Thief need to be change.

Shadowcat.4397

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wich skill are you talking about? this could be backstabs on low thoughness target or DJ on very high thoughness target.

complaining about backstab being able to oneshot i can understand as there is pretty much no counterplay only prediction, if you want to complain about DJ please necro an old thread so we dont need to copy paste the replies from there.

what are you talking about DE is the weakest in the game. it’s a skill base class including rev and warrior. rest of the classes can just spam the crap out of condi like necro and Mesmer, ranger, ele, and get kills lolThief is all about GETTING THE JOB DONE (GGWP) and rotate which player seem to not understand. they do not fight in groups but QUICK STOMP to reduce more confusion during battle sending them to there graves. get in and get out.DE is strong but are the weakest, if you fail to apply pressure on a 11k HP thief then there is something wrong with your skill and might need some practice understanding classes. DE are easy to take down in 1-2 hits due to the amount of power and critical percentage damage added to their build which requires the lack of Survivability and health amount also DE has no condi clean. if you see a player doing a great job with their class it mean they took the time to understand, defend and when to attack well as understanding traits... there nothing wrong with thief. cause we can say the same with NECRO MASSIVE AOE which takes over the size of the Capture point as you can just STAND THERE AND SPAM Stacks of condition every second get a kill and Mesmer lame condition stacks while players running viper amulet. Also, Engineer Heavy burst damage.

Overall thief is fine, it’s all about skill based. I have seen players own 2 vs 1 as thief..... which is sad.. against heavy class players and power classes then again, any game is played by skill and not being a noob spamming expecting a kill.i main rev and this season I never had a problem killing NEW elites as they are tough to fight against. especially necro...guard condition stacks, healers, and warriors (easy to kill but requires work and time with Shiro unlockable skill) as rev has no condition clean looool. and it’s not META but still get the job done, supports boons, CC and most of all Heavy burst with the cost of Survivability. Every fight is a lesson learned for all classes.

If the first DJ, assuming they were a DE, was able to kill you outright, I'm assuming that A. You're running a low Toughness build, or didn't have Prot up. B. They marked you prior, and had at least 4 stacks of Malice before firing at you, which means you saw yourself being marked, and thus knew they were targeting you. C. You didn't employ any kind of defensive measure against them, when they use DJ, it reveals them immediately, no matter what, and even when using Quickness there is still plenty of time to react or dodge even if you don't see them, as there's an obvious sound cue. The other issue is if they took and hit you twice, it means they just consumed roughly 10-12 Initiative (Depending on game mode) to do it. 5-6 on the first shot, 5-6 on the second, meaning if you had an ally with you, or one came along shortly afterwards, they'd be a sitting duck unless they slipped back into stealth again and ran. Which if it's in conquest, means they're not doing anything to contribute to a team. In WvW it means they're just gonna roam and to the same exact thing again. Additionally if you were able to deny the first DJ, or managed to dodge or survive the first shot and they tried for a second, they'd be at a heavy disadvantage against you due to the same lack of initiative, and would be forced to run away and reset the fight, or stealth and wait out the ini regen, and likely have to re-mark you.

Any kind of projectile block/destruction/reflect works incredibly well against Rifle, as well as the fact that if they do NOT mark you, DJ is going to do a decent amount of damage still, but it will be laughable compared to what they'd do if they did mark you. They'd be better off spamming you with Double Tap / Three Round Burst for the Might Generation. There's also a significant lack of mobility when using Rifle. Or if they have it, they're sacrificing other utilities to grant it to themselves (Base Thief utils still give fair amounts of mobility, DE just lacks it in its' set), which means lowering their overall damage. Instead of calling for nerfs, I'd familiarize yourself with your adversary, as the more you know about what killed you, the better prepared you will be to counter/punish it when you end up meeting it again.

Listen for sound cues (It has a sort of laser-esk charge-up sound before the initial shot.) Look for the visual effects (When targeted by it, if not dumbed down by other skill effects, there will be a laser-line going from their location, to you. Like a laser sight.) If you have been marked, how much time has passed since you got marked? If they're sitting in stealth, depending on what trait they take, it takes 3-4s to passively generate a stack of Malice, up to a cap of between 5-7. Each stack of Malice granting DJ an additional 15% damage, stacking additively. Once Malice hits its' cap as well, it grants a DE a significant amount of boons, most notably, 10 Stacks of Might, and Fury, as well as Protection (The only means of a Thief of EVER granting themselves protection outside of Rune Procs or Boon Steals). Additionally if they're sitting in stealth, they'll likely be using Shadow Meld as their elite, further increasing the likelihood of them not being able to land the DJ, as they'll have no means of making the attack unblockable. I.E. Basi Venom. Check the environment as well, is there room for them to attack you from a blind spot? Is there elevation that gives them a clear shot to extend their range? If they're at least generally seasoned with how to play Thief, or have generally played any kind of stealth Sniper, they'll choose to flank, likely from a vantage point to (One with limited access, and likely denial to teleports/shadow steps), rather than attack you head on. Otherwise they're just asking for failure.

@Shadowcat.4397 said:kitten ... 36k dmgin 2 shot (17k and 19 k kitten) kitten nerf that . 1st shot kill me ... that is broken... That need to be nerft !!!!

You do realize in order to do that much damage, we only have like 13k hp right? So you can two shot us just like we can two shot you. It's all about dodging the hard hitters and closing the gap. This seems like an issue with player skill

@Shadowcat.4397 said:kitten ... 36k dmgin 2 shot (17k and 19 k kitten) kitten nerf that . 1st shot kill me ... that is broken... That need to be nerft !!!!

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.

1. your low toughness/armor
  2. they were allowed to get deadeye's mark to full charge (Aka you were marked and didn't do something like run away, or use a stealth trap. and so you sat there while they kept their initative at full)
  3. you didn't evade when the telltale red marker light appeared for half a secound before the first attack
  4. you didn't evade when the telltale red marker light appeared for half a secound before the 2nd attack
  5. you didn't use any kind of block or evade
  6. you didn't use a stun/daze/fear/knockdown/knockback/blind
  7. you didn't use any AoE to find the stealthed thief that you know is there because you have a mark above your head slowly charging (WHICH YOU CAN SEE)
  8. when deadeye mark changed from a dull red orb to a brightly flashing red DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC orb, you didn't evade like the warning light told you.

in summary, congratz. you sat in the middle of the railroad tracks.you saw the train light coming, you heard it coming, you saw the light get brighter and brighter.

and you just sat there as it not only hit you once. but hit you a 2nd time as well.

i can't w8 till you tell us about when a Mesmer 1 shots you with mindwrack.

@arenta.2953 said:i can't w8 till you tell us about when a Mesmer 1 shots you with mindwrack.

Sadly, if you read that thread right now, evidently people are supposed to use a stunbreaker and then dodge the follow up damage after being hit from stealth for ~15K damage (thus avoiding a total of 25K damage). If you can't do that, then it's a l2p issue evidently.

@Jiminy.8340 said:

@"arenta.2953" said:i can't w8 till you tell us about when a Mesmer 1 shots you with mindwrack.

Sadly, if you read that thread right now, evidently people are supposed to use a stunbreaker and then dodge the follow up damage after being hit from stealth for ~15K damage (thus avoiding a total of 25K damage). If you can't do that, then it's a l2p issue evidently.

ok and thats backstab, not a deadeye issue. cause thats just thief in general.

deadeye needs to wait for malice to get full. which (if your not attacking) will take ~20 secounds. during which time the thief will need to remain stealthed, close to the target.

meanwhile the target has 20 secounds to notice the red orb over their head, and either move away, get block rdy, get evade rdy, or some other form of defense.

and the target will know when malice is full cause the red orb will change to a very bright flashy orb. that is basicalyl saying "INCOMING"

or just have soem toughness in their build so they aren't a glass cannon.

Oh, I fully agree with you.

I'm just saying you explained how the DE is not a major issue due to the amount of time and circumstances that need to happen for a OHKO. Mesmers on the other hand have no tell from stealth and it's over in under a second (regardless of toughness due to vulnerability stacking) unless you stunbreak and dodge in that 500ms. Even then, you still take 15K damage.

I agree stealth BS thief is also broken - but at least afterwards they're a sitting duck to your party members, unlike Mesmer who has a few tricks still up their sleeve.

OHKO backstab is only really strong on D/P due to the same reason as the mesmer; it has no tell and can engage and then disengage via stealth.

D/D OHKO only really nukes people consistently who are either not paying attention to their surroundings or can't react quick enough to dodging after the CnD, and the kit is crazy weak afterwards if it can't succeed the burst.

Whether or not it's healthy design... well, they'd have to rework the entirety of D/D and numerous passives, then, because the kit itself is otherwise just downright horrible; the OHKO D/D build is outright negated by most passives, be it from CC reflection cancelling CnD or auto-proc immunity effects when losing health from the Mug/CnD.

@arenta.2953 said:

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
  2. they were allowed to get deadeye's mark to full charge (Aka you were marked and didn't do something like run away, or use a stealth trap. and so you sat there while they kept their initative at full)
  3. you didn't evade when the telltale red marker light appeared for half a secound before the first attack
  4. you didn't evade when the telltale red marker light appeared for half a secound before the 2nd attack
  7. you didn't use any AoE to find the stealthed thief that you know is there because you have a mark above your head slowly charging (WHICH YOU CAN SEE)
  8. when deadeye mark changed from a dull red orb to a brightly flashing red
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC
    orb, you didn't evade like the warning light told you.

in summary, congratz. you sat in the middle of the railroad tracks.you saw the train light coming, you heard it coming, you saw the light get brighter and brighter.

and you just sat there as it not only hit you once. but hit you a 2nd time as well.

Always these biased players...

Okay let's add some objectivity to this thread:

• When a Mesmer stealthes up you know you are bursted within the next 3 seconds. Pretty easy to predict. On top of that it's multiple hits meaning the auto immunities of many classes will save you.
  • When a Deadeye starts his mindgames, you have abolutely no idea when he will attack you.

And here comes the rant:A DJ in WvW oneshots a Marauder Reaper through Shroud. That's 17+25=42k HP. But I guess that's not a problem at all to you. Just be super focused for about 30s the mark is on you and dodge an attack on a 0.75s cast time. I mean that's a huge amount of time to react even if it's less than 0.5s because of Quickness. Everyone can do this. And there is even a sound. Come on - if there is a sound even noobs should react in 0.5s! How could anyone call this bad game design? Hell every competitive game should work exactly like this! 30 seconds mindgames, then oneshot (or just walk away - for the lols). Great!

Thank you Thief (aka most healthy class in the game) forum for the clarification! We love you.

@KrHome.1920 said:

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC

• When a Mesmer stealthes up you know you are bursted within the next 3 seconds. Pretty easy to predict. On top of that it's multiple hits meaning the auto immunities of many classes will save you.
  • When a Deadeye starts his mindgames, you have abolutely no idea when he will attack you.

And here comes the rant:A DJ in WvW oneshots a Marauder Reaper through Shroud. That's 17+25=42k HP. But I guess that's not a problem at all to you. Just be super focused for about 30s the mark is on you and dodge an attack on a 0.75s cast time. I mean that's a huge amount of time to react even if it's less than 0.5s because of Quickness. Everyone can do this. And there is even a sound. Come on - if there is a sound even noobs should react in 0.5s! How could anyone call this bad game design? Hell every competitive game should work exactly like this! 30 seconds mindgames, then oneshot (or just walk away - for the lols). Great!

Thank you Thief (aka most healthy class in the game) forum for the clarification! We love you.

Super focused? Considering the average human reaction-time hovers around 0.25 to 0.3 on a visual cue, and even lower on an audible-cue, it's really not that much to ask for players to be attentive enough to avoid a shot that is telegraphed for 0.75 + projectile travel-time seconds with both a highly visual- and audible cue to aid your timing.

You get plenty of warning, both before and during the shots. If you choose not to do anything about it that's on you, and not the game.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Shadowcat.4397" said:kitten ... 36k dmgin 2 shot (17k and 19 k kitten) kitten nerf that . 1st shot kill me ... that is broken... That need to be nerft !!!!

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC

Erm not biased at all. A guildy was rageing at the same thing about dead eye being "hard to dodge ect" until I showed him in guildhall arena and explained exactly what's going on with the dead eye. Took the guy 10 mins to fully understand how to dodge DJ and what sort of style they are playing (stealth camp or range kite dps) and that's with him not even playing the class

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Shadowcat.4397" said:kitten ... 36k dmgin 2 shot (17k and 19 k kitten) kitten nerf that . 1st shot kill me ... that is broken... That need to be nerft !!!!

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC

most healthy class in game?

must be why Deadeye is all the rage in fractals, raids, wvw, and spvp

i mean...its not as if showing up as a deadeye gets you kicked from tier 3 or 4 fractalslaughed and kicked from raidscauses your team to rage quit at start of match in spvpand asked to play "any other class" in wvw

even solo wvw, its weak.

keep in mind how easy it is to avoid ranged attacks.blocks, reflects, evade, put a tree between you and them

also auto immunities also work to stop deadeye, as they rely on burst since their survivabiltiy is zip. and tend to run once int is gone.

but please, do show me a video where a deadeye 1 shots a marauder reaper through shroud. proove it (and i mean a video. not a screenshot of you in 0 armor)

Death's Jugement is a 1.65 dmg skillplus 105% dmg (if you go for 7 malice)

guess what, thats not that great for a skill that takes a massive 21 secound set up time. loses all mobility, and can be defeated by any obsticle.

so yeah. deadeye is EPIC. /sarcasm

why is why EVERYONE REFUSES TO TAKE ONE. such epicness.

@arenta.2953 said:

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC

even solo wvw, its weak.

Yeah no. This is not true at all.

@Turk.5460 said:

ok lets see

first off, for that dmg.
    DO SOMETHING LIKE PANIC

even solo wvw, its weak.

Yeah no. This is not true at all.

aye sorry, i ment weak vs other solo classes like daredevil and thief and so on.

its reliance on malice just hurts it so much. and the rifle is of no help

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Jiminy.8340 said:I'm just saying you explained how the DE is not a major issue due to the amount of time and circumstances that need to happen for a OHKO.

That kitten poor consolation for the dude that got OHKO'ed

say that to everyone who gets mesmer bombedor mesmer condi bombed (yeah. 2 different things.....surprise)

or knock down spammed by a hammer guardian or warrior

or eaten alive by scourge condi spam

none of whom need the 21 secound set up time, in which the target can see the target marker above their head for those 21 secounds

and then see the highly telegraphed attack as the target painter tells you exactly when to dodge before the attack comes.

add to that this is negated by any block, reflect, invuln, auto use invuln(which is used oh so heavily in classes now), evasion, moving out of range, or moving behind an obsticle

if you dislike being burst down, then don't be a glass cannon. bring some utility, or movement.

or have a friend.

or, in the case of elementalist(not sure if other classes have this) the ability to disable crit hits on you ENTIRELY by trait.

A DE Solo thief can do very well against specific classes. That said a DE solo thief is not going to rely on DJ overly much in order to have that success. They will either use Rifle in conjunction with another set , or use skills other than DJ.

As to a Necromancer , I had suggested taking CPC if DE that big a threat. CPC neutralizes the DE rifle build quite effectively IF the Necromancer would bother to take some time understanding how malice works. the 8 seconds offered by CpC will protect the Necro right through the greatest potential damage offered by the DJ up to Malice reset.This stuff about having to be super focused for 30 seconds is nonsense and demonstrates a distinct lack of knowledge as to how DJ works. The time right after a mark is NOT going to result in those big DJ shots. If a thief just waits to setup the shot it will over 15 seconds to gain full malice. Reset occurs at 25 seconds.

When this was suggested a number of Necromancers complaining about how OP DJ was indicated "They had better skills to take in place of CPC". This is all but admitting that the claims of an OP skill are just hype. They would rather die to the skill and then run to complain than do something about countering the skill with the tools available.

@"babazhook.6805" said:A DE Solo thief can do very well against specific classes. That said a DE solo thief is not going to rely on DJ overly much in order to have that success. They will either use Rifle in conjunction with another set , or use skills other than DJ.

As to a Necromancer , I had suggested taking CPC if DE that big a threat. CPC neutralizes the DE rifle build quite effectively IF the Necromancer would bother to take some time understanding how malice works. the 8 seconds offered by CpC will protect the Necro right through the greatest potential damage offered by the DJ up to Malice reset.

When this was suggested a number of Necromancers complaining about how OP DJ was indicated "They had better skills to take in place of CPC". This is all but admitting that the claims of an OP skill are just hype. They would rather die to the skill and then run to complain than do something about countering the skill with the tools available.CPC is a wasted utitlity slot against any class - especially Thief, that spams laughs for your poor defense attempt while kiting you for that 8 seconds.

To destroy most Deadeyes as a Necro just go Full Zerk Axe+Focus. The Deadeye has to be one of the Top 10% of Thieves in the game to outkite your burst. Focus5 and Axe2 are low cooldown and devastating to him (Axe2 even channels through Stealth). Chill of Death will almost instakill him at 50% health - because thankfully Deadeyes use a lot of Boons.

Then you have a fun match. He can oneshot you and you can oneshot him. You can burst more often but he has more mobility. At this point we talk about who is the more skillful player.

CPC... laughing my ass of. What Deadeyes are you fighting? Bronze Tier, or maybe even Silver?

This stuff about having to be super focused for 30 seconds is nonsense and demonstrates a distinct lack of knowledge as to how DJ works. The time right after a mark is NOT going to result in those big DJ shots. If a thief just waits to setup the shot it will over 15 seconds to gain full malice. Reset occurs at 25 seconds.It's not funny when Bronze players like you want to teach me how to play the game!

Do you even roam?

You have obviously no idea what you are talking about. There is no need to wait for full Malice. If you just hit a Necro for 80% of his health (because Malice is not fully stacked) you are still going to win because there is no way for him to recover. Do you think a Deadeye is a sitting duck waiting for you to kill him after he fired his DJ? Well maybe the Bronze Deadeyes you are fighting are...

CPC will help you against a deadeye that is only using DJ, nothing else.if i keep attacking i will have more then 8s time on max malice and the nekro might not even be able to tank all the damage till max malice. and with CPC i can still preassure with CB that can hit upwards of 10k. if he is full marauder/berserk i might even be able to oneshot him with a backstab outside of shroud as i hit power mesmer quite often around 22k, wich is more then nekro base hp and only slightly less then nekro with marauder. î mostly play it safe with rifle against nekro but if i happen to run into a glassy nekro the next days i can try backstabbing, should get same numbers as against mesmers tho.

only real chance as nekro to kill a deadeye would be to bait the deadeye into 'melee' combat by utilizing LoS. but you cannot do that everywhere and it requires the deadeye to be greedy.

fighting on ground with no valid path can also end deadly , my only stunbreak is a teleport on deadeye.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"babazhook.6805" said:A DE Solo thief can do very well against specific classes. That said a DE solo thief is not going to rely on DJ overly much in order to have that success. They will either use Rifle in conjunction with another set , or use skills other than DJ.

As to a Necromancer , I had suggested taking CPC if DE that big a threat. CPC neutralizes the DE rifle build quite effectively IF the Necromancer would bother to take some time understanding how malice works. the 8 seconds offered by CpC will protect the Necro right through the greatest potential damage offered by the DJ up to Malice reset.

When this was suggested a number of Necromancers complaining about how OP DJ was indicated "They had better skills to take in place of CPC". This is all but admitting that the claims of an OP skill are just hype. They would rather die to the skill and then run to complain than do something about countering the skill with the tools available.CPC is a wasted utitlity slot against any class - especially Thief, that spams laughs for your poor defense attempt while kiting you for that 8 seconds.

To destroy most Deadeyes as a Necro just go Full Zerk Axe+Focus. The Deadeye has to be one of the Top 10% of Thieves in the game to outkite your burst. Focus5 and Axe2 are low cooldown and devastating to him (Axe2 even channels through Stealth). Chill of Death will almost instakill him at 50% health - because thankfully Deadeyes use a lot of Boons.

Then you have a fun match. He can oneshot you and you can oneshot him. You can burst more often but he has more mobility. At this point we talk about who is the more skillful player.

CPC... laughing my kitten of. What Deadeyes are you fighting? Bronze Tier, or maybe even Silver?

This stuff about having to be super focused for 30 seconds is nonsense and demonstrates a distinct lack of knowledge as to how DJ works. The time right after a mark is NOT going to result in those big DJ shots. If a thief just waits to setup the shot it will over 15 seconds to gain full malice. Reset occurs at 25 seconds.It's not funny when Bronze players like you want to teach me how to play the game!

Do you even roam?

You have obviously no idea what you are talking about. There is no need to wait for full Malice. If you just hit a Necro for 80% of his health (because Malice is not fully stacked) you are still going to win because there is no way for him to recover. Do you think a Deadeye is a sitting duck waiting for you to kill him after he fired his DJ? Well maybe the Bronze Deadeyes you are fighting are...

You failed to comprehend the post. The complaint being made was about a single shot that can hit for 42k as per a post YOU made. I point out how EASY that is to counter using CPC and you just VERIFIED what I said. The reason you do not use it is because DJ is not an issue.

I kill Necroes all the time on my DE and I doi not need to use DJ. You can do more damage, that is harder to dodge off things like TRB.

You complained in a post about DJ and then in your followup all but admit that it the thief ability to kill scourge has little to do with DJ. Be consistent. DID DJ hit you for 42k or not? Is it a number you just made up?

Archived