Elite Specializations and Weapon Choice

I would like the ability to use my unlocked weapons with either of the elite specializations.I like running around with my Guardian/Dragonhunter build using a longbow and mace/*, but would like to swap the mace with an axe (now only usable with the Firebrand). Or let my Necro/Scourge start slashing around with a greatsword (opened with the Reaper). You get the idea.I may even put in the caveat that a character must fully master both elites before the cross-over can be made. That’s doable and not totally unreasonable.I’m not asking for weapons the class cannot use at all – just allow them to be used more often.

Yeah, this has pop-up a couple times before and my answer was always the same.Decouple the Weapon Unlock "trait" (aka the first one) from the Specialization Line, and create a new spot where we "Equip" the weapon specialization (could be a slot above the weapon slots).This way not only would unlock Specialization weapons to all specializations, but would allow classes to reuse weapons and add new skills.Like imagine a new support class for Guardian that uses scepter, called "Supporter".Now if you want to go full support on that class, you equip the "Supporter Weapon Training" and you use the new Scepter skills.But if you want the current scepter DPS skills, you don't equip it, or equip the "Core Guardian Training" skill.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:I would like the ability to use my unlocked weapons with either of the elite specializations.I like running around with my Guardian/Dragonhunter build using a longbow and mace/*, but would like to swap the mace with an axe (now only usable with the Firebrand). Or let my Necro/Scourge start slashing around with a greatsword (opened with the Reaper). You get the idea.I may even put in the caveat that a character must fully master both elites before the cross-over can be made. That’s doable and not totally unreasonable.I’m not asking for weapons the class cannot use at all – just allow them to be used more often.

rifle on daredevil? yes please! (sure i lose the +20% crit for kneel. but fk deadeye traits. daredevil has so much better! plus utility)

GS on scourge or regular necro? ....ok maybe not because i love reaper shroud xD but still nice idea.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Yeah, this has pop-up a couple times before and my answer was always the same.Decouple the Weapon Unlock "trait" (aka the first one) from the Specialization Line, and create a new spot where we "Equip" the weapon specialization (could be a slot above the weapon slots).This way not only would unlock Specialization weapons to all specializations, but would allow classes to reuse weapons and add new skills.Like imagine a new support class for Guardian that uses scepter, called "Supporter".Now if you want to go full support on that class, you equip the "Supporter Weapon Training" and you use the new Scepter skills.But if you want the current scepter DPS skills, you don't equip it, or equip the "Core Guardian Training" skill.

So what you're saying is that no specialization has a set weapon assigned. You choose what you want after you hit the first 30 Hero Points unlocks that slot, go with that one, and a specific elite specialization training line comes up. I like the idea.I think a dual pistol wielding Necro/Reaper would be kind of fun.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Yeah, this has pop-up a couple times before and my answer was always the same.Decouple the Weapon Unlock "trait" (aka the first one) from the Specialization Line, and create a new spot where we "Equip" the weapon specialization (could be a slot above the weapon slots).This way not only would unlock Specialization weapons to all specializations, but would allow classes to reuse weapons and add new skills.Like imagine a new support class for Guardian that uses scepter, called "Supporter".Now if you want to go full support on that class, you equip the "Supporter Weapon Training" and you use the new Scepter skills.But if you want the current scepter DPS skills, you don't equip it, or equip the "Core Guardian Training" skill.

So what you're saying is that no specialization has a set weapon assigned. You choose what you want after you hit the first 30 Hero Points unlocks that slot, go with that one, and a specific elite specialization training line comes up. I like the idea.I think a dual pistol wielding Necro/Reaper would be kind of fun.

Not quite. I mean that the "weapon unlock" should be decoupled of the elite spec trait line, so you can use it without the elite. And you can select what weapon skills you're allowed through the "weapon training" slot.I wouldn't add a trait line to the weapons specifically.

Yeah this would be great. The weapons being locked behind the elite specs really feels terribly restrictive.And every time a new elite spec comes out many ppl feel horrible because of what new weapon they got or what weapon they've to give up for the new elite, which really can destroy the entire spec for them.

Having access to all weapons of your class after mastering the elites, no matter what specs you use would allow for much more interesting builds.

Also to the ppl claiming that it would be totally OP: In most, if not all cases you would lose certain synergies, or complete parts of the skills effects (holosmith sword for example) for the weapons. These weapons would work best with their elite spec but this doesn't mean that they have no potential to work great alongside other specs.

I agree with Ariurotl...Spec. Weapons are more powerful then core ones because the weapon empowerment trait is the 1st minor trait itself.If ANet allow this, in the hands of core class or other spec. the weapon skills will have to be nerfed.Before asking changes think on their cosequences, please.

@"Zedek.8932" said:Weren't people complaining about power-creep like crazy? And that elize specializations are supposed to be "sidegrades"?Suddenly the crowd chants to merge that? What is that all about? xD

Excelsior.

It's since the release that GW2 balance has problems, and it went always worst than the beginning ( Both SPvP and WvW. I don't know about PvE, but since you are vs AI i see no real problems at all ).

So, given the fact they don't care or are not able to develop or fix ( After HoT mystakes they managed to release PoF with spellbreaker, scourges, mirage and firebrands... even though the real issue concerns mostly only scourges and mirage ), why shouldn't players be ok with a similar feature?

There are always going to be balance problems. Unless everyone has the exact same skills & traits. Whatever issues there are with balance would be exacerbated exponentially with each new expansion, if ANet also had to factor in an additional weapon each time, rather than just an alternative.

Elite specializations are intended as specific variations of the core profession, not as a way of extending the core profession. Mirage varies from the core mesmer in variety of ways, including the addition of a second main-hand melee weapon, not with the addition of an arbitrary number of weapons.

One of the things that makes GW2 builds interesting is that we are forced to make choices.

@arenta.2953 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:The only class I can see liking this would be on Guardian.I sure as hell don't like... Revenant's shield, Ranger's staff, Thief's staff, Mesmer's Shield, and you can't pay me enough to use greatsword on a Necro.

what about a rifle daredevil?

I was a core thief until Deadeye. Honestly not a fan of Daredevil at all as the core traits felt more beneficial to me in the way I played Thief and felt like I lost much of that picking Daredevil.With Deadeye, I lost a little, but gained a bit I felt.Not aiming/going for meta/raid builds on Thief and more of "That works for me".Daredevil I did finally try like 2 weeks ago and I can say once again it's totally not for me.Deadeye I play with Rifle, Daggers, and Pistols. Steal is "eh" in my opinion.

Herald felt way off for me. Renegade seems a bit nicer, but still has something off with it... but I think I can blame that on the class itself as something feels really off with Revenant.

Druid feels too supportive for me even when I try going just offensive with it. I have nothing against people that like those type of classes, but it's not for me. The F5 was "meh" but the utilities were good. I can at least say I liked the utilities, but Soulbeast seems to give more of what I'm looking for.

Mesmer is/was a class I loathe. Leveling core I was hating like 75% of the time. I only started leveling it to help port my friends when they needed it for certain situations... then PoF announced and I tried Mirage and truly liked it. The reason is/was is that I'm still having a fight with Mirage as I more like have to learn how to use the class to deal with it's squishiness, but at least what I've seen and played felt "right" to me.After doing so I said "to hell with it" and tried a bit of Chrono... just like Druid it felt completely supportive and felt even weaker than Core Mesmer which.... I don't know how that's possible. I reaaally had to get off that and back on Mirage quickly.

Necro, just like Thief, I was core until Scourge showed up. Except for like one skill/utility (forgot which as I've never stayed on Reaper long), I really could not stand Reaper.I did not like Greatsword at all as it felt too slow and clunky. I had 1 attack to actually pull enemies in and I felt like I was playing fetch with what I want to fight. Things kept getting away, things running and moving out of certain spots from me (talking PvE btw) and the more enemies around, the more some stayed out of my reach which I just did not like.Reaper Shroud was nice, but that's really it. My dagger was always in my off-hand as once again I did not like playing "chase the target" when things went all over the place. Things have gotten more annoying for certain stuff in PoF like Djinn to even do that. Then... the nerf to Reaper's shroud and other things just made Reaper look... no... just no.At 1st I loathed Scourge as "Ew, why does it have no Shroud?" and felt like it would be way more squishy than Mesmer. After countless tweaks and changes and testing, I've gotten Scourge/Necro to be a side by side fave with my Thief, which used to be my top main class/character.

I can't say anything for Engineer as I flat out can't stand that class at all. There's nothing about that class I enjoy except maybe Grenades underwater. Warrior I simply don't like, but maybe I'll give Spellbreaker another change one day. Elementalist is one I completely hated BUT lately been thinking on giving it a 4th/5th/lost count chance.

Pretty much aim for classes/builds I can try to set up to hold out on my own against between close, mid, and ranged enemies when I need to. Especially if there's like 10+ of them at a time in the level 80+ areas.

My Deadeye has no problem surviving in the Forged area in Desolation soloing.Can't say the same for Daredevil.

Rather, i would also love to separate the elite specs special ability.The thief just gets an extra dodge, so that's alright. But the Mirage's loss of a dodge is terrible. Instead of dodging out of an AoE you are immune to it for a second and still have to walk out. And at times when playing in small groups i prefer to stay a normal necro since they have a shroud ability to save downed people out of AoE's.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Rather, i would also love to separate the elite specs special ability.The thief just gets an extra dodge, so that's alright. But the Mirage's loss of a dodge is terrible. Instead of dodging out of an AoE you are immune to it for a second and still have to walk out. And at times when playing in small groups i prefer to stay a normal necro since they have a shroud ability to save downed people out of AoE's.

Transfusion works with the other specs too. It's amazing on Scourge. You still have a 600 range Tele that's also an aoe Fear. Even better than that, as soon as the body is up, you can (instantly) clear/convert any incoming condis AND give them a Barrier so they make sure to get their heal popped. ;)

There are a lot of balance issues that would surface with this idea, but staff Deadeye would be absolutely amazing. I must has!

@"Zedek.8932" said:Weren't people complaining about power-creep like crazy? And that elize specializations are supposed to be "sidegrades"?Suddenly the crowd chants to merge that? What is that all about? xD

Excelsior.

Oh boy I can't wait to play mirage with a shield....It sure won't be a problem, balance wise xD

Archived