Match-up Thread?

MachineManXX.9746

There used to be a forum for trash-talking between opposing worlds. It's a nice idea, because people do like to poke fun at each other's strategies or perceived habits. But nearly all such threads turned into name-calling at best and it just turned into a moderation nightmare to address the mean-spirited and vile comments that people sometimes typed.

On these forums, people sometimes turn a straightforward question about WvW mechanics or policies into a matchup thread. For example, one person asks, "do we know when the next linkages will be announced?" and someone says, "linkages are horrid for the game" and someone else chimes in with, "yeah, there's no reason World A should be paired with World E" ... and it becomes a matchup thread with the next reply of "well, World A can't fight their way out of a plastic bag."

Thanks for the responses. For the record, I am actually trying to figure out what is, or is not an acceptable conversation.

I'm still a bit fuzzy though. So you can mention server names when talking general WvW stuff. But, you cannot mention server names if there is any competitive aspect to the conversation. I this correct?

@SugarCayne.3098 said:I miss match up threads. They galvanized the playerbase, even if they were high maintainance

Salt mines are great, they are what makes PvP modes the best thing in gaming history.

PvE is so lifeless, npcs don't have any variety in emotions. Without salty whispers and match up discussions, it feels like I'm just killing NPCs in WvW.

@KiloCharlieRomeo.1874 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:there are trolls who grieve others thru forums. ex. gw2wvw.net which is now dead because no moderation.

here, i hope we can talk matchup as long as it is civil.

Sov & his baby got rekted (well they rekted themselves) on the C@ncer-forums so he's mad about it, okie we understood.

:) You mean they got wrecked tying to wreck us. :) Was a blast. All them forum warriors. Only if they were 1/4 as good in game.

I remember a couple of years ago we rolled a t2 matchup for the week, it was unexpected because there was a tiny chance of it happening. We were up against FA and SoS. I made a thread saying, thanks guys for the great fights. That thread got closed in less then a day. Anet logic....

A matchup SHOULD be about an actual match taking place. For example, if someone from Borlis Pass or Sea of Sorrows complained Blackgate did "xyz" during the match, that would be a matchup thread. Instead, any conversation about worlds or comparing worlds is shutdown, even if the worlds are not in a match or even near the same tier. This is an act of suppressing customer feedback. It drove customers away from using the forums and likely drove players away from the game entirely.

It's not customer feedback when one customer is trying to argue how the other customer is an inferior person. That's just infantile posturing.

The reason why matchup threads like that are not allowed here is that moderating them is a waste of support staff time that could be much better spent by actually helping customers.

@"Ben K.6238" said:It's not customer feedback when one customer is trying to argue how the other customer is an inferior person.

When a customer is expressing a lack of updates to a game mode, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of population balance, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of transfer mobility, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of ability to build their Guild, that's customer feedback.

Conversations pertaining to such issues have been closed under the "match up thread" designation.

@DeWolfe.2174 said:

@"Ben K.6238" said:It's not customer feedback when one customer is trying to argue how the other customer is an inferior person.

When a customer is expressing a lack of updates to a game mode, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of population balance, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of transfer mobility, that's customer feedback.When a customer is expressing a lack of ability to build their Guild, that's customer feedback.

Conversations pertaining to such issues have been closed under the "match up thread" designation.

Yes, there's been quite a few threads that were more like feedback or questions about matchmaking that get closed as a match-up thread. I feel like the Mods don't have a reference of what a match-up thread is. Here's examples of what used to be "match-up threads":

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/3-1-3-8-TC-DB-Maguuma

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Magoonba-Fort-JANTHIR-Dragonbrand-25-01-2013

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Feb-8-FA-Mag-DB

Most of them would start out civil and by the end of the match there would be lots of bragging and kittentalking.

w3bingo.JPG

@coglin.1496 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There used to be a forum for trash-talking between opposing worlds. It's a nice idea,

Odd, I never considered promoting toxic discussion as "a nice idea".

First, the idea is nice; it's the execution that's problematic. And second, it actually worked okay for a little while. (How little the while might depend on where you draw the line between "trash talk" and "toxic discussion.") Anyhow, the point is that trash talk needn't be toxic; there's just always those two guys people who can't hold back.

Archived