Season 10 Matchmaker

Alatar.7364

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoop and I also had a match where we were placed against 4x Scourges. These people did not swap classes, it just loaded in 4x Scourges against our team that had no Scourges or Firebrands. Needless to say, we lost that match. What felt bad though, is that we were mulching these Scourges all match. Our team seriously outplayed the 4x Scourge team. But because it was a team of 4x Scourges, to be able to kill them, we couldn't stand on the nodes. The 4x Scourge team won the match by repeatedly dying, respawning and walking onto nodes to keep us off nodes, despite the fact that they were being farmed for kills.

I think that match may have been the biggest demonstration of an imbalanced meta and now imbalanced game mode in general, that I have personally witnessed in all the years of Guild Wars 2.

Do not allow class stacking like that if you don't plan on balancing the intra-class dynamics.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Zoop and I also had a match where we were placed against 4x Scourges. These people did not swap classes, it just loaded in 4x Scourges against our team that had no Scourges or Firebrands. Needless to say, we lost that match. What felt bad though, is that we were mulching these Scourges all match. Our team seriously outplayed the 4x Scourge team. But because it was a team of 4x Scourges, to be able to kill them, we couldn't stand on the nodes. The 4x Scourge team won the match by repeatedly dying, respawning and walking onto nodes to keep us off nodes, despite the fact that they were being farmed for kills.

I think that match may have been the biggest demonstration of an imbalanced meta and now imbalanced game mode in general, that I have personally witnessed in all the years of Guild Wars 2.

Do not allow class stacking like that if you don't plan on balancing the intra-class dynamics.

I was more or less asking because we kept getting 2xScrouge 2xFb as Enemy, while we got the most clueless people in the history of PvP. I thought the Matchmaker now takes Rating in to account more accurately, yet how can Scourge that kept on running and dying to Enemy lord for Two matches in a row , refusing to stop, or a Hammer Rev slowly pew pewing in to 1v3 (and dying) have the same rating as me? Either I truly do have such a horrible rating, or the Matchmaker is making some nice Mistakes somewhere, as almost all the Matches today resulted on either horrible losses or blow out wins, more than last Season. By this Statement I mean no disrespect to the QA Team, but so far, in my very few games, it is worse than ever before.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Zoop and I also had a match where we were placed against 4x Scourges. These people did not swap classes, it just loaded in 4x Scourges against our team that had no Scourges or Firebrands. Needless to say, we lost that match. What felt bad though, is that we were mulching these Scourges all match. Our team seriously outplayed the 4x Scourge team. But because it was a team of 4x Scourges, to be able to kill them, we couldn't stand on the nodes. The 4x Scourge team won the match by repeatedly dying, respawning and walking onto nodes to keep us off nodes, despite the fact that they were being farmed for kills.

Bro·ken/ˈbrōkən/

adjective

Definition:

1. See comments above

• ArenaNet Staff

This should literally never happen if no one swapped. I'll track down the match tomorrow and see what's up

• ArenaNet Staff

@zoopop.5630 said:

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:yes­­­­­­­­

It hasn't been working like it should.... being paired with 2 rangers/2holo but no necro or guardians at all, however enemy team has 2necro guardians and a holo?

wasn't the new match making suppose to prevent team match ups like this?

The matcher considers all compositions with unique profession differences up to 2 (i.e. 2v0 and 3v1 are both viable choices) and picks the best based on ratings. Our first test in unranked used a limit of 1 (1v1 and 2v2 splits only), but this is a pretty harsh restriction and ended up creating worse matches in many cases. We relaxed the limit to 2 early last week in unranked and saw additional improvements in matchmaking, so that's what we went with moving forward.

Ironically, what you are saying is that scourge is trash and easy to kill, but you ignored the game objective of capture the point so you lost. How exactly did they get to the node so fast? They had to hold 2 nodes to win...yet you were owning them...and they are the slowest back to a node. Plus, you were getting 5 points for each kill.

What are you specifically whining about? Scourge or capture the point objectives. If it's scourge, you already mentioned that you owned them by just being at a distance. Do you want to kill them close up too, so that they aren't viable in any scenario? If it's capture the point, did you not have one teammate or spec that was playing the objective? Was everyone running glass builds from range and afraid to step on the node? If so, are you really saying that glass builds with nobody to stand on a node should have meant you win?

Too bad we don't have a video of this match to compare what you are saying to what really happened. Hope Anet looks at it.

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

This should literally never happen if no one swapped. I'll track down the match tomorrow and see what's up

If they did swap, it happened before I was able to load in and push the B screen to look at team composition, which means it was pre-contemplated to do so, which reveals a huge exploit within the system to bypass the anti class stacking function. Is there no way to implement a function that plainly prevents a player from logging out and back onto a class that there is already 2 of in the player's current team?

Our team consisted of: Druid/Holo/Holo and two other DPS specs which were not Scourges. The enemy team was 4x Scourges and 1x Holo. Aside from what the coy & sarcastic responses say in this thread, the large majority of player base would agree that a team's success rate goes up higher and higher the more Scourges & Firebrands that are on that team. This is true in spvp and wvw.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

If they did swap, it happened before I was able to load in and push the B screen to look at team composition, which means it was pre-contemplated to do so, which reveals a huge exploit within the system to bypass the anti class stacking function. Is there no way to implement a function that plainly prevents a player from logging out and back onto a class that there is already 2 of in the player's current team?

Our team consisted of: Druid/Holo/Holo and two other DPS specs which were not Scourges. The enemy team was 4x Scourges and 1x Holo. Aside from what the coy & sarcastic responses say in this thread, the large majority of player base would agree that a team's success rate goes up higher and higher the more Scourges & Firebrands that are on that team. This is true in spvp and wvw.

Swapping before loading into the match is something I personally do frequently. I will be q'd while doing random pve stuff on a random character then once I accept q pop I switch to the class I actually want to pvp with. No one in game would have any way of knowing what I originally q'd as. While I just use it for pve multi tasking while queuing people can be use it to stack op classes like scourge by queuing as a bad class like ele or rev then swapping to scourge. Then they don't need to worry about getting the bad class they q'd as on their team and they have the potential for 3+ scourges on their team. This wouldn't work if balance was actually decent but it sucks and stacking scourges is a great way to get easy wins.

Indeed Indeed. There certainly needs to be a function implemented to prevent such class stacking through swapping.

You know 1 of those 4x Scourges actually stopped and complimented my play during that match in /s chat? Cal Cohen should see this if he goes back and reviews the match. Point being: When a person is complemented rather than insulted in such a toxic community, you gotta wonder why that guy is losing his match.

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

It hasn't been working like it should.... being paired with 2 rangers/2holo but no necro or guardians at all, however enemy team has 2necro guardians and a holo?

The matcher considers all compositions with unique profession differences up to 2 (i.e. 2v0 and 3v1 are both viable choices) and picks the best based on ratings. Our first test in unranked used a limit of 1 (1v1 and 2v2 splits only), but this is a pretty harsh restriction and ended up creating worse matches in many cases. We relaxed the limit to 2 early last week in unranked and saw additional improvements in matchmaking, so that's what we went with moving forward.

listen whats so hard to place a certain role per class and make match ups that way? The way things are going aren't working on anet end at all, why not give certain classes/builds a role (kinda how League of legend does now for rank and made ranking 10x easier for everyone), and this whole thing with people Stacking Classes and SWAPPING out of classes is getting a bit out of hand have said person play said class if they que up for it in rank... Less of an issue AFTER teams are made, It kinda defeats the purpose you guys are trying to fix by giving us "fair team comps" but players swapping things to either make it worse or better at the end(majority of the time for the worse and making team match up unfair).

@"Cal Cohen.3527" said:yes­­­­­­­­

Hey,

Im curious about volatility when it comes to rating if youre interested in answering. How come do you allow the rating gain/loss to be so volatile at the start of seasons? I understand that MMR or hidden rating whatever it is is not like this but for example at the start of this season you see last seasons 50% winrate gold players jumping all the way to plat 2/3 due to winstreaks * . Doesnt it still effect the matchmaking in some ways like if their winstreak continues, their hidden rating will rise higher and theyll be matched in games where they, at least according to last season, should not belong? I agree that a degree of volatility is good to have but a jump that goes almost 1 division higher after being "hardstuck" in last season. Sorry if this derails from the thread too much.

• im not speaking of all gold players or large amounts, just some that ive noticed myself throughout the leaderboard.

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:The matcher considers all compositions with unique profession differences up to 2 (i.e. 2v0 and 3v1 are both viable choices) and picks the best based on ratings. Our first test in unranked used a limit of 1 (1v1 and 2v2 splits only), but this is a pretty harsh restriction and ended up creating worse matches in many cases. We relaxed the limit to 2 early last week in unranked and saw additional improvements in matchmaking, so that's what we went with moving forward.

Fair enough, i just wish the Scourge weren't so broken the more there are in a team, 2 scourges (or 3) are extremely dangerous if your team doesn't have any.

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

yea sorry , I'm calling Bs on the match making system being "better/changed" because every single match during my placements has been far rigged due to team comp. This is exactly why peeps stop playing the game or try to take it serious. It's not even the "balance issue" that bothers me it's the match making itself.

Games shouldn't be 200-500 and think it's "good match ups".

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Emtiarbi.3281 said:Is it possible to restrict specific classes to 1 in the Matchmaking? For instance, the scourge is very strong so you guys can restrict that one to 1 per team all the time.

That would royally screw any poor soul that tries playing Reaper by preventing them from getting a Scourge on their team.

That's kind of a problem within a problem, isn't it?

Archived