Reminder: Unlock Episode 6!

Gaile Gray.6029

• ArenaNet Staff

This week is your last chance to unlock Living World Season 3 Episode 6 for free. Log in with any character on your account before the launch of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire and you will have the final episode of Season 3 available to play on your account at any time. After the release of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, you will be able to purchase Season 3 of Living World at a cost of 200 Gems per episode.

Living World Season 3 is available to those who own Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, but even if you don’t own HoT now, you still can unlock the episode and play it in the future, if you purchase the first expansion pack.

@Smite.3087 said:Why exactly is it that living story is free, but then when a new one comes the old one is gated behind gems for newer players that didn't unlock it? Why isn't it always free?

Not a complaint just generally wondering

I consider it a reward for logging on during that time (and so supporting the game). And remember that those gems can always be bought with gold.

@Smite.3087 said:Why exactly is it that living story is free, but then when a new one comes the old one is gated behind gems for newer players that didn't unlock it? Why isn't it always free?

Not a complaint just generally wondering

As a complement of the above answer, my own personal experience was leaving the game for two years then coming after LS1 and LS2 came to pass (I returned during the content drought lol! No regrets, Anet made my vote of confidence worth it). Sadly, LS1 was no longer available, but I farmed my way into buying all of LS2 with gold->gem conversion, and it was pretty worth it really. LS3 even has the bonus that it unlocks new maps with very cool rewards, and such maps will more or less have a nice influx of players for at least a while due to legendary accessory achievements, so it is more than worth it to buy with gold2gems at TP, even if you come late to the party.

Also I don't recall if they posted the exact reason anywhere, but it goes along their general philosophy that the game lives and dies by the community: by having most players log on at the same time, you can make the most out of dynamic events and other things, as well as make the world really seem to be "living" in a literal sense, since you'll be packed inside a map with dozens, if not hundreds of other players. I assume for the long term that they do have plans (like they changed champion mobs to vets @HoT maps, etc.), but there is a definite investment on the immediate buzz of releasing new content.

maxwelgm.4315

As a complement of the above answer, my own personal experience was leaving the game for two years then coming after LS1 and LS2 came to pass (I returned during the content drought lol! No regrets, Anet made my vote of confidence worth it). Sadly, LS1 was no longer available.

LS1 was never meant to be repeatable it was meant to be more like real life. To be honest it was cool crazy and somewhat fun, but it was on just about every map. You only had so much time to play it, and could never get it all done. The could bring back some of the boss fights, but to try to make it repeatable it would not be the same. Anet had an idea and wanted to try it, they did and it upset some people in the process. I am glad they try new things and are not afraid to fail to make GW2 better. Instead of conforming to what an MMO should be by other games standards.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Question: Do I have to play it for it to count? As a returning player I've not quite caught up yet.

When you "get credit," you'll see a green Story Journal star pop up in your face prompting you to begin the story. If you see that, you've got it.

If you aren't sure if you unlocked it earlier or not, hit H, go to your Story Journal, and confirm that One Path Ends appears under Living World Season 3.

Archived