Underscore issue for a long time now

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Have you tried a -repair of the client?

I don't have the issue, and I've not seen other posts about it.

Good luck.

I don't see how it could be my client considering in the time that this glitch has been showing up I've formatted my computer twice. I made a small collage of some of the text. It also occurs in event updates that display across the screen as well as cinematics. For example when the meta event in Siren's Landing is completed it says "Shrine power_has been restored." And during the death sequence of the Mouth of Mordremoth it often says "No need_it's dying!"

Check the screenshot to see a few examples. They were taken from personal story cinematics as well as interacting with an npc and an object on the ground.

RdOT2Ho.jpg

I've never had that issue either. Not sure which font GW2 uses and if it uses a font on your system or one that is bundled in with the GW2.dat. If it is using one from your system then it is possible that the copy on your system happens to have a weird glyph for hypen that makes it look like an underscore.

@Khisanth.2948 said:I've never had that issue either. Not sure which font GW2 uses and if it uses a font on your system or one that is bundled in with the GW2.dat. If it is using one from your system then it is possible that the copy on your system happens to have a weird glyph for hypen that makes it look like an underscore.

Well, I've never noticed any problem in any other game with hyphens or underscores. And they appear normal everywhere else too on my computer. Not to mention my computer was wiped clean only 20 days ago. So there's actually very little installed. GW2, Nvidia drivers, Discord, Affinity Photo, Lightroom, Steam, Chrome, LibreOffice, Windows Updates. That's about it honestly. I guess I can try fiddling with some in-game settings but I don't see how it's going to make any difference considering it's been like this for a year. I guess I could try doing the client repair? Maybe my account keeps downloading a specific glitched font from their server and it specifically needs to be verified? It's not a huge deal just....weird.

@Khisanth.2948 said:If the font is from the GW2.dat a repair should fix it. It is unlikely that you can be downloading a glitched file since there is probably a file signature for every file. If it was glitched the signature will not match causing the file to be redownloaded.

Welp, I tried doing the client repair. Didn't change anything. I tried changing the language of the text and it didn't show any underscores. Only hyphens. So perhaps it's something wrong with the English settings. I've uninstalled the game and it's currently redownloading as well but I don't think that's going to make any difference at all. I guess for whatever reason hyphens for my account are changed to underscores in English.

In the past, some players had some issues with the text in-game, and, for them, it turned out to be a Windows setting. You could, possible, use a google-type search for oddities, and see if anything comes up.

Edit: I did a search, and all I came up with was some other users (a couple) with the same issue. No solution, though.

You can always try the CS Team.

Good luck.

Archived