Leveling up

Doari.9104

Hey everyone. I am new to the game and currently leveling my 53 warrior. As of now i haven't really been doing much else besides story, map completetion, a few dungeons and crafting. Is there anything else i should pick up on my way to 80 that would be beneficial for me there, or just stick at map completetion and stuff like that?.

Cheers.

Everything you do in the game gives you exp so you have a lot of choices, you can just walk from point A to point B and you will get a bounch of exp either due to exploration or to some event that came across your way, that said I would stick to map completion and story, it will be more than enough to get you to lvl80, you can also jump into PvP (if that's your kind of thing) at any moment you wish since everyone is equal in there and your character's lvl doesn't matter, PvP can be very rewarding too both in terms of gold and in levels so it's definetely worth checking out.

You can do dungeons that are capped at or below your level, which is good experience.

Start you're own lfg, sadly many vetetans will kick an <80 from dungeons.

There's nothing you need to do, before you reach lv80. Just have fun.

I would suggest gathering and harvesting every node you come across, tho :).

Also remember to equip better gear as it drop from mobs, don't worry too much about stats until later.

Make sure you do map completion on all of the cities - Lion's Arch, Divinity's Reach, Hoelbrek, Black Citadel, Rata Sum, and The Grove. Map completing those is generally 5-7 levels worth of experience. Also, kill everything - even the mobs that have white and yellow names - not just the red hostile ones.

Lastly...be aware that the core Tyria maps are much easier than PoF and Season 4 (so far), which are easier than HoT and Season 3 maps. Learn what your CC's are and when you use them. You can ignore them in core Tyria, but they are nigh mandatory in HoT and Season 3, and make life in PoF and Season 4 quite a bit easier too. My brother was having quite a bit of problem in PoF as a level 80 Berserker. I finally convinced him to make a couple changes to his build and swap out a signet for Bulls Charge and he was able to take down stuff that had been just wrecking him. Once he figured out the advantage of using his CC's to take down a defiance bar and then start his DPS rotation, stuff just started melting for him.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Make sure you do map completion on all of the cities - Lion's Arch, Divinity's Reach, Hoelbrek, Black Citadel, Rata Sum, and The Grove. Map completing those is generally 5-7 levels worth of experience. Also, kill everything - even the mobs that have white and yellow names - not just the red hostile ones.

I wouldn't suggest either of these things. The time required vs the payoff is not worth it. Killing random mobs will level you MUCH more slowly than participating in events, collecting map points or crafting.

What I'd suggest is collecting all the available hero points along the way, so that by the time you hit lvl 80 you already have about 1/3 of the points needed to complete your next specialization. A lot of people complain about the time needed to gather HPs for that, so this will minimize the extra work at that time.

The only other suggestion I'd make is not to spend any non-gold currencies because you'll wish you had them back at max level.

@Biff.5312 said:

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Make sure you do map completion on all of the cities - Lion's Arch, Divinity's Reach, Hoelbrek, Black Citadel, Rata Sum, and The Grove. Map completing those is generally 5-7 levels worth of experience. Also, kill everything - even the mobs that have white and yellow names - not just the red hostile ones.

I wouldn't suggest either of these things. The time required vs the payoff is not worth it. Killing random mobs will level you MUCH more slowly than participating in events, collecting map points or crafting.

What I'd suggest is collecting all the available hero points along the way, so that by the time you hit lvl 80 you already have about 1/3 of the points needed to complete your next specialization. A lot of people complain about the time needed to gather HPs for that, so this will minimize the extra work at that time.

The only other suggestion I'd make is not to spend any non-gold currencies because you'll wish you had them back at max level.

Somewhere I read that the longer a mob exists in the open world, the higher amount of bonus experience you can get for killing it. Don't remember if it was here on the forums, or on the wiki, but it was one of the two.

It's true that mobs give more XP the longer they've been left alive on the map, but it's not a massive amount. It never gets to the point where running around a map doing nothing but killing random enemies is worthwhile (unlike a lot of MMOs where it's one of the fastest ways to level up), but it does mean they're worth fighting as you go along. In particular the yellow named creatures often give quite a bit of XP because they don't get killed as often, so if you're able to kill them quickly while passing (or while fighting something else) it can be helpful.

It's also a good alternative to crafting for getting the Survivor title. Pick a map and go around the quieter areas picking off yellow named enemies until the title unlocks.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

Somewhere I read that the longer a mob exists in the open world, the higher amount of bonus experience you can get for killing it. Don't remember if it was here on the forums, or on the wiki, but it was one of the two.

Yup this is true. Mobs actually blow events and any other form of leveling completely out of the water in terms of time vs experience. It's not even close. The only thing it's something you need to enjoy. I wouldn't recommend it for someone leveling their first or second character, but I maxed my masteries shortly after HoT came out by just relaxing after work killing random mobs. A single enemy killed can give you several thousand experience using boosters.

@Doari.9104 said:Hey everyone. I am new to the game and currently leveling my 53 warrior. As of now i haven't really been doing much else besides story, map completetion, a few dungeons and crafting. Is there anything else i should pick up on my way to 80 that would be beneficial for me there, or just stick at map completetion and stuff like that?.

Cheers.

I would recommend finish the story, just by finishing the story and doing map completion you will get to level 80 easy. You could also try unranked PvP. You can get alot of tomes of knowledge which gives you one level instantly pretty easily through the pvp reward tracks. But I would say just enjoy the story and just play you will get to level 80 fast. And after level 80 is where fun starts. The hunt for ascended and legendary gear and the coolest fashion in all of Tyria :D

@Dagger.2035 said:Besides earning experience try to save your gold by only using masterwork (green) or lower gear while under 80. You level up so quick its best to save your gold until you reach 80. I regretted spending so much money on the trade post when I leveled my first character.

Alternatively don't buy any gear at all. Levelling rewards give you some and story rewards give some too. Between those two and drops I very rarely find myself needing to buy new equipment while levelling a character. Very occasionally I'll notice a piece is about 7 levels below the character's level and upgrade it, but most of the time I'll get something better before I think about buying it.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

It's been ages since I last checked but that bonus caps out at 250% so killing one is the same as killing 3 and a half. It's a nice bonus but it also takes quite a while to accumulate.

@"Doari.9104" said:Hey everyone. I am new to the game and currently leveling my 53 warrior. As of now i haven't really been doing much else besides story, map completetion, a few dungeons and crafting. Is there anything else i should pick up on my way to 80 that would be beneficial for me there, or just stick at map completetion and stuff like that?.

Cheers.

I'd advise getting a friendly guild. Find people willing to help and teach you. That'll improve your enjoyment a lot.If you're on EU, you can PM me, i'm usually up for helping a fellow player.Other than that, keep on doing what you're doing.One fun thing to do (and that gives you a bit of a overhead) is craft the "next" rare set. After you get lvl 100 (ish, been a while) you will unlock rare recipes. I found that in my early days always making that, was not only a good way to get some exp (0-400 gives you around 10 levels) but havign that gear also improved my overall play.Try doing the jumping puzzles, and stuff like that, and don't neglect the daily achievements.Aside from that, the true fun starts at 80.

Archived