The matter on players tapping and contesting towers/keeps

Wuffy.9732

I get the idea of preventing players from losing towers/keeps by the enemy being sneaky, but its also just as ridiculous that one player being able to smack a gate and contest towers/keeps. Especially if that same 'One' player, is say, a perma dodge/stealth Thief able to run for miles and tap keeps for hours constantly blocking wp. That's just idiotic, a whole tower or keep should not be contested due to One enemy. I'd say to at least raise the limit to 5 players minimum in order to contest keeps, but one person should not be able to cause mayham and put everything on panic mode!

If actual wars were won by just one foot soldier, then I could see the reality in this.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Krypto.2069" said:I agree - one player tapping a keep for literally HOURS ON END is ridiculous, and this happens too often imo. I'd like to see the minimum damage a structure must take in order to be "tapped" be significantly raised. One hit from one player every 3 minutes is non-sense.

Thats an even better suggestion, a damage threshold would be a better alternative. Taking siege into consideration.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:mmm... some players are that dedicated to tap keeps for 12 hours or more. how would they feel?

They have no feelings, I'm sure

aw. maybe a keep watchtower? haha.

Not gonna lie, I don't like Watchtower either... It makes things too easy, i miss the old days when scouting was actually necessary.

make gates immune to normal attack like walls. and contest equals damage by siege only.

no more tapping problem and you know it's really enemies sieging by having siege hit the structure.

also, guards and archers dont spawn until sieges do damage. and once the keep or tower is contested, continue what worked as before.

If you're willing to spend a bit of silver and supply. Just use a high mobility profession -Daredevil built for swiftness on dodge. Unless they've patched it out, just run from tower to tower and set down cheap siege blueprints where you know only one guard is going to come to attack it. Even better if you have a friend along and both of you are able to carry twenty to twenty five supply each and you fully build the blueprint. Depending on how low tier the structure/guard is you'll be able to keep a tower/keep contested without even being there anymore and will be free to repeat this around any given map. Complexity of the structure -whether it has water gates or not- and how lazy its defenders are also play a big part in how long a structure/waypoint is tied up as defenders will first have to find the siege to destroy it. Either way, it's much more annoying than simply having a player tap and move off.

sure take out more stuff for solo roamers..... Also tagging a keep is not game breaking by any means.... u can still defend your border. ppl also complained in the past that it is unfair that camps get flipped so fast by 1 player. we have so much stuff to talk about in this game mode that could use improvements. demoting roamers and taking away their roles is truly plain stupid.

@JustDemons.4358 said:sure take out more stuff for solo roamers..... Also tagging a keep is not game breaking.... u can still defend your border. typical zergling whining i guess? xDD

It just doesnt make any sense to me is all. I don't care what Solo roamers intentions really are, and I don't care. But to contest an entire keep or tower shouldn't be the job/duty of a roamer.

@Wuffy.9732 said:

@JustDemons.4358 said:sure take out more stuff for solo roamers..... Also tagging a keep is not game breaking.... u can still defend your border. typical zergling whining i guess? xDD

It just doesnt make any sense to me is all. I don't care what Solo roamers intentions really are, and I don't care. But to contest an entire keep or tower shouldn't be the job/duty of a roamer.

again, its not game breaking AND it is a job that only can be done with thiefs really because u need the mobility. if u do it with other chars while a fight on a site keep goes on other classes get killed and cant even keep the contesting up for the duration of a fight over a side keep. then u need more players to perma contest what is equal to some suggestions of needing 5 ppl to keep a keep contested. also i have never seen a single thief keep a garri contested for more then a few minutes maybe up to an hour because its boring.

@JustDemons.4358 said:

again, its not game breaking AND it is a job that only can be done with thiefs really because u need the mobility. if u do it with other chars while a fight on a site keep goes on other classes get killed and cant even keep the contesting up for the duration of a fight over a side keep. then u need more players to perma contest what is equal to some suggestions of needing 5 ppl to keep a keep contested. also i have never seen a single thief keep a garri contested for more then a few minutes maybe up to an hour because its boring.

There are people who do it for hours man, where have you been? Also I disagree with you, it is game breaking. Does the idea of one person contesting a keep make that much sense to you? Explain to me why, cause I don't understand the reality of it.

@"Sovereign.1093" said:make gates immune to normal attack like walls. and contest equals damage by siege only.

no more tapping problem and you know it's really enemies sieging by having siege hit the structure.

also, guards and archers dont spawn until sieges do damage. and once the keep or tower is contested, continue what worked as before.

why so hard?if guards just dont trigger the contested "mode" problem would be solved no?rest u can take from your own lines siege etc.

tho i dont really understand people contesting for hours and hours straight, i mean fine with me tho enjoy your thing.but its like this person contesting has nothing better to do beside tapping a npc/wall/gate every 3 mins i mean i would get bored within 10 seconds i play WvW to pvp not to keep shit contest. Now i i have to admit i dont give a rats ass about winning or losing our match up also.

anyway on the other hand tapping keeps is quite nice when u attack stuff on home border tho..tap garri then hit bay/hills gives u nice advantage, then again if commander builds first a treb somewhere in middle of nowhere to contest garri and then heads for hills/bay it would still be the same. just cost more time balabal

at the end im all in for removing 1 single player being able to contest.

@Wuffy.9732 said:I get the idea of preventing players from losing towers/keeps by the enemy being sneaky, but its also just as ridiculous that one player being able to smack a gate and contest towers/keeps. Especially if that same 'One' player, is say, a perma dodge/stealth Thief able to run for miles and tap keeps for hours constantly blocking wp. That's just idiotic, a whole tower or keep should not be contested due to One enemy. I'd say to at least raise the limit to 5 players minimum in order to contest keeps, but one person should not be able to cause mayham and put everything on panic mode!

If actual wars were won by just one foot soldier, then I could see the reality in this.

when our zerg is having a hard time to crash some t3 structure on the map i sometimes keep gari contested till the commander is successfull or stops trying, even if it takes hours, usually i get bored really fast if i did that and the enemies dont care. but when our zerg is contesting a fortified structure, then allways some wannabes will come by to entertain me and grand me loot.raising the limit to 5 opponents in the area around the object to be able to contest a keep or tower would actually help me as a solo roamer, as i can flip any structure solo and if that is not shown on the map, even easier. damage thresholds could be more annoying but it wont take long to figure how much they are and they will either be too low to keep someone from solo keeping a keep / tower infight or be too high so i can easily flip em solo without notice.therefor i am all for your suggestion either the damage or player threshold, as this will force my opponents to keep some scouts and smallscalers to scout objectives and will ultimately increase the amount of smallscale fights, without needing to be an annoyance to the enemy zerg. and if the zerg still wants gari infight, they can just sent a small group there to do actual damage.

The mechanics of the zone would need to be changed if you remove tapping. Take Hills in alpine. the team that holds that can glide directly to camp and tower. I've seen never ending battles where one side just continoually dies, waypoints to hills, glides in, rinses and repeats. An effective strategy is to tap hills and prevent them from rezzing there and at least have some counterplay of having to navigate through the enemy to get back into the tower.

If tapping was changed, all this would do is indirectly nerf, once again, small groups. Remove tapping, but also remove waypoints (except garrison) for dead people. People have expressed making death more relevant. Make them work to get back to the fight if they were unfortunate to die in it.

@"reddie.5861" said:because moi as solo player sometimes builds a ram or w/e if guards wouldnt spawn it gives me a hell alot more time .just make guards spawn the way they do now. but dont let them have effect on the tower/keepThen you could still poke a door and it would be contested.

The TL;DR of this has been and will always be:Disable player damage against doors, or alternativly only allow it from 50% and below ("the door is broken so now you can get a foot in").Only contest objectives that take structural damage or the lord is under attack.

Anet could have done this years ago.

People are forgetting its a useful tool to get the enemy blob to a certain location while your blob attacks another.

I think it'd be foolish to get rid of it.

Just learn who the tappers are and then kill them over and over. They'll move on to easier targets. Stealth traps are your friends. Only takes about four people 15 minutes before you can dissuade a tapper at a keep (to watch all gates). And really, it can be just one person who does it. Mind you, you have to leave your tower to do so -- and you better be skilled enough to kill them.

@SugarCayne.3098 said:People are forgetting its a useful tool to get the enemy blob to a certain location while your blob attacks another.

I think it'd be foolish to get rid of it.

Just learn who the tappers are and then kill them over and over. They'll move on to easier targets. Stealth traps are your friends. Only takes about four people 15 minutes before you can dissuade a tapper at a keep (to watch all gates). And really, it can be just one person who does it. Mind you, you have to leave your tower to do so -- and you better be skilled enough to kill them.

It's a lot harder than that, as most tappers will get into range, tap, then be away before you have any chance of even touching them- and chasing them across the map doesn't work.

Stealth traps are useless- the tapper just triggers it then runs away, comes back when effect wears off. Using them encourages the tapper.

You can only catch one tapper by using 3-4 players each gate, which means one enemy is now tying up 10+ of you permanently- so his side is winning. He'll keep coming back- he'll be back before the contested decays. How long do you want to stay in that tower earning nothing?

If a skilled tapper doesn't want to engage, best of luck trying to kill them less than 4 to 1- no matter how skilled you are.

1 player able to tie down the WP on a keep for hours on end is stupid and a bit ridiculous, and if you think otherwise then you must be one of the people doing it.

Tying down a keep to help a commander with a battle is fine. Tying down a keep all day long, for no reason than to make people run farther is just childish......please go back to spawn camping in CoD.

Archived