Sword Dagger (No not the condi one)

Majirah.5089

So, with all the numerous threads about condi sword dagger I thought I'd start a more positive. Keeping in mind that this is from a PvP point of view.

I've only been around for a little over a year so I don't know what power sword dagger used to be like, but reading the forums it seems like it used to be awesome. I have played a lot of thief builds and have found all of them to be pretty fun. Unfortunately I just don't like dagger pistol. I also prefer power over condi. So, I decided to give power sword dagger a go and wow is it a lot of fun.

It has very good burst and I feel like I have more staying power than on dagger pistol. I don't feel as mobile, but can still get around okay. I've been having so much fun with power sword dagger that I haven't even tried the condi version and have no interest in it.

It may not be the best build. But it gets the job done and is super fun. So, why not talk a bit about the power version. Anyone else have a blast playing it?

Haven't been able to play s/d since the notorious nerf of 2015. I've been having a ton of fun playing it again! It's actually (in my opinion) more mobile than d/p. Combine infiltrator's strike with steal and you have 1200 + 900 range teleport to your target. It's a lot of fun to come from 2100 range to interrupt a stomp/rez, or just make a surprise entrance to +1. It's been really fun with Daredevil's Dash dodge trait, but these past couple weeks I've been running core s/d trying to force myself to get comfortable with losing my beloved Dash dodge. Gotta get prepared for Dead eye s/d!

Always loved it as a soft counter to boon builds. The idea of taking what's theirs and making it yours, then beating them across the head with their own buffs entertains me to no end. Also, I just love the way S/D moves. Just a shame that the sword's 2-2 skill is no longer an integrated stunbreak. It wasn't like the configuration ever had anywhere near the kind of burst D/X has.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Larcenous_Strike/historyhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strikehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator%27s_Strike/historyhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator%27s_Return/history

The whole set that has had a kitten load changes to it, and now they are staring to roll back on those previous nerfs with some extra buffs.

They just need to I feel remove that cast time on shadow return and reduce the initiative cost of larcenous strike back down to 1

For how powerful and how frequently used Larcenous Strike is right now due to Flanking Strike unblockable buff - I think it is fine to stay at its current initiative cost. It's already very easy to spam, and I feel like if that chain gets buffed any further, some hard nerfs might come down later.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:L strike can rival back stab damage with the right set up.

I haven't managed to hit quite that hard on a marauder set without Might, but when you do get lucky and steal a large stack of might, I've seen Larcenous Strike hit in the 8000s. It's quite wonderful.

I may not have the most optimal build but I've gotten 10.5k several times with assassin signet when I mess around with that one.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:Hah, I ought'a try that out.. Just a bit hesitant to sacrifice the utility from Roll for Initiative or Blinding Powder for more damage.

Yeah the load out I have done lately is: assassin signet, haste, shadow step, and basilisk venom. What I've done is pop BV, then assassin signet, and haste then sword 2 in and spam auto and FS/LS. Port out with sword 2 and steal in.

I actually killed a guardian in 2 sword 3 chains because both LS hit for over 9k. With haste it makes it super fast.

@Majirah.5089 said:

Yeah the load out I have done lately is: assassin signet, haste, shadow step, and basilisk venom. What I've done is pop BV, then assassin signet, and haste then sword 2 in and spam auto and FS/LS. Port out with sword 2 and steal in.

I actually killed a guardian in 2 sword 3 chains because both LS hit for over 9k. With haste it makes it super fast.

I've been running a tanky S/D with marauder armor, cavalier & zerk trinkets and durability runes; with acro you get 36% boon duration, enough to get 12s quickness from the rage sigil and burst of agility trait on engage. Works well, I still hit 7-9k LS strikes on glassy targets, depending on might.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:L strike can rival back stab damage with the right set up.

I haven't managed to hit quite that hard on a marauder set without Might, but when you do get lucky and steal a large stack of might, I've seen Larcenous Strike hit in the 8000s. It's quite wonderful.

Executioner & quickness really synergizes well with S/D. When your target is <50% health you steal & larcenous strike to get +50% in damage modifiers.

@babazhook.6805 said:Quickness is ideal for the s/x build.. Mix in with trickster trait. SOA , RFI and Haste on the utility bar along with the withdraw heal and there oodles of cleanse.

I've been playing the core s/d build as Acro/TR/DA and it is really good as you described but I use Shadowstep in place of Haste.

Archived