Ballance patch will anet get it right or not whats your opinion?

MarkoNS.3261

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Wanze.8410" said:not much point in such a poll if you dont specify the balance issues you are talking about because everybody has a different interpretation of what actually is an issue and what not.

i just want to see the opinions of the people i know where i stand with their "balance team" im jsut curious.

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

@"Wanze.8410" said:not much point in such a poll if you dont specify the balance issues you are talking about because everybody has a different interpretation of what actually is an issue and what not.

i just want to see the opinions of the people i know where i stand with their "balance team" im jsut curious.

I already know where you stand with their balance team as well, since you included more negative options than positive ones

Unless there was only one class and one build, players will never think there is balance. Rock never think scissors needs a boost but paper is way OP. Now multiple that by 27. Not to mention the balance between power/condi/heals/CC and three game modes. Its a never ending turnabout. Can we expect them to address over-reaching ones, probably. But I can bet that someone that is not happy because class x beat class y yesterday will still be unhappy on Wednesday, even if its about another class/ability/build/rotation.

@Wanze.8410 said:not much point in such a poll if you dont specify the balance issues you are talking about because everybody has a different interpretation of what actually is an issue and what not.

This kind of hits it. Quite often people will generalize issues and then assume that everyone knows what they are talking about. The issues IMO that have seen the most traction when being addressed is when the player base come out and states its this class with this build/mechanic and I am this build/stats/armor and this occurs. Just saying balance, doesn't do it. Details do matter, two people saying its broke could mean that one can't log in and the other doesn't know how to enter the lobby. Is it broke, for them, sure, but there are multiple solutions here and without a what's the issue you could have someone going off to check their internet connection.

from my last 5 years of Balance Patch Experience with Anet, i sadly so far must answer with this vote option.But only, because Anet keeps on ignoring to update all other important combat system mechanics..They have been way too much focused on changing permanently only skills and traits, that they have lost out of sight everything else, that belongs to class and game balance as well too >.> mainly Condition/Boon Spam, Health System, Attribute System and Upgrade System and they missed with HoT the chance to implement a player Breakbar System, to get finally the CC Spam of this game fixed and balanced...To add this system only for Hp sponge bosses for PvE was totally absurd and ridiculous!!

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

Just curious about what? whether everyone has a knee-jerk reaction to balance patches?

Here's what we can guarantee: regardless of the details, there will be a lot of complaints on the forum, most without specific or tangible criticism, other than "ANet doesn't know how to balance." There will be additional complaints in all nine of the profession-oriented forums. There will be complaints about condi & stealth in both the pvp and wvw forums, and about Winds of Disenchantment (either it was nerfed too hard or wasn't nerfed enough).

@"Wanze.8410" is right: the poll makes little sense unless you explain what is meant by "get it right."

A more interesting discussion question would be: what should ANet use as the baseline for balancing? Some people seem to think that ANet should go entirely by what shows up as "meta" on a benchmark site. Some think it should go by what "casuals" play or need. Should it go by raid meta? or Fractal meta? or PvP meta? Some people think ANet should go strictly by what their data shows is over-used or under-powered. Some say ANet should follow what the strongest critics say (and some want the loudest critics to be heard). Which of those, if any, would make for the best possible playing experience?

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:A more interesting discussion question would be: what should ANet use as the baseline for balancing? Some people seem to think that ANet should go entirely by what shows up as "meta" on a benchmark site. Some think it should go by what "casuals" play or need. Should it go by raid meta? or Fractal meta? or PvP meta? Some people think ANet should go strictly by what their data shows is over-used or under-powered. Some say ANet should follow what the strongest critics say (and some want the loudest critics to be heard). Which of those, if any, would make for the best possible playing experience?

I think as soon as there is a meta, its unbalanced by default.

@Wanze.8410 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:A more interesting discussion question would be: what should ANet use as the baseline for balancing? Some people seem to think that ANet should go entirely by what shows up as "meta" on a benchmark site. Some think it should go by what "casuals" play or need. Should it go by raid meta? or Fractal meta? or PvP meta? Some people think ANet should go strictly by what their data shows is over-used or under-powered. Some say ANet should follow what the strongest critics say (and some want the loudest critics to be heard). Which of those, if any, would make for the best possible playing experience?

I think as soon as there is a meta, its unbalanced by default.

It's mathematically certain that there's always going to be a meta. There's no such thing as perfect balance unless there's only one profession with one set of skills. People always find something that works efficiently, by squeezing the mechanics to near-breaking points and it's impossible to ensure that (a) there's more than one way to get the same numbers and (b) that whatever ANet works out won't be undermined or overwhelmed by clever fans.

Further, folks have a tendency to ignore "what works best in each situation" and prefer to faithfully follow a guide. Plus, it's easier for benchmarking purposes to focus on "most efficient"; that's easier to measure and replicate than "fit for purpose"

Regardless, my point is: there's no agreement among players as to what constitutes a successful balance patch, so it's not very meaningful to ask if ANet will get it right. Clearly, the answer is: they cannot possibly balance to everyone's or even most posters' satisfaction. The question needs to be more specific, otherwise it's not very interesting.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said

It's mathematically certain that there's always going to be a meta. There's no such thing as perfect balance unless there's only one profession with one set of skills. People always find something that works efficiently, by squeezing the mechanics to near-breaking points and it's impossible to ensure that (a) there's more than one way to get the same numbers and (b) that whatever ANet works out won't be undermined or overwhelmed by clever fans.

Further, folks have a tendency to ignore "what works best in each situation" and prefer to faithfully follow a guide. Plus, it's easier for benchmarking purposes to focus on "most efficient"; that's easier to measure and replicate than "fit for purpose"

Regardless, my point is: there's no agreement among players as to what constitutes a successful balance patch, so it's not very meaningful to ask if ANet will get it right. Clearly, the answer is: they cannot possibly balance to everyone's or even most posters' satisfaction. The question needs to be more specific, otherwise it's not very interesting.

Not only the mathematics, but the players' skill level would factor in as well, no? A variable that really can't be defined?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Just curious about what? whether everyone has a knee-jerk reaction to balance patches?

Here's what we can guarantee: regardless of the details, there will be a lot of complaints on the forum, most without specific or tangible criticism, other than "ANet doesn't know how to balance." There will be additional complaints in all nine of the profession-oriented forums. There will be complaints about condi & stealth in both the pvp and wvw forums, and about Winds of Disenchantment (either it was nerfed too hard or wasn't nerfed enough).

@"Wanze.8410" is right: the poll makes little sense unless you explain what is meant by "get it right."

A more interesting discussion question would be: what should ANet use as the baseline for balancing? Some people seem to think that ANet should go entirely by what shows up as "meta" on a benchmark site. Some think it should go by what "casuals" play or need. Should it go by raid meta? or Fractal meta? or PvP meta? Some people think ANet should go strictly by what their data shows is over-used or under-powered. Some say ANet should follow what the strongest critics say (and some want the loudest critics to be heard). Which of those, if any, would make for the best possible playing experience?

yeah because anything specific will get removed by the moderators, also for example why are they constantly nerfing eles for years now if other classes have lower dps potencial shoudnt the other dps be brought up and not mess around with the one class i liked, also how about 0 nerfs to thiefs in any game mode maybe 1 in 3 years and no nerfs to wars when they have unending resistance to conditions hmmm ?

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

yeah because anything specific will get removed by the moderators, also for example why are they constantly nerfing eles for years now if other classes have lower dps potentioal shoudnt there dps be brought up and not mess around with the one class i liked, also how about 0 nerfs to thiefs in any game mode maybe 1 in 3 years and no nerfs to wars when they have unending resistance to conditions hmmm ?

I don't see why Thieves need a nerf at all.No clue on Warriors as I just don't like that class.Also isn't Elementalist still the top DPS so... what is the complaining in that?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

yeah because anything specific will get removed by the moderators, also for example why are they constantly nerfing eles for years now if other classes have lower dps potentioal shoudnt there dps be brought up and not mess around with the one class i liked, also how about 0 nerfs to thiefs in any game mode maybe 1 in 3 years and no nerfs to wars when they have unending resistance to conditions hmmm ?

I don't see why Thieves need a nerf at all.No clue on Warriors as I just don't like that class.Also isn't Elementalist still the top DPS so... what is the complaining in that?

because thief is a broken class, any good thief player will tell you that.

Archived