Please add new garden mats to material storage in bank.

• 3 weeks later...

This does seem to be one of those two development members not getting together before hand and implementing together. +1 here these should be added into collections, its not much space but still after all the hard work that was put in by the team to expand the collections details like this go a long way. Plus from a marketing stand point, players might see it and say, hey whats that which could lead to more store sales. So its beneficial from a number of sides.

@Wizler.8192 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:This does seem to be one of those two development members not getting together before hand and implementing together.

One dev was down in Cantha, another was in Kryta and a third was up north... it's no wonder hey had communication problems!

I feel bad for the one in Orr, they are always buried.

Sorry had to do it.

• 5 months later...

@Rumil.1630 said:So it's been for over a half year now, and i do wonder, might we get a statement from someone IF this is planned or just forgotten?^^ So its a little Thumbs Up, so the devs might see this again :D

The devs have been pretty clear that stuff that has only one use won't get one of the limited number of available material storage slots. Not everything that is like a material is going to get a slot.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Rumil.1630 said:So it's been for over a half year now, and i do wonder, might we get a statement from someone IF this is planned or just forgotten?^^ So its a little Thumbs Up, so the devs might see this again :D

The devs have been pretty clear that stuff that has only one use won't get one of the
limited
number of available material storage slots. Not everything that is like a material is going to get a slot.

They said that about a lot of things, but then eventually add it for just about anything that gets stocked piled over time..... which IS what the Mat storage is for. If that weren't the intention, then Primer mats shouldn't have had required 8 of a material pair on a time gate that would need a minimum of 2 days (in any crop combination) to produce on item. Its hard to see this an as oversight, as its too perfect a reminder that you can't even use these plants without access to the recipe..... which you need to own the garden to unlock. I know, because I've been stuck in this loop for months waiting to see if the garden goes back into the Gem Store.

tl;dr yes, it would be more convenient for people if the recipes didn't require 8 of each mat, so one could produce primers without a one day wait. Yes, the current set up is annoying. But that's moot, because the material storage still can't be used for everything that ought to be there. There's a limited number of slots for the entire life of the game. Adding something to alleviate a 2-slot problem for a limited number of people seems unlikely.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Rumil.1630" said:So it's been for over a half year now, and i do wonder, might we get a statement from someone IF this is planned or just forgotten?^^ So its a little Thumbs Up, so the devs might see this again :D

The devs have been pretty clear that stuff that has only one use won't get one of the
limited
number of available material storage slots. Not everything that is like a material is going to get a slot.

They said that about a lot of things, but then eventually add it for just about anything that gets stocked piled over time..... which IS what the Mat storage is for.

They said it both before
and
after they added those things. And the criteria were more than just "stockpiled over time." Yes, that's what mat storage is for, but the space has a fixed limit (due to time-saving coding used before launch. Once added, items cannot be removed (only hidden).

If that weren't the intention, then Primer mats shouldn't have had required 8 of a material pair on a time gate that would need a minimum of 2 days (in any crop combination) to produce on item.

Its hard to see this an as oversight, as its too perfect a reminder that you can't even use these plants without access to the recipe..... which you need to own the garden to unlock. I know, because I've been stuck in this loop for months waiting to see if the garden goes back into the Gem Store.Left up to me, I wouldn't have made the recipe as complicated. It's also expensive enough that it's only cost-efficient if the food/util being extended themselves cost around a gold to make. That makes it a niche item.

Plus, as you point out, an obvious (although expensive) work-around is to buy a second garden plot, which eliminates the one day wait to use the mats (or at least, makes it easy to avoid).

But that's all moot: the storage space is, it turns out, a complicated beast and has to be fed just the right assortment of mats, or it breaks down.

According to veteran developer Linsey Murdock, there are limits to what can be added to material storage. That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

It very much has to do with space not clutter (although that did factor in a small way, pre-search bar).

We are technically limited in how much we can put in there, so I try to stay pretty conservative in what I will consider eligible. My general rule of thumb is that the item must be used in crafting recipes, not be a component (something made of multiple other things, though refining is an exception), and it not be a niche item or have a very narrow use (like doubloons).

There are a couple of factors that have led there to be items in material storage that don't follow these guidelines, such as, but not limited to:

• People that aren't ME and who were not trained on our standards BY ME have added items to material storage that shipped before I found out about it.
  • Once an item has been added to material storage, it cannot be removed EVER. Like, for reals, EVER, unless you want to delete players items on Live. Which is why Xunlai > Electrum continues to linger at the moment. I was TOLD that we would be doing the rest of the disciplines to 500 fast enough to make adding XE to storage for initial launch worth it (adding it at launch before it was used meant that I could organize it with the rest in a more sensible way since we can't reorder storage either).

Players have, in the past, lobbied us to add items to storage and we agreed with the argument enough to add it. So if you guys want to make a strong case for any specific material, I'm willing to listen and explain if the answer is no. You might not like my reason, but at least I'll have one.

text is verbatim; I added the bullets and some white space for legibility

Archived