Idea on how to Upgrade Fashion wars.

STIHL.2489

All to often we hear this game being called "Fashion Wars 2" and as it stands, there is a lot to do as far as image goes, but what if there was more. Like many games, we kinda get locked to one image, or one set up, or one "look" as it were, and then we just sit there. Some of us change our looks by season, or maybe when a new outfit comes out,

But what if, you could set up several looks, for various environments, what if you could set those looks so you did not need to change anything manually?

My idea is to have an Automatic Gear Swap system.

It would default to "Generic" which would be what you would wear all the time, unless you set otherwise. So, if you had a single look you wanted, you could keep it.

But in the drop down, you could also select other environments, and then change whatever you wanted, including your mini, mount (an mount skin), etc.. of course some features might not be available.. like changing your mail carrier or actual gear (or maybe they could be available, and you could change all these things if you wanted, why not!)

The Environments would be:

• Shiverpeaks
  • Holbrack
  • Krytra
  • Divinity Reach
  • Ascalon
  • Black Cidel
  • Maguuma Jungle
  • The Grove
  • Rata Sum
  • Maguuma Wastes
  • Fractals of the Mist
  • Raids
  • Dungeons
  • World vs World
  • PvP
  • Heart of Maguuma (HoT) - Need to have the Expansion to have this Option
  • Crystal Deseret (PoF) - Need to have the Expansion to have this Option

With the store option to buy additional choices, like if you wanted to buy just Frostgorge Sound, or Just Citadel of Flame, or just House of Chains. You could, but, not get bogged down with options if you just wanted to change your look and gear for a few select situations.

OFTXJjP.jpg

fear my epic MSpaint skills

Additional Note: Everything would be set to your Default, so, your gear and anything you did not directly change, would be whatever you set as default, and like normal, Outfit Look would trump gear look.

Yes it would cost a Transumation charge to change your look, not matter what the environment was, just like it costs a charge now.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always used a mod that does something similar in Skyrim and I would love this for GW2. Automatically switching to a winter-gear looking armor when in the shiverpeaks, light clothing when in the desert, green / planty clothes when in the jungle and a more civilian look when in major cities would be awesome.

The main problem I see with this is that currently skins are bound to armor. Every piece of armor has exactly 1 skin and I can't see this changing anytime soon. A solution to this problem would be the often suggested customizable outfit where you can save your current mix of skins and colors as an outfit. It's important to save the colors too, so different cos can be dyed individually.

Then you would get 5 (or more) slots that you could assign outfits and conditions to. These outfits would automatically be equipped when the condition is met. Something like "Entering Shiverpeaks" equips outfit 3, which you've assigned to be a winter outfit previously.

Guild Wars had a limited system vaguely similar to this. You could set certain gear slots to show up only in combat zones/towns/etc, for example. Your idea would be pretty cool for this game. I can't see anything of that magnitude happening, though, without some sort of overhaul or unless they make you use trans charges every swap or something, at which point the system would be rendered pointless.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:I've always used a mod that does something similar in Skyrim and I would love this for GW2. Automatically switching to a winter-gear looking armor when in the shiverpeaks, light clothing when in the desert, green / planty clothes when in the jungle and a more civilian look when in major cities would be awesome.

The main problem I see with this is that currently skins are bound to armor. Every piece of armor has exactly 1 skin and I can't see this changing anytime soon. A solution to this problem would be the often suggested customizable outfit where you can save your current mix of skins and colors as an outfit. It's important to save the colors too, so different cos can be dyed individually.

Then you would get 5 (or more) slots that you could assign outfits and conditions to. These outfits would automatically be equipped when the condition is met. Something like "Entering Shiverpeaks" equips outfit 3, which you've assigned to be a winter outfit previously.

I am not a programmer, so I have no idea the way the system is set up, but I remember hearing that at one time in sPvP your cosmetics would change when your armor didn't, and a lot of people fussed about it, as they could not keep their PvE look in PvE and could not keep their PvP look in PvE.

My idea makes it so that you can keep whatever look you want, where ever you want. I am not going to discuss logistics of the idea, since.. I am not a Dev. I just like this idea as the idea it is.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:I will only support this if I can save anything in that set, Medium for Shiverpeak, Heavy for Kryta, Light for Elona. etc etc etc.

As I recall. I think armor weight is bound to class, so I have no idea how they would do this. But.. you can hope, and I won't stop you.

It would be considered an "outfit" in this case as it won't be bound by what you have and what you have selected.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I will only support this if I can save anything in that set, Medium for Shiverpeak, Heavy for Kryta, Light for Elona. etc etc etc.

As I recall. I think armor weight is bound to class, so I have no idea how they would do this. But.. you can hope, and I won't stop you.

It would be considered an "outfit" in this case as it won't be bound by what you have and what you have selected.

If you look, the idea is set up so you can also change your actual gear as well with this idea, in case, say you wanted one gear set up for Dungeons, another for Raids, and something else for Open World.

While it would be totally optional, so you would not have to do it, it would be there in case you wanted to.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Oh Grenth, nevermind. Don't want this.

Well the good news is.. nothing would change for you if this was put in, you could keep playing and setting things up as you always have, with absolutely no change in your game at all. That is the best part of this idea, it's totally optional for those that want to enjoy it, and completely invasive for those that don't.

@Astra Lux.2846 said:Guild Wars had a limited system vaguely similar to this. You could set certain gear slots to show up only in combat zones/towns/etc, for example. Your idea would be pretty cool for this game. I can't see anything of that magnitude happening, though, without some sort of overhaul or unless they make you use trans charges every swap or something, at which point the system would be rendered pointless.

Yes it would be a massive QoL upgrade to the game, but think of how much fun people would have with this.

I would definitely like to set several custom looks. Whether they automatically change or not I don't mind too much, though could be cool. The reason I say custom looks in general, I feel like the environments you picked are going to be very arbitrary, and a system that would just save several looks that would activate on player set situations could provide much more flexible for the player, and probably less saving data intensive for Arenanet (where I'm just speculating that might be a thing)

So you would just have 5 or 10 or idontknowhowmany "looks" and have many different environments that you can pick from, from specific zone, to guildhall, region, PvP or whatever. (For example, I could have a look for Core Tyria, Jungle, Desert, Cities and PvP, or specifically for maguuma jungle+HoT, shiverpeaks, desert+drytop/silverwastes.) Depending whether you select a region to use that outfit.

Sounds like alot of work though.

Why environments? Who's to say someone doesn't want to just have multiple looks for one "environment"? Or what if they want multiple looks for a different reason than environment? And how many environments are there even?

There's no need to complicate things by dividing maps by environments and making auto-swap armor set-ups and whatnot. Just make "costume slots", make it so you swap with a press of the button. Tada! Now you have multiple looks for multiple purposes, including environment, that doesn't require complex automatic clothes changing golems to magically pull your clothes off and put something else on you.

You gotta think several steps ahead with ideas like this. I'm sure other people thought of this idea before but other reasons than environment friendly costumes so instead of shoehorning each idea separately, make the idea more universal, simpler and controllable.

@"Leo G.4501" said:Why environments? Who's to say someone doesn't want to just have multiple looks for one "environment"? Or what if they want multiple looks for a different reason than environment? And how many environments are there even?

There's no need to complicate things by dividing maps by environments and making auto-swap armor set-ups and whatnot. Just make "costume slots", make it so you swap with a press of the button. Tada! Now you have multiple looks for multiple purposes, including environment, that doesn't require complex automatic clothes changing golems to magically pull your clothes off and put something else on you.

You gotta think several steps ahead with ideas like this. I'm sure other people thought of this idea before but other reasons than environment friendly costumes so instead of shoehorning each idea separately, make the idea more universal, simpler and controllable.

So your idea is a single button to swap outfits, which sounds exactly like the Outfit Panel, that already exists that allows you swap your outfits with a single button press.

Thanks, but if I wanted to do things manually every time I zoned, or just randomly, that feature is already there.

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I would definitely like to set several custom looks. Whether they automatically change or not I don't mind too much, though could be cool. The reason I say custom looks in general, I feel like the environments you picked are going to be very arbitrary, and a system that would just save several looks that would activate on player set situations could provide much more flexible for the player, and probably less saving data intensive for Arenanet (where I'm just speculating that might be a thing)

I am using Anets already established environments, there is nothing arbitrary about my selection. Since they set them up like that, I figured using their divisions was better then trying to reinvent the wheel.

So you would just have 5 or 10 or idontknowhowmany "looks" and have many different environments that you can pick from, from specific zone, to guildhall, region, PvP or whatever. (For example, I could have a look for Core Tyria, Jungle, Desert, Cities and PvP, or specifically for maguuma jungle+HoT, shiverpeaks, desert+drytop/silverwastes.) Depending whether you select a region to use that outfit.

Sounds like alot of work though.

In the end, you would still end up setting them to trigger by environment or zone, so it's better to build from that angle to start with.

@witcher.3197 said:Cool idea, but not worth the dev effort. Probably less than 1% of the population would use this and get bored of it in a week.

If this was a game like WoW, or maybe some other typical MMO where the grind was all about a bigger stat number, you might be right. But this is GW2 ,AKA: Fashion Wars 2, where a massive bulk of the game is purely about the acclamation of cosmetic items. GW2's game is set up entirely about going after cosmetics. Couple that with the fact that and the bulk of the games funds comes from cosmetics sold from the store. In a game like GW2, I would bet that hardly anyone would NOT use this feature if it was put in. It would be inverse, where less then 1% would not have some kind of gear swap set up.

And since my system allows for actual equipment swaps, even the meta gamers would use it, to set up optimal builds for WvW, Open World, Fractals, Dungeons, Raids, etc.

Archived