Need help deciding on an offhand.

Panda.1967

Ok so with PoF coming out, I am fully intending to spec my Guardian as a Firebrand and intend to use Axe/Torch as one of my weapon sets, for my second weapon set I would like to keep using MH Sword like I have been for a while now, however, I'm not sure what to pair with it as my offhand now since I'll be using my Torch with Axe... So I come here to ask... which would be a better choice, Shield or Focus?

@Ojimaru.8970 said:Well, you could leave the offhand slot empty and therefore default back to Torch, which gives more damage. On the other hand, Focus gives blocks, decent damage, and even a Blast finisher. Finally, Shield can give Aegis, and therefore Quickness, if traited.

I think i might have to go with Focus then, especially for that Blast finisher. Thankyou.

I personally am going to be leaving my offhand blank for DPS Firebrand. The torch is just such a huge increase in damage over the other two offhands that they seem pretty bad to use. Though for Firebrand, depending how tomes end up with changes that may or may not occur, you might not need an off set for damage since you'll be entering tome often enough to not have to swap. If this becomes the case, then it would be best to probably use Scepter on swap for a range option (remember, it will be FB only range weapon), or to use a Mace/Shield combo for support on swap (would be good for a Seraph Quickness/Healer build that still puts out damage).

If you plan on using Stalward Speed (second major trait in middle line). I would suggest shield. Which has aegis on shield of judgment. The trait gives you quickness when ever you pop aegis, which then can pop additional burning. It has a nice synergy overall for the firebrand

@rogerwilko.6895 said:PvE as in raids?Outside of raids why would one min-max damage? Why not group utility or personal survability?I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand this game. Personally I would choose the best option for survability, because I'm bad...

Because faster you kill, less damage you take and more loot you get(since you can kill more mobs overall). For PvE you need just enough survability to not die. I would say pretty standard mindset within gaming."Only health point that matters is 0". aslong you don´t hit 0, it doesn´t matter if you got 1 or 25000 health. And for GW2 thats not even true thanks to down state. So better you get more you replace survival stats with dps stats.Also i heard something last day, that looking at damage on world bosses, alot of low dps people running around for em, and high dps players do far more to help in these event then people think (can´t remeber where i heard it), dpsmeters give alot more info on old stuff.

Archived