Mistward armor with only PoF on account

Kiboune.1705

Yeah this, like the collections for one or two gen 1 legendaries, are casualties of what seems to be a switch in business plan regarding expansions.Judging from statements around HoT launch, the plan was that everyone owning a later expac would own HoT (either by it being bundled, or by HoT going free).

They (obviously) changed that plan, but never fixed these cases of players being locked out of things that are no longer HoT exclusive.I strongly agree - they should fix it!

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Judging from statements around HoT launch, the plan was that everyone owning a later expac would own HoT (either by it being bundled, or by HoT going free).

Actually, that was only our interpretation of the plan. I thought the same until I re-read the quotes and they were ambiguous on that issue. That is: they never said explicitly that new expansions would include the old ones; they said something closer to "we'll make them available together". We (or at least, I) interpreted that as meaning PoF would include HoT, but it also covers what actually happened: that HoT & PoF are sold separately, but can be purchased together at a discount.

Final note: the cost of buying both HoT & PoF at retail is the same as buying HoT was when it launched: US$30 for either alone today, both together for US$50. So it's also true that paying the original retail cost of HoT (US$50), you get PoF included.

tl;dr ANet never said HoT would be free when PoF launched nor that HoT would be included in the purchase price. They just said they'd make it easier for new players to get them all together.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Judging from statements around HoT launch, the plan was that everyone owning a later expac would own HoT (either by it being bundled, or by HoT going free).

Actually, that was only our interpretation of the plan. I thought the same until I re-read the quotes and they were ambiguous on that issue. That is: they never said explicitly that new expansions would include the old ones; they said something closer to "we'll make them available together". We (or at least, I) interpreted that as meaning PoF would include HoT, but it also covers what actually happened: that HoT & PoF are sold separately, but can be purchased together at a discount.

Final note: the cost of buying both HoT & PoF at retail is the same as buying HoT was when it launched: US$30 for either alone today, both together for US$50. So it's also true that paying the original retail cost of HoT (US$50), you get PoF included.

tl;dr ANet never said HoT would be free when PoF launched nor that HoT would be included in the purchase price. They just said they'd make it easier for new players to get them all together.

Fair enough.

Looking at design choices though, they clearly didn't plan for things like the Revenant class (with the Mistward Armor collections) or Core Tyria Masteries (with Legendary Crafting) to ever be available to someone who did not own HoT.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

Fair enough.

Looking at design choices though, they clearly didn't plan for things like the Revenant class (with the Mistward Armor collections) or Core Tyria Masteries (with Legendary Crafting) to ever be available to someone who did not own HoT.

Having PoF unlocks core Tyria Masteries, and they use Core Tyria Mastery Points to complete, not HoT Mastery Points, so I'm not sure how you can say that.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

Fair enough.

Looking at design choices though, they clearly didn't plan for things like the Revenant class (with the Mistward Armor collections) or
Core Tyria
Masteries (with Legendary Crafting) to ever be available to someone who did not own HoT.

Having PoF unlocks core Tyria Masteries, and they use Core Tyria Mastery Points to complete, not HoT Mastery Points, so I'm not sure how you can say that.

Because at least one (I think two) Core legendaries, available to craft through the precursor crafting system, a core Mastery, require events in HoT and is as such impossible to craft if only owning PoF. This is however in no way indicated upon starting these collections.

Edit: Quick look through the precursor collections. One collection (Frostfang I) requires an event in Verdant Brink.Two collections (Bolt III & Bifrost III) require in different ways to figt Chak. Since IIRC Chak can show up around bounties, I guess they're technically possible with only PoF, just absurdly unlikely. These are also both step 3 - meaning you have already gone through the expensive step 2 collection!

Archived