting these currencies.

Well done Anet!

It's a great idea. Even if you have expendable income to buy a lot of chests to try to get the rarer items, every chest you buy lets you save up for some guaranteed picks of your choice. As someone who does 'not' buy an chest (I farm my free one per week), the model also gives incentive for someone like me to buy 'some' chests, not so much to take a chance on a super nice thing as to supplement my free weekly chest with some statues to get a guaranteed item I might be interested in.

@sticx.5823 said:Lockboxes are the devil, they could just get rid of them all together.....

They could, but we know they're not going to. This is a very big step towards a compromise.

There's still stuff you can't buy with the statuettes, such as the permanent contracts, but the price they'd have to put on them would be insane anyway. This is a good step.

@Fenom.9457 said:Very very happy, except I bought 75 keys two weeks ago. Is that too long or might they award me some of these?

Likely too long, but I guess you can always ask.

The idea was admirable, but the costs are ridiculously outrageous. Adding insult to injury, these take up a guaranteed slot and the mini takes up a guaranteed slot, so you only get two rolls at something on the actual random loot table.

When judging the costs, remember that a key costs roughly $1.00 a piece , depending on how you buy them. $100 dollars worth of chests to purchase a harvesting node? Gimme a break.

We should get 1-10 black lion statues with each chest, weighted to average ~3.5 per chest. None of the prices for black lion statue vendors should go up, but some, even with the increase in statues per chest, still would need to be adjusted downward a bit. The minis should just be commons on the loot table, not a guaranteed item. We should get three rolls on the current loot tables per key.

Better yet, get rid of guaranteed items altogether. Put the black lion statues on the loot table as common, with a variable number awarded adjusted so that the average you get per chest still ~3.5, but we actually get 4 complete rolls on the loot table per key.

There is a lot of debate and backlash against random loot boxes in games right now. Most players who are willing to accept them at all consider Overwatch to be an acceptable standard to judge against. Any more greedy than Overwatch and the publisher deserves backlash. The suggestions above are a baseline on how black lion chests may be brought more in line with Overwatch standards.

The funny thing is, when these things are made more fair and more rewarding for players, the publishers make a lot more money because the participation rate in loot box purchases increases exponentially, as does the average purchase amount per player per month.

If Arenanet had announced a fair system today, I would have been all in, wallet open. However, they just can't let go of the short-sighted, obscene levels of greed and have managed to set black lion statues prices at a point that shows they just are oblivious to the current realities surrounding random loot boxes as part of the business model for online games.

Come on guys, you can be more successful and make players a lot more happy if you'll just stop looking for ways to put the screws to anyone who decides to support your game via random box purchases.

@Daddicus.6128 said:Cool!

Now all we need is a sale on keys, and I'll be able to spend some money from my new job. :)

Congrats on the new job!I'm just waiting for my monthy rent payment due before I load up on gem store goodies.

Though, sigh, I'm going to miss out on the huge price spike of UnID dye. Stupid work interfering with fake-gold making.

@Fiontar.4695 said:The idea was admirable, but the costs are ridiculously outrageous. Adding insult to injury, these take up a guaranteed slot and the mini takes up a guaranteed slot, so you only get two rolls at something on the actual random loot table.

Not true, you can get up to 5 items now.

@Fiontar.4695 said:The funny thing is, when these things are made more fair and more rewarding for players, the publishers make a lot more money because the participation rate in loot box purchases increases exponentially, as does the average purchase amount per player per month.Compared to what it was before, it IS more fair right now. And guaranteed wardrobe unlocks were an addition licked by many, many people.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Fiontar.4695 said:The idea was admirable, but the costs are ridiculously outrageous. Adding insult to injury, these take up a guaranteed slot and the mini takes up a guaranteed slot, so you only get two rolls at something on the actual random loot table.

I opened my freebee. Statue takes a slot, mini takes a slot, only two slots for rolls on the loot table. Explain how you get five.

@Fiontar.4695 said:

I opened my freebee. Statue takes a slot, mini takes a slot, only two slots for rolls on the loot table. Explain how you get five.You get five the same way you've been getting four for a while now.

You have a chance at getting an uncommon extra item. You had 2 slots from roll and one chance for uncommon.2 guaranteed + 2 rolls + 1 chance for extra uncommon roll

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

I opened my freebee. Statue takes a slot, mini takes a slot, only two slots for rolls on the loot table. Explain how you get five.You get five the same way you've been getting four for a while now.

You have a chance at getting an uncommon extra item. You had 2 slots from roll and one chance for uncommon.2 guaranteed + 2 rolls + 1 chance for extra uncommon roll

Actually, these are worse than I realized. Thank you for making me read the fine print.

Each chest offers a guaranteed black lion statue, a guaranteed mini jackal, two random commons and a (slim) chance at a single role on the loot table for items of greater rarity than common! This is horrible!

So let's see, the gold standard is Overwatch loot boxes. You get four full rolls at the full loot table and, yes, you can get very luck and end up with four rares or super rares from a single chest. On the loot table is random currency awards that let you buy any item from the loot table directly. In my experience, you can typically buy a rare of your choice for every ~ $30-$40 spent. On top of a fair loot table and the rewards you get from your actual rolls.

Then we have BLCs, that are probably among the least fair in any western game. They can do much better and make more money by being more fair and reasonable with their customers.

@Fiontar.4695 said:

Actually, these are worse than I realized. Thank you for making me read the fine print.

Each chest offers a guaranteed black lion statue, a guaranteed mini jackal, two random commons and a (slim) chance at a single role on the loot table for items of greater rarity than common! This is horrible!

So let's see, the gold standard is Overwatch loot boxes. You get four full rolls at the full loot table and, yes, you can get very luck and end up with four rares or super rares from a single chest. On the loot table is random currency awards that let you buy any item from the loot table directly. In my experience, you can typically buy a rare of your choice for every ~ $30-$40 spent. On top of a fair loot table and the rewards you get from your actual rolls.

Then we have BLCs, that are probably among the least fair in any western game. They can do much better and make more money by being more fair and reasonable with their customers.

I'm still not sure how that's worse than before. You get the same system + 1 extra statuette. These statuettes will let you buy pretty much anything you want (except super rare, permanent contracts)/Not taking into account the number of rolls, it's pretty similar to Overwatch now (give the description you gave to it).

Before they were throwing at you useless bank express, merchant etc that are absolutely useless if you got the permanent contract. To this day I still have STACKS of bank expresses that I cant use, can't trade, can't even gift to friends. And only reason Im keeping them is in hope they let us trade a few stacks against a permanent someday.

Compared to that, I see the recent changes as improvement, I dont know how it compares to Overwatch though.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

I'm still not sure how that's worse than before. You get the same system + 1 extra statuette. These statuettes will let you buy pretty much anything you want (except super rare, permanent contracts)/Not taking into account the number of rolls, it's pretty similar to Overwatch now (give the description you gave to it).

Before they were throwing at you useless bank express, merchant etc that are absolutely useless if you got the permanent contract. To this day I still have STACKS of bank expresses that I cant use, can't trade, can't even gift to friends. And only reason Im keeping them is in hope they let us trade a few stacks against a permanent someday.

Compared to that, I see the recent changes as improvement, I dont know how it compares to Overwatch though.

To be anything like Overwatch, we'd have four full rolls on the full loot table. And, average enough black lion statues to buy a rare of our choice for every ~25 BLCs we open. (Not to mention that Overwatch gives you a free box each time you level, with the time commitment to level not too much more than a level 80 filling one level of the mastery bar in GW2).

@Fiontar.4695 said:

To be anything like Overwatch, we'd have four full rolls on the full loot table. And, average enough black lion statues to buy a rare of our choice for every ~25 BLCs we open.

Sorry never played this stupid game. Why should overwatch be an example for GW2?

Archived