Youtube and Gw2

zealex.9410

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Seeing as only like 4 people and maybe a walrus watches my videos, I'm safely unaffected.Thought it would've been some warning on losing your account or something stupid.Or if you are like me and just put in random music that result in every single video being copyright claimed and monetized for someone else (as long as the walrus likes it I'm fine with that).

I assume that system will still be in place even if the video get like 10 views.

People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now. Reality is the only serious youtube creator for GW2 is wooden potatoes. The rest is too small to get revenue big enough to make living out of it.

So if you see youtube creator leaving GW2 content because of these changes you can clearly see that such person was making content based on greed, not passion.

I don't have a youtube channel, very rarely watch videos of GW2 (or any game) but I am slightly concerned about this. Specifically that it will encourage people to pad out the length of walkthrough videos with even more pointless chatter over them panning the camera around their (stationary) character, simply to try and get the hours watched to increase.

Which, if I'm your viewer, would actually backfire. If your walkthrough video doesn't start with either the start of the thing you're supposed to be showing me or telling me things I need to know/do before I start I'm going to skip ahead to the actual walkthrough and if I can't find it quickly, or if you keep on stopping for pointless tangents, I'm going to close it down and find another walkthrough. If your video tells me it's about the jumping puzzle in Draconis Mons but it starts with you in Queensdale talking about what I might remember from the last "episode" I'll shut it down before the end of the sentence.

Maybe I'm the exception there and most people enjoy a walkthrough that's 50% walkthrough and 50% personal video diary, but that's my concern. It's hard enough to find decent walkthroughs when I need them and I don't want it to get worse.

@Danikat.8537 said:Maybe I'm the exception there and most people enjoy a walkthrough that's 50% walkthrough and 50% personal video diary, but that's my concern. It's hard enough to find decent walkthroughs when I need them and I don't want it to get worse.

Nah, you are not an exception, that's why Ayinmaiden's videos are popular. She doesn't give you any crap or stops to farm some plants while running to a place. She also cuts out fights that you get into in JPs. She knows nobody wants to see that.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:He mentioned That Shaman wouldn't be affected. But his work is mostly datamining, and making interlude videos. He doesn't make the 4000 hours quota (but easily the 1000 subscribers) so he jokingly made a slowmotion interlude video to crank up the minutes on his account

Yeah i told him that_shaman would be affected due to average vid leingth.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now. Reality is the only serious youtube creator for GW2 is wooden potatoes. The rest is too small to get revenue big enough to make living out of it.

So if you see youtube creator leaving GW2 content because of these changes you can clearly see that such person was making content based on greed, not passion.

Its good to see that you can slowly help your own livelyhood even a little bit by doing this. Some ppl go out of their way to create content and that little money are motivators.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Remember when youtube was just a hobby for some people? Money makes people greedy.I'm with Danikat, if a guide is posted, and there's too much rambling, I'll find another. People who post guides to help other players, should do it to help other players, NOT for monetisation via YT.

If someone wants to help other but also make some money in the side while doing it why is that bad? I say its the opposite its money that allow these ppl tk evolve and provide an even better service.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now. Reality is the only serious youtube creator for GW2 is wooden potatoes. The rest is too small to get revenue big enough to make living out of it.

Its good to see that you can slowly help your own livelyhood even a little bit by doing this. Some ppl go out of their way to create content and that little money are motivators.

But it's problem for youtube creators in general. Nothing is going to happen to GW2 because of this.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

But it's problem for youtube creators in general. Nothing is going to happen to GW2 because of this.

Not really. Creators who choose to cover games that are unpopular will have a tougher time because of it.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Not really. Creators who choose to cover games that are unpopular will have a tougher time because of it.

Their income is already irrelevant. They would do 30 USD a year which means they would be able to monetize it only after 3 years as youtube payment treshold is 100 USD

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Their income is already irrelevant. They would do 30 USD a year which means they would be able to monetize it only after 3 years as youtube payment treshold is 100 USD

Yes and that demotivating for anyone who wants to get bigger on youtube.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Remember when youtube was just a hobby for some people? Money makes people greedy.I'm with Danikat, if a guide is posted, and there's too much rambling, I'll find another. People who post guides to help other players, should do it to help other players, NOT for monetisation via YT.

If someone wants to help other but also make some money in the side while doing it why is that bad? I say its the opposite its money that allow these ppl tk evolve and provide an even better service.

You’re missing my point. The relationship is symbiotic. It a YT’er uploads content that is liked, they will gain more from it, and upload more content. It’s one thing doing something because you enjoy it, another doing something because you’re paid to do so.Those YT’ers that already upload content because they enjoy doing so, don’t do it for the money, and won’t stop because of these changes (because either they are over the new thresholds anyway, which seems like YTs attempt to prevent profits from old content(re-uploads), or because they don’t care about the money in the first place).

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

It's like this before the change. I don't believe you will find a person doing videos because of 100 USD once per 3 years.

If any, this is a motivation to keep trying ang growing bigger.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

It's like this before the change. I don't believe you will find a person doing videos because of 100 USD once per 3 years.

U will hardly grow bigger in unpopular games thats the issue.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

But it has nothing to do with monetization rules. GW2 only creators would never become big even if these changes weren't implemented.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

You’re missing my point. The relationship is symbiotic. It a YT’er uploads content that is liked, they will gain more from it, and upload more content. It’s one thing doing something because you enjoy it, another doing something because you’re paid to do so.Those YT’ers that already upload content because they enjoy doing so, don’t do it for the money, and won’t stop because of these changes (because either they are over the new thresholds anyway, which seems like YTs attempt to prevent profits from old content(re-uploads), or because they don’t care about the money in the first place).

Youtube is not the olace that u do videos for hobby idd pplwant to make utube their job. Im not saying they should be sustainable to start from day one but if it takes you 3-4 years to make it a bigger part of your life bcause its gw2 then thats a slap in the face imo.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

But it has nothing to do with monetization rules. GW2 only creators would never become big even if these changes weren't implemented.

In due time prob they could.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

So what's stopping them now? and please don't say that 100 USD every 3 years is crucial to their growth

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

So what's stopping them now? and please don't say that 100 USD every 3 years is crucial to their growth

Idk their irl life might be tight as it is and they could very well rely on utube money to up their utube game (buying better mic, cam, small stuff that will help them inprove more).

Archived