Should boon be extremely powerful but........

corey.6451

Should they rework boon. To make it really powerful but have a really short duration.Example

Protection. reduce 80% physical damage, but have a 2 second duration max, with 100% boon duration 4s.

Regen. Regen now heal double the amount. But have 3 second base duration.

Retaliation. Now stack. And have 4 second base duration.Might. Double the power buff. But have a 4 second base duration.

Resistance. Now reduce conditions damage by 80%, and prevent further conditions aplications, and make it so it will always be the last boon to be corrupt. But have a 2-3 second duration.

All of this is just an example.

Oviously, some classes has alot of of these boon, so tweak it according.

From personal view. I think this would create a timing gameplay, on both offensive and defensive plays.

So timing your boon application to counter a certain situation. To create a good well play moment to shutdown a burst, or a coordinate play to counter defense and counter offense. Instead of the current permanent boons application.

Actually, some of the boons up there are good as they currently are I think.

And some of this changes would be overtune with some traits. Ex : Geomancer's Defense will allow to an ele under protection to receive... 90% less damages x) and in PvE, Elemental Shielding will allow to a tempest to be too much often under protection.

I personally think Regeneration is the only one boon which needs a buff in all cases, cause this boon heals less than some passives signets or traits. (even with a high Healing stat). To me, Regen needs to be more powerfull, but also more precious (I mean, a little less or shorter access/duration on it).

@Theros.1390 said:Actually, some of the boons up there are good as they currently are I think.

And some of this changes would be overtune with some traits. Ex : Geomancer's Defense will allow to an ele under protection to receive... 90% less damages x) and in PvE, Elemental Shielding will allow to a tempest to be too much often under protection.

I personally think Regeneration is the only one boon which needs a buff in all cases, cause this boon heals less than some passives signets or traits. (even with a high Healing stat). To me, Regen needs to be more powerfull, but also more precious (I mean, a little less or shorter access/duration on it).

But you're missing the point, im saying we should make boon really powerful but have an extremely short duration. above is just an example ( tweak it accordingly to the classes, because some atm can apply load of these boon. so if tempest have that 10% damage reduction, and the protection up time is 2 second for swapping to earth atunement, then if you apply that boon when see an incoming burst, in that 2 second you will reduce a massive amount of damage, so it a good play from your part, and if the other team just keep bursting on you it their fault for spamming in that 2s.But the main reason for this threat is to make boon more meaningful when applying it at the right time, rather then be a passive through out the fight. so tweak it so you can not get permanent boon up time.

I think that resistance is overpowered due to how binary it is. Making it a flat % reduction or stacking reduction instead of complete removal of condition effects would be a step in the right direction.

If a change like this were to happen I think it would be a good time to give more classes access to resistance too.

That and only a few boons could stack :) would be amazing

I always wanted guard shouts to be changed to be more than just for the boon stack than anything else...Skills that buff shoutsSkills that counter shoutsSkills that have effects which trigger when under the effects of a shoutSkills that have effects which trigger when using a shoutSkills renewing themselves when a shout endsSkills that have effects which trigger when a shout endshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/ShoutAnd this is only for shouts....

Resistance and stability should have their own separated mechanics from being boons, and resistance woul be condi damage reducing based on stats.. like barrier is vitality and healing power, resistance could be work with toughness and vitatlity.

@"pola.5832" said:Swiftness could give you an insane amount of speed, stability could also give you some dmg reduction against ccing attacks

not reallyhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Knock_downhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Speed_boost

Gw2 is actually a huge downgrade of gw1 with prety ornaments...

I think its a good idea to make boons work in that way. However they need to remove corrupting/boon removal from the game completely imo, and reduce invulns, blocks, cc's and passives across the board. I wouldnt make swiftness a super speed all of a sudden, but instead reduce the possibilities to get swiftness in general (in pvp)

No. Just nerfing the duration for like 50%, that would be good enough.

@Theros.1390 said:Actually, some of the boons up there are good as they currently are I think.

Regeneration doesn't need a buff, it's supposed to be used with healing power for maximum efficiency. I rather have passives being nerfed instead, so regeneration would be more valuable and people would need to press buttons to get healed.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I think its a good idea to make boons work in that way. However they need to remove corrupting/boon removal from the game completely imo, and reduce invulns, blocks, cc's and passives across the board. I wouldnt make swiftness a super speed all of a sudden, but instead reduce the possibilities to get swiftness in general (in pvp)

There is no need for nerf on boon corrupting, if you have short duration. Think about it. They will have to times your boon application to corrupt, and you have to times their corrupt to apply your boon.

No more boon spam = no more corrupt spam. Timing and situation play will be healthy for competitive.

@corey.6451 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I think its a good idea to make boons work in that way. However they need to remove corrupting/boon removal from the game completely imo, and reduce invulns, blocks, cc's and passives across the board. I wouldnt make swiftness a super speed all of a sudden, but instead reduce the possibilities to get swiftness in general (in pvp)

There is no need for nerf on boon corrupting, if you have short duration. Think about it. They will have to times your boon application to corrupt, and you have to times their corrupt to apply your boon.

No more boon spam = no more corrupt spam. Timing and situation play will be healthy for competitive.

No, thats wrong thinking, basically the Anet way of thinking. We need LESS, not more. We want to nerf boons, because theyre abundant, too easily applicable and with too long durations. So we want to reduce the amount of possibilities you have to applicate a boon. So if you do this, I'll have for example one opportunity to use resistance for 2 seconds every 40 seconds. You must be convinced that if you use it, it actually works. In other words: it can not be corrupted. If you make it possible to corrupt a 2-sec duration boon, it increases the ''randomness'' of the game. One of the reasons that GW2 is for many people so hard to watch on twitch/youtube is because they have no clue what is going on.

Boon corrupting skills have a casting time, and you have to realize as the corruptor that the opponent has a boon up. So lets say your casting time is 0.5 sec, and you have 0.5 sec to realize he has a boon up that you want to corrupt. So your timeframe to corrupt a boon is really short, ergo you will have to more randomly applicate corruptions in order to be effective. Conditions are already powerful on their own, they dont need an addition of corrupting. This game needs to get a lot less random and passive, and simplification of CERTAIN (so not all, by any means) things is therefore necessary. Why would it benefit the game if your 2-sec resistance can get randomly countered, if resistance is already a counter on its own? We consider boon removal necessary right now because boons are so abundant. If people have significantly less boons, boon removal is not benefitting the game anymore.

In general, boons should stack in intensity rather than duration. Make them work better as something players coordinate rather a something they spam to keep up at all time.

Increasing the duration of boons should come from Concentration, effects like traits and signets, and from skills and traits that restart or add to their duration like Sand Squall.

Partially agree. I could see some boons increasing in strength as a trade for shorter duration. However, the sheer amount of boon application needs to be nerfed as well.

You also can't go too far. If protection is 80% for a short time, it overlaps Aegis too much. Swiftness and superspeed would be identical. If retaliation becomes too strong, it's overly punishing against channeled attacks.

Archived