April Fools

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Zohane.7208 said:Sadly it's unlikely to happen. A couple of years ago there was a huge backlash at an April Fool's (imo totally unwarranted but that's beside the point), and since then I don't think Anet will subject themselves to that level of hate.

Shame really. I understand where the backlash came from, but it was totally unwarranted. The airplane thing was amazing, I always interact with those memory boxes if I see them.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Zohane.7208 said:Sadly it's unlikely to happen. A couple of years ago there was a huge backlash at an April Fool's (imo totally unwarranted but that's beside the point), and since then I don't think Anet will subject themselves to that level of hate.

Mind telling me some of the things they did?

The ones I remember were bobblehead and airplane. For bobblehead everyone, or at least all NPCs had huge heads, looked hilarious. For airplane everyone ran around with arms rigidly stretched out and made airplane sounds. Screen was also turned to sepia so it looked like an old old movie. Unfortunately this happened same year as a pilot had willingly piloted his Commercial Aircraft into a mountain as a suicide, so then there were lots of people accusing Anet of being insensitive etcetera.

Back in the GW(1) days there were always something happening in the towns and outposts. Things I recall are when all players were converted to stick figures and when people and minis traded size so all players were mini and minis were huge.

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Mind telling me some of the things they did?

The April Fool event for 2015 involved the aviator joke. This is where everything turned brownish on screen, and your character would run around with their arms extended and make airplane sounds.

Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day_2015

Unfortunately, a few days prior, someone hijacked a commercial airliner and it crashed. I'll not get into the morbid details, but some felt the joke was in poor taste given the recent tragedy. Of course, this was totally beyond ANet's control, but people got upset about it regardless because . . . well . . . people. It got so bad that ANet even issued an apology.

And ever since then, the April Fool events have been absent as far as in-game.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:So we need to do something that can’t possibly upset
anyone
We’ll turn everyone into grey blobs, like the oozes, but just grey.You can’t upset anyone with that, can you?

Can't really upset anyone with bobble head either and yet people complained about having it forced on their characters.

For me the bobble head thing just caused some kind of motion sickness nauseousness so I could not play at all that day, which was not a big thing since it was just one day.Airplane mode on the other hand was great!

What they could do is to give a simple way to toggle it off for the ones who get upset or otherwise don't want to or can't play with the effects.

Back in the old days, GW1 always had something fun April fools joke such as, Gender swap, stick figures and players became mini's size.Now in GW2 I feel like ANet has lost their touch, their motivation for this game as it just feels boring and dead.Oh yeah, the only good GW2 can do nowadays is to copy+paste older events all over again.Boring? Yes. Lazy? Well...

Well, I propose a simple prank like mini-mounts... that day mounts will have the size of a mini pets XD, it will not hurt anyone and you can also make it a gem item.If you want a more complex one, while mounting your pet become a backpack and you get the pet skills (something like the griffon backpack/glider)...

Another thing I would like to see is a SAB outfit.

It wasn't just the plane crash that had people complaining about April Fools jokes.

People also complained about both the plane arms and the bobble heads because they hated their character/screen looking weird, even for one day and apparently a lot refused to log in at all, or logged in and immediately left again. A lot of people came to the forum to complain and some reported it as a bug (either genuinely thinking it was a bug or to make a point).

I wonder if it would be better if they did it like in GW1 where it only affected towns and outposts - make it something that only happens in cities so if you want to get away from it you can and it's not messing things up in combat.

Or mail everyone an item with a long duration/multiple uses so they can choose to apply the effect or not. Maybe it wouldn't have the same impact as just logging in and finding it's happened, but it would give those who really can't stand the change a way to avoid it.

@Danikat.8537 said:It wasn't just the plane crash that had people complaining about April Fools jokes.

People also complained about both the plane arms and the bobble heads because they hated their character/screen looking weird, even for one day and apparently a lot refused to log in at all, or logged in and immediately left again. A lot of people came to the forum to complain and some reported it as a bug (either genuinely thinking it was a bug or to make a point).

I wonder if it would be better if they did it like in GW1 where it only affected towns and outposts - make it something that only happens in cities so if you want to get away from it you can and it's not messing things up in combat.

Or mail everyone an item with a long duration/multiple uses so they can choose to apply the effect or not. Maybe it wouldn't have the same impact as just logging in and finding it's happened, but it would give those who really can't stand the change a way to avoid it.

I hated the forced airplane change to my character. Especially since you couldn't turn it off, the most you could do was disable a specific shader that removed the yellow tint on screen.I logged off and didn't play that day.

I propose that all mounts are being followed or chased by something funRaptor: Nyan Cat (including the sound)Springer: Elmer FuddSkimmer: several character from finding Nemo!Jackal: Mr. HydeRaptor: 5 miniator Trahearnes being transformed by an aviator memory box. They don't follow, but fly around the players head like birds in a cartoon.

@Klipso.8653 said:The forced airplane thing was obnoxious. if they do something in-game, they need to have an option to disable it.

I thought it was absolutely fine and funny and only lasted a few hours.

That said an option to turn it off (and indeed a right-click option to disable/remove these kind of effects in general, including food buffs) would be great if it cuts down on the complaints.

@"hash.8462" said:Well, I propose a simple prank like mini-mounts... that day mounts will have the size of a mini pets XD, it will not hurt anyone and you can also make it a gem item.If you want a more complex one, while mounting your pet become a backpack and you get the pet skills (something like the griffon backpack/glider)...

That'd be great! I love the idea of the griffon mini riding your characters as your character flapping your "wings". :D

Another thing I would like to see is a SAB outfit.

Me too!

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Mind telling me some of the things they did?

The April Fool event for 2015 involved the aviator joke. This is where everything turn brownish on screen, and your character would run around with their arms extended and make airplane sounds.

Source:

Unfortunately, a few days prior, someone hijacked a commercial airliner and it crashed. I'll not get into the morbid details, but some felt the joke was in poor taste given the recent tragedy. Of course, this was totally beyond ANet's control, but people got upset about it regardless because . . . well . . . people. It got so bad that ANet even issued an apology.

And ever since then, the April Fool events have been absent as far as in-game.

I distinctly remember that. And thanks to people like that, and the people who were all "but muh character looks weird with arms stuck out", ANET will probably never have a April Fool's event again. Gee, thanks complainers! :/

Archived