Class specific quests...

Nosajroo.2154

How come the old guild wars has class specific quests but this one doesn't. Your class just feels like a tool to get along the story of the game, doesn't feel like its a significant part of your character story-wise. Hopefully in the future, they can consider doing that for the game.

As an RPG, I think we're supposed to project those details onto our own character - though I will admit, the game does seem a bit lite on details like how classes are trained and where to find them.

Have you tried hitting up the elite spec tutors in PoF? It's not character specific, but each of them seems to have some backstory on their profession and a tie-in event. If you're feeling sentimental, you could even interpret the ascended profession weapon collection as your character's "quest" to learn and refine their elite spec.

I suspect the actual answer is game mechanics. In GW1 finding an obtaining skills was a big part of building up your character, so it made sense to have special quests for each profession. They also had quite detailed tutorials, which is apparently something they wanted to avoid in GW2 because at least some people at Anet didn't like it, they just thought it was necessary.

But there are places where your profession makes a difference, they're just more subtle than dedicated quests. For example one of the new side stories involves helping an asuran build a portal detector and if you're playing an engineer you have the option to tell him you know about building machinery and help him do it instead of waiting for it to be finished.

Honestly, there hasn't been a class-specific quest after leaving Ascalon in Prophecies. By the time we get to Yak's Bend, there were still some quests that taught skills, but they were more generic quests that all classes could participate in and taught one skill for the primary class and one skill for the secondary class. Even the class-change professions in the Crystal Desert were more "anything BUT X" than specific to a profession.

Now, back when the game was first being written, there were supposed to be class-specific content. Each profession would have learned their traits by going out into the world and interacting in their special way. However, it was decided that having content only a specific class could participate in was hurtful to the overall game. I don't remember the specific details, but it amounted to something like "why make content that only 1/8th of the player base would participate in?" There's still a remnant of class-specific content, though, with a certain grave out by Serenity Temple which necromancers can interact with to summon Priestess Rashenna, which probably would've given necromancers a trait. There might be others out there, but very few if any.

I can understand why there aren't more variations like this, but I'll take the small slivers we've been seeing lately, like the Return to Caudecus's Manor or the Escape from the Mordant Crescent Jail. Even small variations for race and class that we periodically see is a touch most MMOs out there don't provide, and while I'd like to see a ton more, I'll be happy just stumbling across the easter eggs that are out there.

Because there are no quests at all in GW2.

Which I think has caused a failing for the game, and why they've gone to making "psuedo-quests" in the form of achievement storylines (which, incidentally, are widely loved).

There are quite a few profession specific dialogues and the like, but not entirely many.

Not sure what Rognik is going on about - such things never really happened nor did I ever see any such thing in the earlier betas of the game.

@Danikat.8537 said:I suspect the actual answer is game mechanics. In GW1 finding an obtaining skills was a big part of building up your character, so it made sense to have special quests for each profession. They also had quite detailed tutorials, which is apparently something they wanted to avoid in GW2 because at least some people at Anet didn't like it, they just thought it was necessary.

But there are places where your profession makes a difference, they're just more subtle than dedicated quests. For example one of the new side stories involves helping an asuran build a portal detector and if you're playing an engineer you have the option to tell him you know about building machinery and help him do it instead of waiting for it to be finished.

One of my favorite things with LW3 and onward is there’s some subtle differences between classes, IE rangers get to convince a bosses pet to fight for you instead.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Because there are no quests at all in GW2.

Which I think has caused a failing for the game, and why they've gone to making "psuedo-quests" in the form of achievement storylines (which, incidentally, are widely loved).

There are quite a few profession specific dialogues and the like, but not entirely many.

Not sure what Rognik is going on about - such things never really happened ynor did I ever see any such thing in the earlier betas of the game.

Wasaaaaaay back in like alpha the way you’d unlock your traits was specific to your class, EX: rangers would have to go tame X number of pets for a beast mastery trait unlock, but they later decided to go for a more generic approach after the total trait system overhaul before beta even started.

Like, this was back in the skills using energy and everyone having an “energy potion” button.

@"Rognik.2579" said:Honestly, there hasn't been a class-specific quest after leaving Ascalon in Prophecies. By the time we get to Yak's Bend, there were still some quests that taught skills, but they were more generic quests that all classes could participate in and taught one skill for the primary class and one skill for the secondary class. Even the class-change professions in the Crystal Desert were more "anything BUT X" than specific to a profession.

Now, back when the game was first being written, there were supposed to be class-specific content. Each profession would have learned their traits by going out into the world and interacting in their special way. However, it was decided that having content only a specific class could participate in was hurtful to the overall game. I don't remember the specific details, but it amounted to something like "why make content that only 1/8th of the player base would participate in?" There's still a remnant of class-specific content, though, with a certain grave out by Serenity Temple which necromancers can interact with to summon Priestess Rashenna, which probably would've given necromancers a trait. There might be others out there, but very few if any.

I can understand why there aren't more variations like this, but I'll take the small slivers we've been seeing lately, like the Return to Caudecus's Manor or the Escape from the Mordant Crescent Jail. Even small variations for race and class that we periodically see is a touch most MMOs out there don't provide, and while I'd like to see a ton more, I'll be happy just stumbling across the easter eggs that are out there.

I guess that makes sense in terms of actual game content, marketing, player base and such. I just thought that other than your personal story quest, they would include more stuff in the game that would acknowledge your class like maybe for example, during events, theres an optional activity where only a specific class can participate in cooperative activities such as for scholars; summoning or closing a portal, or for soldiers, they get to group up and form a blockade, something along those lines if you get my meaning. It makes the game feel more immersive. But I understand those would take a huge load of work for Anet and will probably not increase their player base.

@Nosajroo.2154 they actually were going to have a system where each class would have fancy special abilities when they pick up environmental weapons, they ended up going back on this idea, but there’s still a few relics of it in the game.

Ex: Eles can turn boulders into meteors, and rangers can “charm animal” some of the chickens and rabbits you can pick up.

I would love to see some special encounters in fractals or dungeons/raids or even just out in the open world for specific classes, but I don’t see that happening.

Hopefully they keep up the trend they’ve been doing though of unique stuff in story instances and current events, like with the device building while being an engineer, asura, or iron legion Charr.

Archived