Thanks for removing the downvote option.

Zaraki.5784

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nox Lucis.8341 said:I did notice that many whole treads would get bombs where every comment was given a downvote all at once, suggesting that one person was going through indiscriminately downvoting everything. In light of this it seems certain that there was some improper use of the feature going on.

Well, the best way to prevent a bad behavior is making it impossible.

I've found that some people even purposely engage in such behaviors to force changes to prevent them because it happened them once and for them once is once too many. It is indeed a strange conduct, almost as strange as how often it works.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm a bit disappointed to see it go too, I found it quite interesting to check which of my posts people disagreed with and try to work out why.

But I can understand the decision, overall it probably caused more problems than it solved.

I think this was the big problem ... you get lots of down votes ... you don't get much discussion of why people down voted ...

I would rather see a system where you EARN the ability to down vote ONLY if you reply with a reasonable post. Of course, the moderation requirement on that is huge.

It was a good choice. Based on what I saw many of the downvotes were difficult to understand. Even statements that didn't really have content to disagree with or dislike were downvoted. And often you would see up votes with the down votes.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. If you disagree with someone make a post and say why.

Great, "now you cannot show that you disagree with me, instead you can only agree!" do me a favour and remove the thumb up option, please. I really really dislike the people who don't possess the mental fortitude required to accept that some people just wont agree with them. Do your job Darwinism, PLEASE.

@Rauderi.8706 said:I'm a little sad to see it go, if only because it's a symptom of "we can't have nice things". :neutral:In spite of its potential for abuse, it was also a potential tool to gauge consensus. But I guess that's what polls are for! More polls! :)

I agree with you on this fully !! it is now noting more than a one lop sides of the coin if you will . and I was ok if some one down voted me for what ever their reason was that is their choice . as well as my choice to do the same . even tho I did not know whom down voted me. . which I was ok with that too as well as they did not know why or whom down voted them as well too . giving both sides of the coin its balance . funny thing is tho no one might have noticed yet is they can still run over to the reddit forums and do the very same thing with the down votes their and noting at all happens to them or any thing. and the devs and so forth talk a whole lot more on the reddit forums than they do their new official forums .

even tho I will say it was very nice on that one topic to see and read the devs posts . that for me in its self was so very much moving for me . I fell on the floor in shock and had to get a drink and cigar to mark the event even . B)

I doubt anyone has genuinely forgotten but I'm going to say it anyway: the reaction buttons are not the only way to react to a post. Removing the thumbs down doesn't prevent you from disagreeing with someone, or even prevent you from expressing that disagreement. It just means you're back to having to type actual words to do so.

On the plus side this means you can tell them exactly what you disagree with and why, which makes it much harder for them to dismiss it as 'someone was spamming the down vote option for no reason'.

That is lame. The down vote was a good option to shoot down silly, wrong and/or false posts. It was also good to down vote devs bad posts/ideas. The new mats not being bank deposit-able post was down voted close to 100 times, and rightfully so. It seems this function was removed primarily for that reason versus anything else..

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@VaaCrow.3076 said:Great, "now you cannot show that you disagree with me, instead you can only agree!" do me a favour and remove the thumb up option, please. I really really dislike the people who don't possess the mental fortitude required to accept that some people just wont agree with them. Do your job Darwinism, PLEASE.

You realize of course that not clicking thumbs up is not "only agree" but rather a very neutral "I neither disagree nor agree"-option, right?

I think they for got about that part . and I think it could maybe be even agued the very same thing for the helpful vote too . having only one side of a coin is never a good thing . even more so when they go to reddit and do the very same thing their and noting happens to them their at all even

@Helbjorne.9368 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Helbjorne.9368 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@VaaCrow.3076 said:Great, "now you cannot show that you disagree with me, instead you can only agree!"

Nobody is forcing you to thumbs up every single post. If you simply don't click anything you neither agree nor disagree.

But now we can't show our disagreement without having to type, hence why removing the option just creates a circle jerk of false positivity.

maybe we could start new circle jerk of helpful positivity even :o ;) B) <3

I gave you a helpful to show my dislike of your statement.

let the records show I thank you for that and in kind re turn the favor and hope you have a very good day and enjoy the nice warm sun too thank you B) ;) :) <3 :3

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Helbjorne.9368 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@otto.5684 said:That is lame. The down vote was a good option to shoot down silly, wrong and/or false posts. It was also good to down vote devs bad posts/ideas. The new mats not being bank deposit-able post was down voted close to 100 times, and rightfully so. It seems this function was removed primarily for that reason versus anything else..

Then be a (wo)man and actually voice your disagreement like a grown-up rather than anonymously and snidely hitting that thumbs down button.

Face it, it was a bad feature that contributed mostly negative vibes in the community.

Oh yes, because 10 pages of telling the devs that something is a terrible idea is so much more productive than giving it a Thumbs Down. They don't give a quaggan either way.

Well if that is what you think, then there's no reason for you to be missing the thumbs down-option at all, surely.

I don't see what the problem is, honestly.

Because it acts as an informal poll on whether or not the community agrees or disagrees with a post. By removing it and only allowing us to give Thumbs Up we create this facade of "Everyone likes everything, because that's their only choice." It's equally unhealthy for the community as all it does is promote false positivity. If I think someone said something stupid, is it really more appropriate for me to call them a kitten than to give their post a Thumbs Down? Some posts simply do not warrant the time it would take to point out all the flaws with them, so the Thumbs Down allowed us to show our disapproval without having to publicly ridicule anyone.

@Helbjorne.9368 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Helbjorne.9368 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@otto.5684 said:That is lame. The down vote was a good option to shoot down silly, wrong and/or false posts. It was also good to down vote devs bad posts/ideas. The new mats not being bank deposit-able post was down voted close to 100 times, and rightfully so. It seems this function was removed primarily for that reason versus anything else..

Then be a (wo)man and actually voice your disagreement like a grown-up rather than anonymously and snidely hitting that thumbs down button.

Face it, it was a bad feature that contributed mostly negative vibes in the community.

Oh yes, because 10 pages of telling the devs that something is a terrible idea is so much more productive than giving it a Thumbs Down. They don't give a quaggan either way.

Well if that is what you think, then there's no reason for you to be missing the thumbs down-option at all, surely.

I don't see what the problem is, honestly.

Because it acts as an informal poll on whether or not the community agrees or disagrees with a post. By removing it and only allowing us to give Thumbs Up we create this facade of "Everyone likes everything, because that's their only choice." It's equally unhealthy for the community as all it does is promote false positivity. If I think someone said something stupid, is it really more appropriate for me to call them a kitten than to give their post a Thumbs Down? Some posts simply do not warrant the time it would take to point out all the flaws with them, so the Thumbs Down allowed us to show our disapproval without having to publicly ridicule anyone.

You admitted previously that you don't think the devs care about thumbs down nor actual feedback so, again, I don't see why you're having an issue with this. Put bluntly, if you don't think they give a kitten about your protest to begin with why are you so against them removing your thumbs down option? Because the sense of being a rebel slamming on that button gave you, or what?

Look, you are half-right - the devs don't give a crap about thumbs down because it isn't valid criticism. Written feedback, however is. There hasn't been a developer in the history of gaming who hasn't taken feedback from their players into account - especially one of the quasi-F2P model GW2 uses because the game literally lives and dies by how much their players enjoy playing it. It is in Anet's best interest to please you as best as they can.

Archived