Get rid of "Souldbinding"! Please!

@"Randulf.7614" said:One particular soul binding that has annoyed me are items from the pof elite collections which i unlocked by killing bounties on one character, but are now locked to that character. It seems rather unfair to unknowingly complete something and not be able to transfer to any alts to use

Yeah, I remember asking how do I unbound and the only excuse I saw was "Oh, they're all the same so you can get them for another character by completing another collection."

Or... or... why the hell is it soulbound on AQUIRING at the very least?!

Thank god I'm not the only one here who thinks this soulbinding stuff is getting out of control. I agree with @Randulf.7614 and @Ayumi A Spender.5172 on the PoF collections especially. It's really annoying. I love Guild Wars, been playing it since forever, but soulbinding is really redundant. I personally don't mind accountbound stuff but I think soulbinding has to go.

@Raizel.8175 said:I kinda don't get the problem?

Ascended = Accountbound, anything less = soulbound.

It's a problem because gear isn't cheap and I like being able to swap gear that I've earned among my characters in my account. Some gear is really hard to acquire/craft too and it's a shame that say for example the elite specialization collections for PoF you'll as mentioned before get it without even really trying to get it but it's not for your character who's say a Dragonhunter and you want to give it to your other character that's a designated Firebrand. Sure, most people just run one character with all Elite Specs but it's just an example. Point is, why is there soulbound stuff when they can obviously just make it all accountbound or unbound? They should at least do accountbound on use. There's literally no reason for soulbinding anything. That's what we have a problem with.

Never really been bothered by soulbinding in GW2 tbh. Though I often wonder why ANET think it a good idea to put low level items into things like dust eater gifts when opening on a max level toon cos you wont use them, cant sell them, cant salvage them and as they are soulbound, you can't save them for new toonies... just a silly idea all-round :)

Soul-bound items have very limited use in this game (meaning realistically, not the way Anet uses it).Character birthday gifts are soul-bound. This I can see. It's a gift for that character, etc., even if the items inside it are account bound or even trade-able.Binding an item on equip is a gray area. If I recall, the idea goes all the way back to table top RPG games where a certain weapon or piece of armor would be bound to the characters soul upon use in the fashion of how a "familiar" shares a soul bond with it's master. In some cases it would increase the abilities of the wearer/wielder. A "big sword of fire" might do burning damage when the bound character uses it, but if it was knocked out of their hands and someone else tried to pick it up, it would burn them, etc. Those mechanics are non-existent in this game. Attribute levels are standard across the board based on fine/master/rare/exotic/etc.. Additional modifications are via runes/sigils. (the ability to get a sword drop that has special damage stats was sacrificed to the e-sports gods when they decided to soul-bind e-sports and PvE). That said, soul-bind on equip does have a value in that worn items are forced to be salvaged/destroyed, which, for economic reasons, is beneficial to the game. So bind-on-equip makes sense for non-ascended/legendary itemsIt would be something that Anet could chip away at, like they did with the collection storage stuff. Find a set of items that are souldbound, and change them to account bound, then find another group, etc. There are a number of trinkets that you can get as loot that are soulbound on accquire. I have never once on any character that I was leveling up the traditional way had one of those trinkets drop and actually be of any use. The stats are random, it's level is usually lower than your current worn items, and so on. They need to be made either account bound, trade-able, or marked as junk.Some festival items are soul-bound also, which is another spot that changes could be made.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@I Love Root Beer.1872 said:Thank god I'm not the only one here who thinks this soulbinding stuff is getting out of control.Out of control, lolwat?

I would hate to see how you guys would feel without a wardrobe (ie no account based skin replacements) or with soulbound and unique legendaries. Because thats how GW2 was once.

I do remember. I’ve been playing since day one release my dude. It didn’t bother me too much at first which is why I haven’t said anything until now. What we’re irritated about mostly is soulbound on acquire or say I’m adventuring with my Dragonhunter not really going for anything and get something for a collection that would be useful for another character but that item is useless because I can’t transfer it to the character I want it on. I know they watch this forum which I applaud them for at least giving some insight or some sort of response to complaints from players I’m not saying they’re pieces of crap or anything at all. I only started this topic to first see if there were other people who agreed with me, which clearly a lot of people do. I’m aware that some people might not agree and respect that and I’m glad that opinion is put up here too but my other reason for posting this is in hopes that someone from ANET sees this and (call it wishful thinking) considers bringing it up and maybe changing it. That’s what the forum is for anyway for feedback among other things.

Yes! I agree. IMO, they should either be account bound or just plain ol' unbound. It's unfortunate that I have a character that can really benefit from one item but another character already has a claim to it. I can't really justify the existence of soulbound in the game. It just doesn't have a use. Maybe a character boost? +20% Magic find? +10% gold?

The whole binding issue really shows its ugly side when you have many characters on your account and it is worst when you have a combination of a

1. account or character bound item, which
  2. you can not use (anymore) or do not want to use, and which
  3. does not have a vendor price, with the special aggravation bonuses of
  4. dropping at a ridiculous rate and/or
  5. requiring entering the item name to confirm the deletion.Some Halloween stuff is infamous for that. I would gladly put all the Limited-Use Scarecrow Finishers up for sale on the trade post even if they went for 2 coppers each if that means I had a better option than deleting each stack manually by choosing the option and typing "250 Limited-Use Scarecrow Finishers" in the confirmation box.

Archived