Specific RYZEN question

Tiggers.3890

First, some disclaimers because I think people will (understandably) point to previous threads that discussed this specific topic, but my question is slightly different.

I'm updating my old rig. I've read the previous posts regarding Ryzen vs Intel and general consensus is that intel CPU's run GW2 better, and I get that. The problem is, I already committed to the Ryzen platform (already purchased a gigabyte auros ax-370 k7 mobo, I'm buying parts in bits and pieces, hoping and praying for ddr4 RAM prices to drop so I can get the rest of the pieces).

So yea, I know inherently ryzen won't run gw2 as well as intel, but hopefully runs better than what i am currently running (very outdated intel i5 3550), I'm having very annoying frame drops to the tune of going as "high" as 38 fps and then dropping to 10 and back to 26 and etc, very annoying.

So the question is, since I am committed to the ryzen platform, does it matter if I get the 1600x vs the 1800x, strictly from a gaming perspective? I don't do any streaming or rendering, the work that I do in my PC is very basic. I have no problems running most other games on steam on "high" settings -- I do have a 980 Ti (it's bottlenecked fairly hard with my i5 3550, i know, that's another reason why I'm updating my rig). I have the money saved up for either of those CPU's, so from a purely gaming perspective, should I go for the 1600x or 1800x? (I'm getting the x because I already purchased a fairly decent CPU cooler).

Appreciate any advice in advance!

I don’t know of any game using more than 6 cores effectively, so you are unlikely to see better gaming performance from an 8-Core running at the same speed as a 6-Core (or even 4-Core).

I’m using a Ryzen, and made a similar jump. I’m happy with it. (I needed Ryzen for work reasons, basically for the pcie lanes)

Looking at those other posts the input is a bit mixed. Some claim multi core isn’t working, but others got it to work with some adjustments on the cpu level (using overclocking tools to change the behavior). I do advice to use one with limited cores but high performance on each core. This cause you don’t gain much off the multi core. So the Ryzen 1600x looks like the best pick to me. 6 cores at 3,6 MHz. The 1800 is not worth it for gw2 as you won’t use the extra two cores.

GW2 is not able to use more than about 4 cores, both CPUs have the same single thread performance, both CPUs have more than 4 cores, so both CPUs will get you the same performance for GW2, so you can choose the cheaper one, which is probably the 1600x.

By the way, your old i5 3550 does also have the same single thread performance as the two Ryzen, so you might get no or no significant performance gain at all!

See comparison here:https : //www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3000&cmp[]=2966&cmp[]=825

(copy the link manually and remove the spaces around the : - the forum software creates a broken link from the & characters in the url)

You can get a 1700 for a little more than the 1600x. Unless you plan to really max out oc, binning wont matter too much.

Either way even so, I doubt you will see much improvement in GW2. It thrives on strong cores, not multithreading. Not that the Ryzen is a bad choice, quite the opposite (especially given the intel meltdown/spectre debacle)... but still. If you're getting one you might as well go 8c/16t.

I defn intend to put in at least a mild overclock on whatever skew I get, it's the entire point I splurged a bit on the mobo that's well reputed for good OC (granted it was on sale at the time) and got a better CPU cooler. If it doesn't run at least slightly better than my 2012 CPU that's 6 years outdated at this point I'm going to be suuuuuuper upset! I'm not expecting a locked 60 fps experience, as far as I understand almost no one has that even with top of the line equiptment, but if I get a consistent 40-50 fps I'll be happy. It's the rapid drop from 40 to 10 to 30 to 15 that's driving me insane.

The other thing is right now the prices for all three skews of Ryzen are within my budget that I have, people generally recommend 1600x because it is cheaper, I'm wondering if I get the 1700x or the 1800x would my performance actually be worse than the 1600x?

And finally, for those people who are running Ryzen, how is your experience running GW2 on it? Did you feel like it was a worthwhile investment (not just for GW2 but in general) or are you disappointed in the performance?

I run GW2 with Ryzen. I recently upgraded my PC and went with a Ryzen 3 1200 with small OC to 3.5GHz and I run GW2 at 60 FPS most of the time questing/dailies with occasional drops to 40, all settings to High except Anti-Aliasing off cause I never notice it anyways. I'm a new player (level 41), so I'm not sure where the best areas are to test FPS but I can go test if you give me some ideas. The biggest stress I've seen it undergo was during dailies where a ton of players gathered to kill a boss or do an event and it went down to 25-30, but that's understandable.

I purchased the 1200 because I'm not in need of a more powerful CPU for the games/applications I run, as with AA lowered I get consistent 60+ FPS . I'm content with using this CPU for the next few years or so considering it was so affordable. I mean, my RAM sticks cost me $50 more than it... haha. With stock cooler and basic case fans, it runs at less than 43 C with GW2 up and a bunch of Chrome tabs in background.

Specs:AMD Ryzen 3 1200MSI B350 Tomahawk2x 8GB DDR4-2400GTX 1060 3GB

As your specs will likely be better than that, I'm sure you'll get the FPS you're looking for whether you get 1600x or 1800x. I considered a 1600x too when I was buying my parts, but my partner suggested that there was no point in paying double the price when it's the first generation of Ryzen CPU's and I'll likely buy new parts in a few years.

For all the Ryzen haters. I have a Ryzen 1600 (not x) and an rx 580 graphic card.After a little fidling in the bios and win10 settings, i have 40-60 fps in LA and 80-130 fps on normal maps. All settings are high, except char model limit which is low and reflections turned off.All you have to do is set the power plan in win 10 to high, make sure your motherboard runs your ram on the right speed, turn off dpi scaling and overlock a lil bit. I run my Ryzen on 3500. I still havent updated the bios so probably my fps will go up a lil more.I think it is decent performance for the price considering that gw2 is far the worst case scenario for Ryzen processors. In other games they preform much much better.

Ohh and a lil additional information to the Rysen x processors. They dont include coolers which will cost you around 25-30 eur. And their stock coolers are superb really.

Archived