Copyright Question Answered - new post: crochet Baby Dolyak

fizzypetal.7936

Howdy ArenaNet!I recently created a crochet blog. A couple of years ago I found a Quaggan crochet pattern on the Internet. I made 3 and gave them away as gifts (2 went to my kids, one to a guildie who has become a good friend outside of game). My question is do I have ArenaNet's permission to include pictures of them on my website alongside other images of completed projects (e.g, blankets, scarves, etc).

I created the blog to chronicle my crochet journey and to share with others my successes and failures. My main hope is that it will inspire others that admire crochet work but don't do it themselves, to give it a try. I don't want to unknowingly and unintentionally infringe upon ArenaNets proprietary rights (if that is the correct term) by displaying images of crochet GW2 characters. Hence the post asking for ArenaNet's permission. :)

Many thanks!

• ArenaNet Staff

You made the projects as gifts. So they're clearly non-profit and for personal use. I feel sure you could include them on your blog.

Frankly, I hope you post images here, because I'd love to see them. :)

And Fizzy, allow me a little crafter envy here: I tried crocheting (with the kind assistance of Bobby Stein's wife, Carol) and I am SO bad at it. SO bad, indeed, that I haven't the will to pick up the yarn and hook and try again. Therefore, anyone who achieves anything should share what they've accomplished!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy @"Gaile Gray.6029" ! Thank you for you reply...apologies for my delay in response...I only saw your post when I logged in today.

Please pick up the hook again. My blog is about my learning process if you're interested - warts and all! My early attempts were quite awful and though I have improved, I still make mistakes and struggle a little with consistent tension.

The key is to start off small - like a scarf using a very basic stitch until you get comfortable with holding the hook and yarn. Trust me when I say it will just suddenly 'click'.

On my blog I include a Fizzy Faves section which covers my favourite YouTube teacher, inspiration and free patterns. This should hopefully set you on your way if you decide to give it another go. And of course you can always message me with photos if you're struggling and I can help that way - I've done it before with someone else and it worked pretty well. :D

My Quaggan babies....I can't copy/paste to here for some reason...so I wrote a quick blog post and included images to there.

tumblr_p9yn3koZTj1xw77ato2_540.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Lindaklingomat.1253 said:Oh wow - I wish that I had a pattern for that baby dolyak - It is amazingly cute! <3 And I can not freestyle crochet or change a pattern at will ;) But wow - you are awesome.

Thank you for the compliment! I did write down my changes to the pattern I altered, but I haven't sorted out the maths or tested it - which is kind of important when releasing something into the wild that people may spend hard earned cash on the yarn to create. At some point I'll get in touch with the original artist who wrote the pattern I altered. If she consents to allowing me to use it in my pattern then we're on to a winner! I think it will be okay so long as I include her in the pattern credits. :)

• 3 months later...

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:Can't get it to work for me. Tried the embed code from Facebook - nope! Tried the photo URL on Facebook - computer says nah. Apologies for wasting y'alls time if you looked at this post. :/ :#

Facebook are not what you would call friendly to making stuff public, and the forums are a bit restricted in what they allow for security reasons.

Your best bet is probably uploading it to https://imgur.com/ and linking it from there.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:Can't get it to work for me. Tried the embed code from Facebook - nope! Tried the photo URL on Facebook - computer says nah. Apologies for wasting y'alls time if you looked at this post. :/ :#

Facebook are not what you would call friendly to making stuff public, and the forums are a bit restricted in what they allow for security reasons.

Your best bet is probably uploading it to
and linking it from there.

Thank you SlippyCheese, for your reply. I tried imgur once before and couldn't get it to work for me. Me and tech are not the best of friends, so no doubt there is an issue between my chair and keyboard. ;) *points at self

You might find the step by step guide in https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/853/guide-how-to-upload-post-your-own-images-on-these-forums helpful. It looks right to me. No pressure, of course, I just figured it might help out if you are still motivated on this. :)

Cool thing, by the way, since I don't think I said that you. I'm motivated for you to post it. ;)

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:Last attempt!tumblr_p9yn3koZTj1xw77ato1_540.jpg

Can't get it to work for me. Tried the embed code from Facebook - nope! Tried the photo URL on Facebook - computer says nah. Apologies for wasting y'alls time if you looked at this post. :/ :#

Boom!! Finally!! Thank you Slippy Cheeze!

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:That is awesome, and so worth the wait!

Thank you for encouraging me to persevere. I ended up creating a Tumblr account to run alongside my blog. I prefer the Tumblr T & Cs with regard to intellectual property rights over Imgur and Instagram. I didn't know much about Tumblr or how widely it is used - it will be a great tool for communicating with fellow creatives.

Thanks a bunch!! :D :3

• ArenaNet Staff

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:Last attempt!tumblr_p9yn3koZTj1xw77ato1_540.jpg

Can't get it to work for me. Tried the embed code from Facebook - nope! Tried the photo URL on Facebook - computer says nah. Apologies for wasting y'alls time if you looked at this post. :/ :#

These are wonderful! Thank you for posting them, Fizzypetal!

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:Last attempt!
tumblr_p9yn3koZTj1xw77ato1_540.jpg

These are wonderful! Thank you for posting them, Fizzypetal!

You're welcome @Gaile Gray.6029 ! It was your chat on the CSL that motivated me to give posting embedded images another go. When I failed again and expressed it here, @SlippyCheeze.5483 very kindly stepped up with a pointer and encouragement. My thanks again, to both of you! <3 :3 =)

Archived