Why is matchmaking so broken?

Kahrgan.7401

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a recent fair and balanced match. Notice that this was ranked. I'm one of the Mesmers on Blue side.

40% of the players in this match are Scourges. Another 20% are FB's. Relative skill levels are secondary to the classes in this case. I would argue that this illustrates why the matchmaker is struggling.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0ssm46e6clnott/gw005b.jpg?dl=0

Was expecting a necro or mirage stack. I don't get your post. Just because you don't have friends to play with other people shouldn't be prevented from queuing with friends. Maybe blame your loss on poor play and bad coordination. You're not even playing ranking in during an active season so why are you even mad?

@Les.4872 said:Was expecting a necro or mirage stack. I don't get your post. Just because you don't have friends to play with other people shouldn't be prevented from queuing with friends. Maybe blame your loss on poor play and bad coordination. You're not even playing ranking in during an active season so why are you even mad?

2 duos on one team, none on the other. Put 1 duo on each team.

You should have tagged your reply with #ELI5 :)

MMR for individual skill isn’t going to work so long as it’s dependent on your team’s performance. There’s really no good way to measure it with the conquest game type. Good players can be held back by their team and terrible players can get carried.

You could certainly have Anet narrow the window they use for MMR when matchmaking but this would result in longer queue times. Something that not everyone wants. I don’t see duo’s and such to offer much of a significant advantage from my experience playing. It feels more like they’re being used as a scapegoat for something else.

There are other factors that influence the match which is not tied to MMR such as team comp and map mechanics. People giving up so early at the first sign of trouble doesn’t help either.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Kahrgan.7401" said:https://imgur.com/a/oW6eq

I took a look at this match and interestingly enough the team with no duos won 503-498, which sounds like a great match. There are going to be some combinations of ratings where it makes sense for multiple duos/trios to be on the same team. For example, if the 3 highest rated players queue together and 2 lowest players queue together (with the other 5 all solo players), it probably makes sense for those 5 players to be on the same team. We could choose to always separate multi-man rosters when possible, but it would only result in worse matches.

@"Kahrgan.7401" said:https://imgur.com/a/oW6eq

I like how you cut out the score in this one but not the other, and it turns out it was a very balanced match THAT YOUR TEAM OF SOLOS WON! Lmao.

You are playing ranked during the off-season, when the already poor population is at its lowest. Off course the matchmaker will try to split up those duos, but not if it would create a bad matchup concerning the average mmr of each overall team.

This is just a classic case of players wanting to blame whatever they can for their losses. Even if Anet made Ranked Queue 100% solo, you people would still find something to blame your losses on.

Match-making is broken, but posts like these don't actually demonstrate why it's broken. Duo's or no duo's, have nothing to do with it really (unless it's top tier games....probably the reason why they decided at 1600+ to stop duo que)

Anyway, the matchmaking is broken in a different way that nobody really seems to understand. It's that players are getting carried into ranks they don't belong in by other people who are below where they belong. The rating does not REFLECT what people's actual skill levels are.

For example, you have a player who skill-wise belongs in platinum 2 (1600-ish rating) and another player who skill-wise belongs in gold 2 (1400ish rating) but right now they are both in the gold3/Platinum 1 bracket. When those two players get grouped onto the same team, the platinum 2 player is more than likely trying to carry the match. The same thing is happening on the opposing team, they either have the same imbalanced skill distribution, or they could all be the average of the matches rating total (gold3/plat1)

In most cases that plat 2 player will not be able to carry against a set of gold3/plat1 players (because in that rating range, people are not completely stupid) and the plat 2 guy will get a loss, bringing him, and the other guy down, for the cycle to continue again for the plat 2 player.In the other case, that plat 2 player will carry his team against a set of another equally unbalanced team (it's why sometimes you see one of the enemy teams having 3 of your teammates on your home node, while you are farming their far node, it's because both teams have someone trying to carry the match) so now, the game, even though it may be close, is like flipping a coin. if you carry hard enough to win, then you are effectively bringing the gold2 player up with you, for the cycle to continue for the gold 2 player.

In effect, these micro imbalances that usually determine wins/losses have a macro scale consequence in the long term. Most people's rating that they currently have almost never reflects their true skill level, and these imbalanced games continue to occur. the issue is amplified when the balance of the game is off-kilter.

I've seen video evidence of this huge imbalance in skill levels when it occurs. Those who frequent the forums know what i'm talking about i'm sure.

Anyway, whether the OP is one of the carriers or the one being carried can only be determined from some video evidence.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:Match-making is broken, but posts like these don't actually demonstrate why it's broken. Duo's or no duo's, have nothing to do with it really (unless it's top tier games....probably the reason why they decided at 1600+ to stop duo que)

Anyway, the matchmaking is broken in a different way that nobody really seems to understand. It's that players are getting carried into ranks they don't belong in by other people who are below where they belong. The rating does not REFLECT what people's actual skill levels are.

For example, you have a player who skill-wise belongs in platinum 2 (1600-ish rating) and another player who skill-wise belongs in gold 2 (1400ish rating) but right now they are both in the gold3/Platinum 1 bracket. When those two players get grouped onto the same team, the platinum 2 player is more than likely trying to carry the match. The same thing is happening on the opposing team, they either have the same imbalanced skill distribution, or they could all be the average of the matches rating total (gold3/plat1)

In most cases that plat 2 player will not be able to carry against a set of gold3/plat1 players (because in that rating range, people are not completely stupid) and the plat 2 guy will get a loss, bringing him, and the other guy down, for the cycle to continue again for the plat 2 player.In the other case, that plat 2 player will carry his team against a set of another equally unbalanced team (it's why sometimes you see one of the enemy teams having 3 of your teammates on your home node, while you are farming their far node, it's because both teams have someone trying to carry the match) so now, the game, even though it may be close, is like flipping a coin. if you carry hard enough to win, then you are effectively bringing the gold2 player up with you, for the cycle to continue for the gold 2 player.

In effect, these micro imbalances that usually determine wins/losses have a macro scale consequence in the long term. Most people's rating that they currently have almost never reflects their true skill level, and these imbalanced games continue to occur. the issue is amplified when the balance of the game is off-kilter.

I've seen video evidence of this huge imbalance in skill levels when it occurs. Those who frequent the forums know what i'm talking about i'm sure.

Anyway, whether the OP is one of the carriers or the one being carried can only be determined from some video evidence.

This is why bunker and burst builds have an easy time get to high mmr because you can hard carry in matches when you are grouped and playing against really bad players. If you play a more balanced build it's much harder to hard carry.

It's never been an issue with good players not being able to climb, only boosted players from duo Q's being a higher rank than they should. Also with gold being far to diverse in skill level.

Rank directly correlates with your ability to to carry, if it's working correctly. Otherwise you get masive win traders.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:Match-making is broken, but posts like these don't actually demonstrate why it's broken. Duo's or no duo's, have nothing to do with it really (unless it's top tier games....probably the reason why they decided at 1600+ to stop duo que)

You're right, but that isn't the problem of the matchmaking!Its a problem with the basis of Seasons. It's length! I've been saying this since seasons were released, 2 months per season is ridiculous! It's back to season 1 of the living world. Everything needs to be rushed, and people end up burning out. (which coupled with the decision to terminate team queues without an alternative, and poor balance has led to the immense drop in population)Not only that, but to accommodate the shorter leagues, there's a lot more volatility, especially in the first matches, than it would be required, and in the end, the game simply doesn't allow players the time to actually get on their proper ranks.GW2 Leagues are just another farm, it feels disjointed and not even close to being fun! Make it a 6-12 month long season, give less rewards per match, but give a one-time reward at the end that reflects the player's standing.

I will say that the past week or so most of my matches have been complete blow outs one way or the other. Going through my past 10 games, 4 of them were 400ish-500 which is pretty good. But the other 6 ranged from 83-500 to 267-500. Maybe if I could look further back I'll notice it's all in my head. But it definitely _feels _more inconsistent to me.

@mortrialus.3062 said:I will say that the past week or so most of my matches have been complete blow outs one way or the other. Going through my past 10 games, 4 of them were 400ish-500 which is pretty good. But the other 6 ranged from 83-500 to 267-500. Maybe if I could look further back I'll notice it's all in my head. But it definitely _feels _more inconsistent to me.

I can tell you it's not in your head. about 90% of my matches are blowouts ever since they updated matchmaking. Apparently tighting up rating range has made things even worse. At least in my case...

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

@"Kahrgan.7401" said:

I took a look at this match and interestingly enough the team with no duos won 503-498, which sounds like a great match. There are going to be some combinations of ratings where it makes sense for multiple duos/trios to be on the same team. For example, if the 3 highest rated players queue together and 2 lowest players queue together (with the other 5 all solo players), it probably makes sense for those 5 players to be on the same team. We could choose to always separate multi-man rosters when possible, but it would only result in worse matches.

lol nice try, only problem is that anet stated there will be a new way to avoid unbalanced team combs the win or loss does not really matter or did I misunderstood anets plan here?

@Shadelang.3012 said:Ty cal for the clarification :) getting the whole story is always nice instead of a cropped out image.

Not really the whole story though is it, it is a typical Anet selective answer where they ignore the first example where the team without the duos lost by 300 points, and only take his second example that suits them, that is the sort thing you expect from a bad politician, but apparently Anet are actually that desperate...

To be honest, I haven't seen matches like this since the days of "competitive" deliberately unbalanced matches and win/loss streak enhancement. Has ANET returned to that idea?

I will own that the class composition seemed to have a very strong effect. Making ratings even won't do much if the classes are too imbalanced.

In some instances, I got the same teammates in consecutive matches, after having lost with them. I'm not inclined to take the season seriously. Even matches are a pre requisite for true competition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qikvnj4ak9mafyg/gw0102.jpg?dl=0

@"HealAlNite.9658" said:Every season is the same: monkeys who cant getgud crying about matchmaking because they think they deserve more than they actually deserve. Why the kitten every season almost the same players get to legend if matchmaking is a kitten. L2P

How your comment looks like: "I'm bored, trololol, learn to play noobs".Obviously you didn't even look at the images in the links above. I am already playing against legend players. And I was only fresh gold, exactly 10 placement matches played. Either the top players are also gold or something is really busted with the matchmaking.

Archived