1070 Crashing issues help needed

Hi All,

I have recently got a new gaming rig it is a laptop due to recent space requirements I had to get rid of my old pc rig.

The laptop has the following

17.3” 120Hz 1920x1080i7 6820HKNVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5512GB (2x 256GB SuperRAID) SSD's1TB 7200RPM HDD32GB DDR4Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

Everything is up to date from BIOS to Drivers. For the most part this laptop eats up anything I throw at it gaming wise from GTA5 to FTL the only game I am having issues with is GW2. If I run the game at max performance in LA all I have to do is pan the camera and bang system reboot. On lowest settings it seems to be okay but will crash every 30 mins or so.

I found a youtube video which pretty much is the behaviour I get when the crash happens

Do you have any suggestions I have reached out to both support lines for my device and game.

Many Thanks

Thanks for your comment but I don't have a Logitech mouse I have pretty much disabled everything like this I have even tried a fresh install of Windows. I have tried under clocking my GPU and it seems to last a little longer before a crash happens. Really want to get a fix for this before Path of Fire. It just seems as though GW2 doesn't like the 1070.

@BrotherDredd.1630 said:Thanks for your comment but I don't have a Logitech mouse I have pretty much disabled everything like this I have even tried a fresh install of Windows. I have tried under clocking my GPU and it seems to last a little longer before a crash happens. Really want to get a fix for this before Path of Fire. It just seems as though GW2 doesn't like the 1070.

Is there anything else running in the background? And how are the temperatures on your system?

Temps are fine CPU hit 60-70°C under max load and GPU is at 60-70°C. I can load up the game and literally pan my camera in LA and crash temps are not even past the 50°C mark at that point. This laptop has some pretty insane cooling and I have ran stress tests to see how efficient it is cooling all benchmarking/ stress testing software hasn't phased it.

I might have a solution though I am currently investigating the boost clock. This model seems to have a higher base boost goes up to 1900mhz Standard boost is 1650mhz. This might lead to crashing if the game cannot support this high of a boost clock. So far I have just noticed every time it crashes the core clock is 1800mhz+.

@BrotherDredd.1630 said:Temps are fine CPU hit 60-70°C under max load and GPU is at 60-70°C. I can load up the game and literally pan my camera in LA and crash temps are not even past the 50°C mark at that point. This laptop has some pretty insane cooling and I have ran stress tests to see how efficient it is cooling all benchmarking/ stress testing software hasn't phased it.

I might have a solution though I am currently investigating the boost clock. This model seems to have a higher base boost goes up to 1900mhz Standard boost is 1650mhz. This might lead to crashing if the game cannot support this high of a boost clock. So far I have just noticed every time it crashes the core clock is 1800mhz+.

Strange that boost would crash the game, I get 2090mhz+ on my 1070 and haven't had any issues. I'd also update to the newer drivers that are out now: 385.69 (make sure they are the mobile ones too) and be sure to use DDU (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=879) to uninstall previous drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the exact same problem for months now, and still not managed to fix this issue. Turn the shaders to low. It still doesn't fix it, but it's less often. Seems to happen in particular areas of the game where there is a lot of graphical effects happening. Is there a clear fix for this yet?

At risk of garnering ire from certain members of the community who are vehemently opposed to this approach, I'd suggest to try down clocking your video card a bit. It's no guarantee of a fix, but over clocked hardware is well known to occasionally cause issues for GW2 and the problem seems to be almost exclusive to nVidia. In 5 years, they've never given an explanation why, nor have they ever fixed it, only acknowledged the potential problem. 5% is usually good, but I'd go with a full 10-15% reduction on that card just to be sure it's enough for the initial test. Even at a 15% reduction, a 1070 is massive overkill for GW2. If it works, if you so desire, then you can start increasing the clock speed again to see where the threshold is. I never did, since it works fine and couldn't be bothered since the down clocking is only ever in place for GW2. It's a quick and easy thing to do with MSI Afterburner or nVidia Inspector.

I fought this problem for over 3 years with my 670, trying to debug it with ANet, nVidia, eVGA and the shop where I bought the machine, and down clocking not only fixed the crashing but allowed me to unlock my frame rate and increase my graphics settings.

It's an easy test that doesn't cost any money and, in my case proved to be a permanent fix where I have not had a single crash while being down clocked...not one. I just down clock it before starting GW2, and set the clocks back afterward. nVidia Inspector makes this quick and painless, giving you the option to create shortcuts on the desktop to change the clock without ever having to open the application beyond the initial setup. Just create two shortcuts, one to down clock and one to set it back.

• 2 weeks later...

@OGDeadHead.8326 said:You may want to check out bios upgrades for the GPU as well, if you haven't already done so. I used to have issues with an AMD card, graphical artifacts and crashes. Tried everything I could think of, even downclocking it, but nothing helped until I upgraded the bios.

There's a big discussion about this issue (random PC restarts with GW2) at similar thread - https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/6494/computer-flat-out-shutting-down/p1. And no solution also. I have the same problem, but with desktop and MSI GTX1080. It started when i upgraded GPU to GTX1080 from GTX1060 couple of weeks ago. And of course everythin' is ok (temperatures, stress-tests, drivers, other components, any other games etc.) Problem ONLY with GW2 : game froze for a sec and PC randomly restarts. Doesn't matter where : it may be crowded area or instance where i'm alone, absolutely random. The only thing i've mentioned - this issue getting worse after Haloween patch for me.

People suspect faulty Power Supply Unit when smthn like this happens and i've changed my PSU to absolutely new and better one. Aaand... It doesn't help at all, i got the same random restarts. The only thing i haven't tried yet is to update my GPU's BIOS. Maybe it's worth a try. But i have no idea how to do it.

@abomally.2694 said:

@Exstazik.5847 said:

There's a big discussion about this issue (random PC restarts with GW2) at similar thread -

Shutting down and restarting are two completely different problems. That thread not about restarts (although it's now more focused on GPU problems).

Thread i've mentioned is about every kind of this issue if you read it. People there mentioned shutdowns AND system restarts. So i can't see any problem here.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update - I have found out that certain GPU boosts (so far MSI based ones?) do not play well with GW2 (and other games) and will cause a crash. I have found this out quite simply by changing my video cards bios to only clock boost up to 1600mhz normally I can do over 2000mhz give or take. Underclocking the GPU will not help as that just lowers your core clock speed not the boost.

If you have an MSI product that has shift technology Sport, Comfort and Eco modes if you change it to eco mode this disables the boost you can then overclock your GPUs core clock speed with afterburner to get desired results(still not a great method but it stops the crashing). You can also update you vbios to restrict the boost down to 1600mhz see MSI's site for support on this as the vbios isn't listed you have to request it which is odd. This method is a pain as it will affect your other games! If I am doing a big session on GW2 say a weekend of playing I will swap vbios to be able to play on highest settings if I am just going on for an evening I have started using my video card in eco mode (no boost) and take the hit on graphics.

I hope Arena Net sorts this out soon, as other games have had this patched out of them now.

I've never liked the dynamic frequencies that AMD Wattman and NV Boost(?) programs produce. Dynamic core frequencies don't seem nearly as impactful as Dynamic Memory clocks. I've seen vRAM frequency deviations of as little as 100MHZ cause a serious "hitching" which would rarely lock the whole game for me. Music still plays and, eventually, starts a few second loop, mouse cursor still moves, and still be able to hit desktop and close the program.

I've disabled all Wattman profiles and overridden the clocks,voltages and fan speed curve with MSI Afterburner. Never had a problem after that.

Archived